• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Top police officer helped family during recruitment drive

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Top police officer helped family during recruitment drive

Post by falkor » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:48 pm

[ external image ]
Grahame Maxwell: Chief constable
By Chris Brooke Last updated at 9:48 PM on 25th November 2010
One of the country’s top police officers could be sacked over allegations he unfairly helped family members during a recruitment drive.
Grahame Maxwell is the first UK Chief Constable in 35 years to face a disciplinary hearing and could lose his £133,000-a-year job if found guilty of gross misconduct.

His £109,000-a-year deputy Adam Briggs faces a lesser charge of misconduct for his part in the incident, and could receive a final warning.

The charges follow an investigation by the Independent Police Complaints Commission into their North Yorkshire force’s drive to fill 60 vacancies in February.
Applications forms were only being made available to the first 1,000 suitable candidates, although the force received 350,000 calls in the week the phone line was open.

It is alleged that the chief constable phoned one of his relatives, who was trying to apply, after a hotline crashed because of demand from thousands of potential candidates.

Relatives of both senior officers did not make it on to a list of suitable applicants before the lines went down – but were still called back.

nottac
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Top police officer helped family during recruitment driv

Post by nottac » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:39 pm

cant believe that this has gotten this far. He helped a family member into the recruitment process. So what. He is the chief of his own force and should be able to have a say on his own staff. A priviledge of rank surely. How much public money has been wasted on this investigation!

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 pm

I totally disagree. He is not the owner of the constabulary. He is an officer serving the public and the crown and therefore should have no powers to move anyone up the recruitment stage. 2 members of staff have been sacked over this. He should be too. Shame on him!

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:29 am

nottac wrote:cant believe that this has gotten this far. He helped a family member into the recruitment process. So what. He is the chief of his own force and should be able to have a say on his own staff. A priviledge of rank surely. How much public money has been wasted on this investigation!
I couldn't disagree more. If this Chief Constable has manipulated the process to give a family member an unfair advantage, he should be immediately sacked. He, more than anyone, should know that no-one is above the law.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:42 am

I think what is also quite staggering in this case are the numbers involved
Applications forms were only being made available to the first 1,000 suitable candidates, although the force received 350,000 calls in the week the phone line was open.
advertised
vacancies
actual
new jobs

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 am

It just shows how desperate people are to get a job for life. Even people who's dream was never to be a police officer will be tempted by the decent wage, good pension and secure position. It will be interesting to see the outcome of the diciplinary. Does anyone know anymore about this?

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:29 pm

A fine and/or a gross misconduct hearing to set an example, yes. Giving him the sack is over the top.

He didn't exactly help someone commit murder, did he? Let's keep things in perspective.
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Catweazle wrote:Giving him the sack is over the top.

He didn't exactly help someone commit murder, did he? Let's keep things in perspective.
No he didn't, but neither did the two members of staff who have already been sacked....

He is the highest ranking officer in that force and should set the highest standards.

Best thing he can do for everyone is resign.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:18 am

Catweazle wrote:A fine and/or a gross misconduct hearing to set an example, yes. Giving him the sack is over the top.

I think maybe it's YOUR perspective that's skewed. He used his position to try influence the recruitment process in favour of a relative - that's nepotism.

He got the sack. Good result IMHO. He can always send his CV to another Police Authority (or from next year, to a Police Commissioner :slsic: ).

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:53 am

Bert- I'm not infavour of sacking unless it's very serious. Yes, he should set the highest standards- and should be allowed to explain himself. How do you know that the relative he helped is not of good character, someone he knew would be very good for the job? And he did this once, not numerous times after being warned not to do so again. As I said, I think the sack is too harsh in this case.

Compare him to Ali Dizaei- a bully who was seen as a feared mafia boss. Dizaei got what he deserved... finally. And it took sooooo long to sack him. Hardly proportionate if you compare the cases, is it?

Arthur- Yes, it's my perspective. The punishment I suggested plus the publicity and all the flak he'll get from all this is punishment enough in my view. I'd like to know what locals who actually know him, what experience he has and what his work record is like to have a say in this.

Incidentally, a PCSO I know got suspended for being caught drink-driving. He was suspended for a couple of months and was re-instated (rightly so in my view- since the fine and suspension he got were punishment enough). No doubt some on here would have enjoyed playing judge and jury and demand he be set as an example and get the sack for doing something very stupid (no one was hurt, no damage was done).
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Not sure you are in the right job Catweazle....

It does not matter how good the candidate that he tried to help was - that is irrelevant. He gave an unfair advantage over other candidates because of his position.

I do not share your view that your colleague who was caught drink-driving was just "stupid" and you seem to trivialise the offence by saying "no one was hurt, no damage was done".

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Bert- In this job there is discretion...

I already said that he should be punished for abusing his position- I just don't see any logic in punishing him twice over.

I'm not trivialising the offence of my colleague. He was rightly punished like everyone else would be- points off his licence, a fine and suspension... why should he get the sack as well? He was lucky no-one was hurt and no damge was done- as that would have obviously made a difference.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Why would it make a difference?

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 am

It would have made a difference if there had been an accident. There wasn't, hence my comment of 'no harm done'.

GMPCSO
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GMPCSO » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 pm

so if someone started throwing petrol bombs in the street but nobody was hurt as a result ("no harm done") they should be dealt with more lightly?????

Driving whilst drunk is dnagerous and anybody who does it but "doesnt hurt anyone" should be dealt with as harshly as someone who does crash / have an accident etc..... they are just lucky they didnt.... you need to be dealt with the same to prevent idiots like this killing someone by taking a chance.

ANY police officer / staff / pcso... whatever should be sacked without question for drink driving, they should know better and set an example :slrnt:

I certainly wouldnt be saying "its ok, nobody was hurt" if some drink driver came flying down my street.... Id want them dealing with harshly and if they were a cop id be fuming...

I would like to see you stand in front of someone who has had a family member killed because of an idiot like your colleague and make that statement.... I cant actually believe you have wrote it.:slna: :slna:

And in relation to the actual post in hand, he should have known better and said to his family member that he could not help out. If a PC was paraded in front of him for doing the same im sure he would sack him as a matter of integrety / dishonesty. So many people want to join the police, as it says in the story your up against hundreds of people just for one job..... A clear abuse of power...... Should he have been sacked???? maybe, maybe not. Not our desicion..... but one thing is for sure, he should have known better and the risk he was taking, He for one will know the stance professional standards would have taken on the matter....

He has dug his own grave knowing what the risks were, no sympathy at all

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic