• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Forgotten the insurance? Your car could be seized

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Forgotten the insurance? Your car could be seized

Post by falkor » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:37 pm

By Ray Massey Last updated at 3:34 PM on 19th January 2011
Motorists will need to keep their insurance policies up to date if they don't want to fall foul of a new law that could land them with a £100 fine - and even the loss of their car.
Thousands of drivers risk having their cars clamped and seized in their driveways under tough round-the-clock insurance rules which will come into force this spring.
Ministers say the crackdown - which includes automated £100 fines through the post - is designed to tackle more than a million uninsured rogue drivers.
[ external image ]
the new government rules called ' continuous insurance enforcement', which were launched this month and come into force in the spring, mean a car must be insured 365 days a year - whether it's on the highway, off-road in a driveway or garage
It spells the end of the days when drivers might let their insurance lapse a few days before renewing it - relying on the fact it is off the road and therefore safe from prosecution

Some 1.4 million people across the UK are driving uninsured, according to the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB), which holds details of about 35 million vehicles and is used by the police to seize uninsured vehicles - with 180,000 being seized in 2009.
Uninsured drivers cost the UK about £500 million each year, adding £30 to premiums. In 2009, 164,000 people were convicted for driving without insurance.
But the new government rules called ' continuous insurance enforcement', which were launched this month and come into force in the spring, mean a car must be insured 365 days a year - whether it's on the highway, off-road in a driveway or garage.
It also creates a new offence of keeping a vehicle wi thout insurance. This is in addition to the existing offence of driving a vehicle without insurance. Drivers who ignore the new rules face a £100 fixed penalty notice - reduced to £50 if they pay early - but could ultimately see their uninsured cars clamped, towed away and crushed, as well as a £1,000 fine if the case goes to court.
Innocent drivers confused by the changes - or who simply forget to keep their insurance policies topped up while, for example, on holiday or in hospital as their car sits in the driveway - could also find themselves lumped in with the 'real rogues', the AA has warned.

The new system will be policed continuously from the record - meaning a car is automatically flagged up on the computer when its insurance runs out and is not renewed.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/articl ... z1Bsv2EM1c
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Re: Forgotten the insurance? Your car could be seized

Post by averagejoe90 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:21 pm

This sounds good, it will make people may buy DD or declair there car as SORN, although i can see alot of people declairing SORN and continueing to drive.

(sorry i usualy check spelling before posting but word isnt working for some reason!)
AccountKiller

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:47 pm

averagejoe90 wrote:This sounds good, it will make people may buy DD or declair there car as SORN, although i can see alot of people declairing SORN and continueing to drive.
It would certainly make it easier to spot the uninsured vehicle as a SORN would show up on any vehicle PNC check but there are lots of occassions where an insurance check is not permitted. I am all for this.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:47 pm

averagejoe90 wrote:This sounds good, it will make people may buy DD or declair there car as SORN, although i can see alot of people declairing SORN and continueing to drive.

(sorry i usualy check spelling before posting but word isnt working for some reason!)

I dont get how that would work, as is stated in the article the vehicle must be insured even if off the road.

I think we should have an insurance disk, like a tax disk.

I have to say that i have in the past not renewed or not started insurance, or in some cases suspended it when my car has been off the road due to accident damage or a mechanical failure.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:26 pm

the dark lord wrote:

I dont get how that would work, as is stated in the article the vehicle must be insured even if off the road.
It just means not parked on a public highway. If your car is parked in a private driveway uninsured but not declared SORN the hammer will fall. Thats how I understood it anyway.

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Sgt87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:15 pm

CIE does not provide police with any additional powers. It is purely an administrative power. The Motor Insurer's Bureau and the DVLA have a computer comparison system to identify uninsured vehicles. The MIB will provide the DVLA information about uninsured vehicles and will write to registered keepers whose vehicles are believed to be uninsured. The DVLA will be responsible for issuing fines after a set time period. I was fortunate enough to receive a briefing from the MIB and the DVLA last week.

I would be very surprised if uninsured vehicles parked on private drives will be subject to seizure as the legislation only refers to road or other public place.

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:15 pm

The new rules mean that your car must always be insured - on or off the highway - unless it is officially registered with the DVLA as being off the road under what is known as Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

If you have a car that you dont want to insure, all you have to do is SORN! & NOT drive it.

With regards to a vehicle that is not insured, or taxed and on your driveway that you own and then being fined, is just going to be another DVLA scam! Its only purpose is to make money. I thought we got away from these scams? Lets face it DVLA loses information on a regular basis, its a scam of an organisation I feel concerned for inocent people.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic