• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Toy chopper grounded by PCSO

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Toy chopper grounded by PCSO

Post by falkor » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:51 pm

By Lee Husson 8 June 2011
A REMOTE-control helicopter pilot has hit out at community police officers after being told he could not fly his machines 200ft in the air because it was “too dangerous”.

Peter Antonio, of Eversley Park Road, was stopped by a PCSO while at the controls in nearby Grovelands Park last Wednesday. Mr Antonio, who says he has been flying the RC helicopters in the park for many years, was told to land it immediately, despite his protests that he was in an open space and not flying near any fellow park users.

“I’ve never had any trouble before,” he told the Advertiser. “I fly them usually between 200ft and 300ft.

[ external image ]
A PCSO asked Peter Antonio to stop flying his mini-helicopter in Grovelands Park
“I heard a voice behind me saying ‘put the control down, sir’. I turned around and it was a PCSO.

“I joked that I should probably get permission from ground control first, but he didn’t seem too amused.”

An Enfield Council spokesman said that there is a bylaw which outlaws the flying
of some larger helicopters in the borough’s parks, but added that it is down to the discretion of the police as to what constitutes dangerous flying.

“How can it be dangerous?” Mr Antonio added: “It’s not like I’m flying it around people’s heads – it’s 300ft in the sky. It’s no more dangerous to others than people kicking a ball around or playing frisbee.

“I spoke to the park manager and said if I can’t fly them in the park then where am I supposed to go? There’s nothing in the park to say I can’t. If this is now the case then an area should be designated where you can.”

A spokeswoman for Enfield police said: “While we cannot confirm the circumstances of this particular case, our parks unit officers are expected to keep our parks and open spaces safe for all park users.”
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Toy chopper grounded by PCSO

Post by mj12cz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 am

Crikey some PCSO's really need to find something better to do. :slroll:
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm

I have to say that I'd have ignored the instruction from the PCSO.

Sorry but its jobsworth idiots like that that give the rest of you a bad name..

Whatever next? No playing football in the park?
Ridiculous...

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:56 am

Careful now...

We know nothing about this incident except for the account given by the person in breach of the bylaw.

Perhaps a barrage of calls from local residents prompted the PCSOs action.
Perhaps it was early in the morning or late at night.
Perhaps he was buzzing sheltered accomodation.
“How can it be dangerous?” Mr Antonio added: “It’s not like I’m flying it around people’s heads – it’s 300ft in the sky. It’s no more dangerous to others than people kicking a ball around or playing frisbee.
Do a quick "Google". People have been killed by model helicopters, and they are notoriously dificult to control.

As far as I'm concerned it's just another one-sided PCSO-bashing article. And the hysterical criticism so far does the posters no credit.

Islandbeat
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Islandbeat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:55 am

Totally agree Arthur, without the full account which the police rarely give, it's not fair on the Pcso to criticise him/her because they may have been told to stop the helicopter flying.
I know that I have been ordered to do at least one thing that to me has seemed a bit officious and may looked to the public as if I'm a Pcso on power trip, quite the contary.
Pcso yesterday, today and hopefully tomorrow!

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:41 am

Easy to jump to conclusions in cases like this- true, we don't know all the facts.

I would say that the best thing a PCSO could do in such a case would be to tell the guy that safety issues need to be pointed out- in which case I just need to record his details (on a 5090) to show that I have pointed out safety issues.

That way, the guy would be more aware of his responsibilities, and the PCSO will have done his/her job.
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:05 pm

Sorry Cat but I disagree, I don't think a grown man needs to be given a lecture about the dangers of model toys... as for the Bylaws I would leave the council to deal with that.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Minx
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Minx » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:11 pm

mj12cz wrote:Sorry Cat but I disagree, I don't think a grown man needs to be given a lecture about the dangers of model toys... as for the Bylaws I would leave the council to deal with that.
Two words, Mini Moto...?
Minx

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Minx wrote:
mj12cz wrote:Sorry Cat but I disagree, I don't think a grown man needs to be given a lecture about the dangers of model toys... as for the Bylaws I would leave the council to deal with that.
Two words, Mini Moto...?
I thought Mini motos are subject to the RTA and the Highways Act..
Not sure what act of parliament the flying of helicopters in a park would come under but unless the flyer is using his "chopper" to cause alarm and distress Id have left it alone.

We are becoming a nation of moaners. We complain about absolutely everything. We want to live in large urban areas and yet have total privacy and peace and quiet while at the same time make noise etc ourselves.
A friend of mine works for our local constabulary in the control room and has even told me of calls he has received from members of the public complaining about children in the park playing a "noisy game of football"...

Its all beyond me....

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Personally i think i would have maybe had a chat with him, built a bit of a rapport and found out a bit more about it.

But _if_ it is as stated i think i would leave well alone, with a cheeky fly safe and just watch out for people/kids myself.

But we dont know the full circs, as for laws and by laws, there are laws about all sorts, what we enforce is, in general for the lesser crimes, down to the officers discretion.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:40 am

mj12cz- As others have mentioned on here, we don't know the full story. This is like a Met exam question- "What would you do if you saw a man flying a model helicopter?" Impossible to answer, as it depends on the circumstances. Maybe he's been hovering them near people's gardens for hours on end, week in week out and received increasing complaints about the noise... or maybe he's considerate, and just one moaning minnie has complained. The problem with such scenarios is that they never tell the full story- and we all know that we should approach every situation with an open mind, don't we?
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic