• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

National Black Police Officers Association.

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

National Black Police Officers Association.

Post by falkor » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:02 am

http://www.prisonofficer.org.uk/viewtop ... f=3&t=7841
popeye wrote:http://www.nbpa.co.uk/home/index.php/en/

There is a national black police officers association, see above link, is this racist in being allowed to exist ?
Would be interested to know of any thought's and opinions members of this forum have, and would the MOJ/NOMS/HMPS agree to prison officers having a similar association ?
if anybody wishes to join that discussion GUEST POSTING is allowed :slcool:

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re: National Black Police Officers Association.

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:17 am

Apart from the logo on the front page announcing "Human Rights Day 2010" it's a good site. But I digress.

I support my black colleagues 100%

If they feel the need for an Association, then why would anyone not "allow" it? How could anyone not "allow" it?

One day perhaps, our black colleagues will no longer feel the need for a Black Police Officers Association. When that happy day arrives, we will know that we're on the way to eliminating racism.

Until then, we need to challenge racism in all it's forms, both out on the streets and in our Police Stations (how many of your colleagues enjoy a secret snigger at the racist, sexist and homophobic "jokes" in Sickipedia for example?).

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:48 am

I support ALL my colleagues, regardless of race... however, some colleagues are lazy, and some are bullies- NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with race, religion or political views, or even what planet we're from- just individuals.

What's wrong with the occasional joke and banter? Come on, chill out a bit and get a life. I think we're all adult enough to be able to distinguish between a laugh and malicious intent.

For an organisation (The Met) that makes such a big thing of challenging racism in all forms imaginable, a 'Black Police Officer's Association' is very clearly 'racist' by its own definition- and could not be more hypocritical. The very name very clearly specifies race. Only a complete idiot or hypocrite could fail to see what's staring them in the face. For those who still can't see the wood for the trees, let me spell it out- replace the word 'Black' with 'White' for this 'association', and read it again.

Sadly, most (including me) are too scared to say anything (at work) for fear of being labelled 'racist'. If I were merely to suggest, let alone establish, a 'White Police Officer's Association', I'd probably receive a letter of misconduct before it's even been written!

Arthur- Since you insist on "challenge racism in all its forms", then please do the right thing and make a start by challenging the 'Black Police Officers Association'.
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:33 pm

Careful where we go on here, However cat you really do have a point in what you say and i tend to agree with you.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:18 am

Anyone who has questions about the Black Police Officers Association is welcome to join, whatever their race, colour, gender, sexual orientation or faith.

I encourage those who think it is "very clearly 'racist' by its own definition" to join and have the debate directly with black members, who will welcome them.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:06 pm

mj12cz- Thanks- and to be honest, I'm really quite mystified as to why this type of organisation should exist at all.

Arthur- your arguments don't make any sense. If "Anyone... is welcome to join" (the National Black police Officer's Association), then why not just drop the word 'Black'? Then it would cease to be racist or hypocritical, and we could get on with policing.

And why would anyone want to have a debate with black members on promoting separatism for anyone who wishes it, with the sole exception of straight white males? Debate may be interesting- but wouldn't time be better spent on combating crime rather than to claim the nonsense that black colleagues are treated worse than white colleagues in the police?
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:27 am

Why should it not exist?

I fail to understand how you can describe the BPA as racist. There are plenty of associations that represent minority groups and others with common interest or faith:

MPS Emerald Society - http://www.mpsemeralds.org.uk/

Christian Police Association - http://www.cpauk.net/

Gay Police Association - http://www.gay.police.uk/contact.html

British Association for Women in Policing - http://www.bawp.org/index.php

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 am

Bert- Just why do we need separatist grouplets within an organisation that claims to support equality however clearly does not?

I would not have any problem if everyone was treated equally- however, as we all know, if a straight white male colleague was even to attempt to set up a 'Straight White Male Police Officer's Association', he would be out of a job before he could finish saying 'Straight White...'

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:22 am

Then you are missing the point of why such groups exist.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Bert- Discrimination and racism cut both ways- and in a 'fair and free democracy' (as we are led to believe we live in), all views are supposed to count- even the views of the 'majority'. So I don't see how I am missing the point...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic