A North Wales Police custody nurse claimed she had throat cancer to avoid disciplinary action over her sickness absence rate, a panel has heard.
BBC NEWS 5 March 2012
Anna Hulse, 49, from Anglesey, took 69 days of sick leave in three years, a Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) panel sitting in Cardiff heard.
The panel was told she also made an allegation of bullying against an officer dealing with absence levels.
The panel are reviewing her fitness to work.
Ms Hulse was part of a small team of 19 custody nurses that had lost 200 days to sickness in a three-year period to August 2008, the hearing heard.
In summer 2008, the force brought in Ch Insp Robert Adams to head its medical services division, with a view to cutting chronically high sickness absence rates by 50% in six months.
Ch Insp Robert Adams, now retired, told the panel that during a meeting with Ms Hulse in June 2008 to discuss her chronic absenteeism record she broke down.
"I asked her, 'Is there anything behind these sickness absences which would have an explanation?'," he said.
"With that she just burst out crying, which took me aback to be honest. It was a reaction I did not expect.
"I said, 'What is the matter, what has happened?', and she said, 'I have throat cancer', and then I felt just dreadful. I felt awful."
Ch Insp Adams told the hearing that Ms Hulse explained she had a low white blood cell count because of her treatment, which meant she kept getting ill.
But this explanation did
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1084
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 10219
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1453
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1569
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1113
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1335
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1560
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1071
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1005
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1742
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1515
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1334
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1056
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2522
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 1991
Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!