• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Police nurse Anna Hulse 'lied about cancer'

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Police nurse Anna Hulse 'lied about cancer'

Post by falkor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:08 pm

A North Wales Police custody nurse claimed she had throat cancer to avoid disciplinary action over her sickness absence rate, a panel has heard.
BBC NEWS 5 March 2012
Anna Hulse, 49, from Anglesey, took 69 days of sick leave in three years, a Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) panel sitting in Cardiff heard.

The panel was told she also made an allegation of bullying against an officer dealing with absence levels.

The panel are reviewing her fitness to work.

Ms Hulse was part of a small team of 19 custody nurses that had lost 200 days to sickness in a three-year period to August 2008, the hearing heard.

In summer 2008, the force brought in Ch Insp Robert Adams to head its medical services division, with a view to cutting chronically high sickness absence rates by 50% in six months.

Cancer claim

Ch Insp Robert Adams, now retired, told the panel that during a meeting with Ms Hulse in June 2008 to discuss her chronic absenteeism record she broke down.

"I asked her, 'Is there anything behind these sickness absences which would have an explanation?'," he said.

"With that she just burst out crying, which took me aback to be honest. It was a reaction I did not expect.

"I said, 'What is the matter, what has happened?', and she said, 'I have throat cancer', and then I felt just dreadful. I felt awful."

Ch Insp Adams told the hearing that Ms Hulse explained she had a low white blood cell count because of her treatment, which meant she kept getting ill.

But this explanation did
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?