|[ external image ]|
Claire Squires http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2
|The charity fundraising web page set up by Claire Squires, who collapsed and died while running the London marathon last weekend, has raised more than £1m in less than a week – with tens of thousands of people logging on from all over the world to leave donations.|
Squires, 30, a hairdresser, had raised £500 for her chosen charity, The Samaritans, when she began the marathon. But as news of her death spread around the world that figure swelled rapidly.
"This was an emotional tribute to Claire and her spirit, an emotional response," said Rachel Kirby-Rider, executive director of fundraising at Samaritans.
"There's a lot of hardship around in society and seeing the generosity of her spirit, the fact that she was an ordinary girl, and had given up so much of her time and energy for charity, that struck a chord," she added.
At peak times during the past few days, donations to Squires's Just Giving page were flooding in at a rate of £30,000 an hour, with people giving an average of £11. On Friday, the amount raised on Squires's page passed the fundraising website's previous highest total, the £977,000 raised for Help for Heroes by the disabled Iraq war veteran Phil Packer .
The hundreds of short messages left by donors on the page gave an indication of the sense of collective grief and sympathy engendered by Squires's death. She was hailed as "an icon" and an "inspiration". Friends described her as vivacious, upbeat and larger than life.
Speaking to a local newspaper, Claire's father Paul Squires said: "It seems as though my daughter has captured the hearts of a nation. She was a wonderful, loving, giving person and it is some comfort to us as a family that people have responded in this way. It is amazing."
- by powdermonkey Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm Britain has voted to leave the European Union View the latest post Replies 4 Views 802
- by powdermonkey Fri May 27, 2016 10:29 am our Ch Insps are of such low calibre and lacking the requisite skills View the latest post Replies 2 Views 2294
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 828
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 9406
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1141
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1213
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 852
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1053
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1270
- by Bert Moffat Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am download our business cards View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1005
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 839
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 765
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1396
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1290
- by the dark lord Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm is anti climb paint legal? can you use it at home? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1075
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1067
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 827
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2240
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 1729
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.
- Posts: 5050
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:39 am
- Alignment: 'Xevious'
- Location: Surrey
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?