• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Re rostered rest days

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Dec
Rookie Member

Re rostered rest days

Post by Dec » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:05 am

Does anyone know if we are legally obliged to comply with a restday being cancelled and allocated to a future date? Or do our duties teams have to ask us first before they make changes?

bluecopper
Committee Member
Committee Member
Alignment: 'Thunder'

Re: Re rostered rest days

Post by bluecopper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:19 am

Dec wrote:Does anyone know if we are legally obliged to comply with a restday being cancelled and allocated to a future date? Or do our duties teams have to ask us first before they make changes?
Don't know about legally obliged, but I have had colleagues that have swapped RRDs and worked with another team to add these days to their annual leave.

GlynB
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by GlynB » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:04 pm

It will depend on your contract of employment and that will depend on which force you work for.

Most forces incorporate Police Staff Council conditions of service as a minimum requirement. These require that rest days be re-rostered within 2 weeks of the original day. If not taken within 3 months then payment should be claimed. Like annual leave there should be a degree of mutuality in deciding when the RRD is taken. It is important that the day be re-rostered at the time you are asked/instructed to work so that it receives protection if again it needs re-rostering. That protection is about monetary compensation for short notice changes. I recommend that you do not collude with management by simply allowing the owed time to be held fir future use

I suggest you don't simply rely on answers on this site but check your conditions of service and, if unsure, speak with your trade union
Glyn Boyington

xbob89
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by xbob89 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Dec wrote:Does anyone know if we are legally obliged to comply with a restday being cancelled and allocated to a future date? Or do our duties teams have to ask us first before they make changes?
Thought that was a bit of an odd question..... are you able to give a background?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:30 am

It depends how much notice they give you. My contract says they only have to give you 7 days notice I think. Obviously, if you've got something planned on your day then you can appeal to your line manager.
Big brother is watching you.

Dec
Rookie Member

Post by Dec » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Many thanks for your replies

XBO89

In response to your remark to expand...

I recently had a RD cancelled and re rostered, to be taken at my convenience. My issue with the resources team was that I had plans for that day. Never having been in the situation in 6 years of being in the job, I just accepted it as other colleagues.

So back to my original question, are we obliged to comply with the change or should it be a request from the CARM team, after all we are not police officers, who naturally would have to comply with the change.

GlynB
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by GlynB » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:21 pm

I refer back to my earlier answer indicating that a reading of your contractual terms and conditions and consultation with your union would most probably give a more accurate answer.

Contractual issues are not cut and dried and a general answer given here should be understood in that light.

Police Staff Council Handbook indicates that, whilst rest days can be re-rostered, voluntary means should first be exhausted.

Dependent on past practice or local agreement/arrangement the degree to which compulsion can be applied may vary. There should always be test of reasonableness applied. Hence it is best practice to seek volunteers and, if not forthcoming consider reasons why an individual may wish to resist the change. E.g. childcare, long-standing family commitment, expensive theatre tickets bought, etc.

Most people do not have the bottle to stand on and so what the outcome of a refusal will be is unlikely to have been tested. The last time I recall an individual refusing a change (I believe they had good reason ) Management sought and found a volunteer rather than pressing the issue.
Glyn Boyington

Dec
Rookie Member

Post by Dec » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:52 am

Glyn

Many thanks

Dec

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic