The Bristol Post 30 May 2013
TWO friends who used their mobile phones to record proceedings at Bristol Crown Court ended up spending the night in HMP Bristol.
Ian Vaughan and Paul Maddern, both 44, attended to observe the case of a South Wales man being sentenced for conspiracy to supply cannabis. They were both seen to record the hearing on their telephones from the public gallery.
Vaughan, of Sarn, Bridgend, and Maddern, of Aberkeinfig, Bridgend, were both remanded in custody on Tuesday. Yesterday they were brought back to court as defendants and both admitted contempt of court and apologised.
The Recorder of Bristol, His Honour Judge Neil Ford QC, fined Vaughan £2,500 and handed Maddern a six-month conditional discharge.
Richard Posner, prosecuting, said Vaughan recorded nearly an hour of the court case and Maddern recorded 25 minutes in four separate sound files.
Rhodri Chudleigh, defending Vaughan, said his client had been a co-defendant of the man in question and was keen to see what happened to him. Vaughan, an ambulance driver, told the judge he recorded proceedings for his wife Donna, as he would not have recalled what happened.
Nicholas Fridd, defending Maddern, said his client saw Vaughan recording the case on an iPhone and had "messed around" with his old mobile to try to record as well.
The court was told ill Maddern had no connection with the case and had "just come along for the ride".
- by falkor Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 am everybody, please donate £10 View the latest post Replies 1 Views 519
- by powdermonkey Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm 'Chuggers' employed to flag down shoppers View the latest post Replies 2 Views 823
- by powdermonkey Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 pm Detention Officers £14,529 – £18.093 (on appointment) View the latest post Replies 5 Views 2807
- by powdermonkey Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 am The Northants PCSO who is riding tall View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1003
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1093
- by falkor Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:58 pm the Age of Criminal Responsibility Bill View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1587
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 10233
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1455
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1577
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1124
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1342
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:12 am Staffordshire Police View the latest post Replies 27 Views 3307
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1567
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1077
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:09 am explaining what PCSOS do in 2015 View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1047
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1009
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1754
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1520
- by powdermonkey Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:32 am school-run drivers should behave themselves View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1063
- by powdermonkey Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm Traffic wardens 'pressured' into issuing tickets View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1470
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1343
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1068
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2538
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 1999
- by falkor Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 pm doing a witness statement from a victim View the latest post Replies 9 Views 1856
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:53 pm Police Witness, a private company that sifts through footage View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1290
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.