• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

South Yorks 2014 (applied 2012)

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
JordanMB
Registered Member
Registered Member

South Yorks 2014 (applied 2012)

Post by JordanMB » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 pm

Hey guys, I applied for a PCSO position in South Yorks police in March 2012, after being told various start dates and multiple stories I was eventually told that group 3, the group that I was in was no longer being employed.

Obviously I was heartbroken and went on with my life but months and months later they called saying that there is potential that we will be employed after all, I have had to resubmit updated medical and vetting documents and had another drugs test and that is my current situation at the moment. I don't really know anything at the moment apart from rumours from the HR department saying there is a possibility of a March training date.

Is anyone else around that is in the same situation as me? I feel totally in the dark about the whole process and having waited two years for this and having being unfortunate before I am worried history is going to repeat itself again and I will be told there is no position.

I have quiet literally put my life on hold for 2 years, I haven't pursued other career choices, all I have been doing is saving money from whatever jobs I can get to cover the relocation costs that I will have to pay when/if the job finally starts :) I want this job more than anything, I quiet literally havent had a single day where I havent thought about it since I passed the assessment, its my dream to work for this police.

Would really appreciate if anyone else is in the same situation if they'd contact me and let me know whatever they know,

Many thanks
JordanMB

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Re: South Yorks 2014 (applied 2012)

Post by ruben » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:55 am

Hi Jordan,

I have seen and heard many stories which sound very similar to the situation that you are in at the moment. Its a well known practice that police services, as well as other organisations, will have recruitment drives and select a certain amount of people from the process to fill the vacancies but for different reasons and circumstances, not all people that were successful will progress at the point into employment. The main reason at the moment is the huge financial burden all the services are going through, and savings have to be made. Usually, candidates that are successful but don't progress to employment are kept in a 'pool' ready to be progressed when the funding and vacancies arise.

That being said, i would say that by the steps you are now going through, it would appear that the vacancies are now available and the force you have applied for are moving forward to employ candidates from the 'pool' i mentioned earlier. For you, i would see this as a very promising move made by the force you have applied for. It always takes time getting into the police service, and they certainly wouldn't be contacting you, and asking you to carry out further paperwork/medicals for no reason.

Let us know how you get on, and hopefully you will be starting as a new PCSO very soon!

Ruben
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:25 pm

ruben wrote: Let us know how you get on, and hopefully you will be starting as a new PCSO very soon!

Ruben
Thank you for the reply Ruben,

So I called today and I got good news! Contracts are being finalised and will be send this week or next with a start date of 17th March!

They still haven't told me which city I will work in, when would I find this out? I really need to know soon as I an relocating from approx 200 miles away. Do they tell you which city in your contract of during / after training or how does it work? If anyone could answer that for me it would be much appreciated :)

JordanMB
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by JordanMB » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Also one last question, is there anything I can swot up on before training, I want to give this my all and make as good a job from it as possible, do you recommend revising powers and legislation for example? I've been watching a lot of youtube videos of pcso's and their reactions to various situations and have been using that as a bit of light revision. Absolutely can't wait for my training date to begin.

Can anyone tell me what to expect in training and any ways to prepare myself in the best way possible? I'm willing to put in 110% effort, thanks for you time guys! This website has been very helpful to me during my application process and is continuing to be useful! I will make sure I stick around when I begin and keep you updated on my progress :)

JB

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic