Do i become an NBM?

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Do i become an NBM?

Post by ruben » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi everyone.

Im after a bit of advice from everyone in relation to a possibly becoming a beat manager. I have been a PC for over 6 years now and i feel its time for a change. I would class myself as experienced and hardworking, but after being on 24/7 response for the duration of my service, I feel its now time for a change.

Prior to becoming a PC, I was a CSO for around a year, and during that time I loved being part of the team and working within the community. I have spoken to several NBMs who i know very well and they all have mixed opinions, as the role has changed massively over the years.

What would you say the pro's and con's were of being part of a neighbourhood policing team?
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Do i become an NBM?

Post by the dark lord » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

Where I work Beat Officer has in the last 12 months gone from a position that lots of people wanted... Freedom to do your own thing, make of the job what you want, do community work, get to know your beat and offenders all this coupled with no nights at at one point some extra money to what it is today. Basically everyone's helper, you are expected to respond to jobs when comms have run out of bobbies, you will be given taskings and scheduled appointments when the "AppyTeam" cant cope/haven't enough staff, have all taken leave, you are expected to lock up the arrest ready files, you are given hand over prisoners, do house searches, help out the detectives and then maintain your beat, have a good knowledge of what is going on and know all the faces on your beat. Something has to give, usually the beat work. Increasingly they are being given crimes to investigate, often not even on their own area.

In the past year one of our beat bobbies has done his detectives course and gone off as a DC, another three have asked to go to response and been refused release, 2 are appealing the third is mulling her options.

As a CSO, I cant remember the last time my beat officer and & I went for a walk or a drive around, they are normally ringing me asking me to do favours, knock ons, collect cctv etc for crimes they have been allocated as IO.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

haha sounds familiar dark lord I like it :mrgreen:

but this is my take :Ruben in my opinion there are far too many people who view a neighbourhood policing team as an easy slide. Once selected for the job some people can take the view that all they need to do, is the absolute bare minimum or even less.
So you have the opportunity here to shine as never before, undoubtedly the neighbourhood policing team you go to will have PCSOs who quite naturally look to PCs for leadership and direction. Too many PCSOs are disillusioned by what they see PCs doing or not doing. As a PC on a neighbourhood policing team you have the chance to see what your sector needs in terms of the local issues, you have the responsibility and duty to give your PCSOs leadership, example and direction. PCSOs quickly see who the PCs are who "get things done" and "put the effort in" - you can be the PC who your Sgt can trust to motivate your PCSOs, ok it should be the Sgt doing the motivating but very often a PC with the nouse, the real enthusiasm for solving crimes/ issues can be sheer inspiration to the PCSOs and even other PCs. Go to a neighbourhood policing team and get things done Ruben, don't do the bare minimum, go full out, to solve the issues on that patch, inspire your PCSOs and two years on you will probably have amounted huge wads of evidence to go towards promotion, or some other role that by then you want to do.
Some neighbourhood policing teams "settle in" to a daily routine of standard taskings and reactive police work, "reassurance visits" and drive bys, it would be hard to see beyond the established way your neighbourhood policing team works but how grand would it be to put forward some ideas of your own, to achieve solutions and make a real difference to people who live or work on your sector. Striving to do that and get your PCSOs moving on issues that are really worth solving could be your biggest goal yet! GO FOR IT! You could really prove yourself in this role.
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Sun May 11, 2014 9:09 am

falkor wrote:haha sounds familiar dark lord I like it :mrgreen:

I forgot to add...

The beat Manager is then looked to at meetings to have an in depth knowledge of the beat, and then looked at with incredulity when it turns out they dont know the kids, streets, offenders latest addresses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic