• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

SHOCK! far too many children being arrested

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

SHOCK! far too many children being arrested

Post by falkor » Sun May 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Andrew Neilson, of the Howard League for Penal Reform, said alternatives to custody for children must be found in all but the most serious cases.
[ external image ]
He said: “We are still concerned that there are too many children being arrested, especially at the younger end.
by John Siddle 25 May 2014
“Thankfully, police across the country have moved away from performance targets that literally ranked them on arrests, where the more you had, the better you were.

“We saw loads of children being arrested because it was easier to cruise the streets and find them. They knew they have probably been up to no good and had been misbehaving.

“The arrests contributed to targets but it meant that the police weren’t focusing their time on the local burglar or local drug dealer, and clearly, you would want the police to concentrate on that rather than kids being kids.

“There were a lot of children caught up in the criminal justice system unnecessarily for so-called crimes that would probably have been dealt with better by parents or social services.

“There is still work to be done and there is still progress to be made. If a kid has shoplifted from a newsagent we think it would be better to get them talking and see if it can be hammered out in a different way.

“Police need to use discretion where they can to sort minor offences out with hauling a child to a police station.”
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Re: SHOCK! far too many children being arrested

Post by Bert Moffat » Sun May 25, 2014 5:39 pm

So where should we take them?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon May 26, 2014 4:57 pm

" would probably have been dealt with better by parents or social services."

Unfortunately, many of the former don't care what their kids do and many of the latter are underfunded and overstretched. I've been to speak to many parents about their child's behaviour and only a few were concerned. Most were obviously disinterested provided they could watch TV without interruption and some were downright hostile to police intervention of any kind. Some feigned concern yet I saw their child doing exactly the same things a day or two later.

Maybe if the parents could be given a hefty fine when their brat misbehaves it would concentrate their minds.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue May 27, 2014 6:42 pm

it's simple, the age of criminal responsibility is 10

anybody committing a crime at the age of 10 or over needs to be spoken to by Police and if they need to be interviewed by Police which in most criminal investigations is a "given" then an ARREST to get them to somewhere where a Police Interview can easily be organised is obviously on the cards. the only exception to this is where the suspect's name and address are known/ confirmed and they admit the offence and can be issued an FPN

I have had pushy parents in the Custody Suite shouting the odds "don't criminalise my kids!" (meaning don't charge them, don't caution them, don't warn them just NFA) so I can certainly identify with powdermonkey on his experiences
Bert Moffat wrote:So where should we take them?
Andrew Neilson, of the Howard League for Penal Reform, said alternatives to custody for children must be found, but strangely he doesn't bother to suggest what these alternatives might be

he leaves that bit for someone else, he doesn't say who, to sort out
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic