• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Keep taking the tablets . . . . .

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Keep taking the tablets . . . . .

Post by powdermonkey » Sat May 31, 2014 7:40 pm

My force is currently looking seriously at issuing a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 to all officers who use pocket notebooks. Currently only a few have been issued and I imagine PSCO's will be at the end of the queue.

I can see advantages - if entries are typed in they'll be legible; they'll be date/time stamped to show they're contemporaneous; and it should be easy to provide a copy of your PNB just by emailing the relevant section or hooking up to a computer. If there are other functions then their usefulness increases greatly. Access to computer systems (Corvus, maybe PNC, person checks & intelligence) whilst on the street; comparing a photo with the person in front of you; instant access to emails; a camera; Google translate (which I find very useful); a map/sat nav; work related texts to colleagues; built in phone (although their size and shape mean tablets are cumbersome.

The disadvantages? I'm told that you can "write" on them with a stylus which is obviously easier and quicker than typing but I find these things a complete swine to write on; security; loss/damage costs with the attendant unauthorised access; misuse by staff for inappropriate/non police use; screen hard to see in sunlight; their size makes them difficult to fit in pockets and it's yet a bit more weight to carry around.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 of my own, which cost £100 in the Christmas sales. I wonder what the public perception would be of a force buying lots of these whilst complaining of cuts and blaming the cuts for the drop in officer numbers and the closing of certain functions. I also wonder how my force can justify the expenditure when we're currently "looking down the back of the sofa".

Any thoughts, anyone?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Keep taking the tablets . . . . .

Post by falkor » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:09 am

A lot of FPNs are now issued from "computer ticket devices" instead of the old single printed FPNS :slead:

I suppose all this was started by the advent of private traffic warden services. when Traffic Wardens were simply employed by "the police" FPNs were always issued by hand on a preprinted "carbonated" ticket

When more and more boroughs put their traffic wardens over to private companies, this new idea of giving "the enforcers" hand held devices took off

And now we see Police Forces pushing this to replace the traditional PNBs as well! any PCSOs out there doing this already?? :slwoot:
The disadvantages? I'm told that you can "write" on them with a stylus which is obviously easier and quicker than typing but I find these things a complete swine to write on
You can write on them? so why not just have the cheaper more compact Pocket Note Book of old? :sldu2: Call me a stick in the mud and as you say it's "looking down the back of the sofa" days too
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 am

falkor, Have you ever had a delivery where you've signed one of those handheld devices rather than a piece of paper? That's what I mean by being "a swine" - my signature doesn't look the same. I used to have a Palm PDA and that was as bad to write on. It was better to tap a keyboard.

But, hey, this is a force that in the middle of the worst cuts in its history decided to spend money rebranding SOCO to CSI yet saves money by issuing cheap quality uniform items. I've had better hats from Christmas crackers.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:04 am

when those things came out a couple of years ago one of the PCSOs I work with came back from the 1 day course

you have to do a course before you are issued with the device

she failed the course so wasn't issued with one and continues to use her PNB instead!!
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:40 pm

So that's your cunning plan is it? Deliberately fail the course? :D

Unless the force has already decided that the trial WILL be a success, I wonder what they would do with the devices if the trial fails. Will there be a sudden glut of Samsung Tab 3's at the nearest Cash Generator?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic