• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

South Wales Police sack 13 PCSOs after exam cheat claim

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

South Wales Police sack 13 PCSOs after exam cheat claim

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Thirteen Police Community Support Officers (PCSO) have been sacked and one has quit after an allegation of cheating in their final exam.

South Wales Police said the 14 PCSOs were between four and five months into their six-month probationary period.

The cheating was discovered after an "unusual spike in the results".

Director of Human Resources, Mark Milton, said after probationary hearings 13 of the PCSOs were dismissed and one resigned.

He said the force would not tolerate breaches of ethical standards.

Its understood that community support officers who were alleged to have cheated were all in training and had not been allocated to any particular command unit.

A spokesman said: "An unusual spike in the results was identified and the cheating was identified after this was investigated."

The community support officers do not need a formal education but are required to pass the Police Initial Recruitment (PIR) test.

Full report here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-27664571

Extremely embarrassing for all PCSO's if these people turn out to be guilty. Seems likely given that one resigned.

I've never heard of the PIR, does any other force use it and what sort of questions etc are in it?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: South Wales Police sack 13 PCSOs after exam cheat claim

Post by falkor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:40 pm

wow that is quite shocking!! :slzz2: flippin sad as well

that is a lot of PCSOs being sacked

Wales is one of the only Police Forces left who are actually recruiting and increasing their PCSOs numbers !!
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:41 pm

So, it's a fairly basic English, Maths & Reasoning test. Doesn't say much about their self confidence or intelligence if they felt the need to cheat on something so basic. Honesty & integrity straight out of the window.
I wonder how South Wales proved that each & everyone cheated.

trev

Post by trev » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:59 pm

powdermonkey wrote:So, it's a fairly basic English, Maths & Reasoning test. Doesn't say much about their self confidence or intelligence if they felt the need to cheat on something so basic. Honesty & integrity straight out of the window.
I wonder how South Wales proved that each & everyone cheated.
It was nothing to do with the initial English, Math and reasoning tests. It was the final test at the end of their 9 week initial training course. The test they take before going out on patrol with a tutor.

From what I have heard, they have pretty solid evidence that each of the PCSO's had access to the answers although I know very little and it is from rumours so I'd rather not say any more.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:22 am

trev, thanks for the info. I appreciate your comment regarding rumours but could you enlighten me as to the what the final exam consists of? I didn't have one when I went through training; am I right in guessing it's a knowledge based exam them which seems likely?

Maybe there's a new topic there : should the recruitment and training processes and format for PCSO's be standardised across all forces?

trev

Post by trev » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Aye powdermonkey, spot on. The test consists of a number of questions, some multiple choice and some not. The questions are based on the training received in the initial 9 week training and can range from PCSO powers to scenario based questions or providing the definition and relevant legislation for something like theft for example.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:17 pm

9 week training? I thought the highest PCSO training course was 8 weeks, so now it's 9 weeks! :slcool: wow

Trev I assume you did the 9 weeks, which was the best week?
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:31 pm

I've a possibly bigger shock for you, falkor. West Yorks and, I believe, GMP, only give 7 weeks training. There is a 12 week period of mentoring after hat in WYP, but that isn't set in stone; I know of PCSO's who required less and one who needed considerably more. I think a final exam would be a good idea as well as regular training days or even refresher courses. The empty hands skills has to be renewed each year so reminding us of powers & law etc wouldn't go amiss.

Ooops. Just realised there might be a cost implication so forget it then.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic