• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

fitness

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!

Should there be a fitness test for pcso`s and what should it consist of?

You may select 1 option

View results

willt36
Official Member
Official Member

fitness

Post by willt36 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:12 pm

I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on fitness within the pcso`s. When i joined i did not undertake a fitness test at all yet i have had to lose 2 stone and run upto 9-10 miles a week to get in the regs. Knowing the job of the pcso what would be a good test of fitness. As a lot of the pc fitness test has been abolished do you think pcso`s should do the same test or a one off such as a straight run. Bearing in mind the distances walked i believe some sort of fitness test should be introduced.
With great power comes great responsibility

Baby D

Post by Baby D » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:45 pm

I think there should be a 'basic' fitness test to ensure people can cope with the amount of milage that can be clocked up in day with out it resulting in IOD's and time off sick putting strain on the rest of the team being short staffed. Also it would provide reassurance that a colleague that you made be crewed up with would be able to provide resonable assistance comptently in the first instance. I'm not asking for superman (or Cat woman!)! Just we dont get the added reputation of jelly-belly donut eaters....mmm DOUNUT!

jedrick999
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by jedrick999 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:52 pm

mmm DOUNUT!

WHERE!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :roll: :wink:

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:10 pm

I think it should be the same as the regs. The required standard to get into the regs at the moment is sooo low, that if you can't pass it in three attempts you probably aren't fit to be doing any kind of physical job. :twisted:
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:16 pm

I think you should be pretty fit for this job, but being as we're not meant to be running around after people then I think the bleep test is sufficient for PCSOs. We didn't have a medical or any fitness test for this role, and I do know of some PCSOs that find all the walking every day quite an ordeal!

I must admit it took me ages to get used to it. I just love it now, and have never felt fitter and healthier in my life...... abeit I'm knackered most of the time! :roll:

Couldn't imagine ever sitting, tied to a desk again. Love the walking, the fresh air and talking all day...... right up my street :D
[ external image ]

GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

kipper
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by kipper » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:20 pm

Wilts - there is a current thread on this one that started less than a week ago. There was no poll though. I will look into combining the two threads to tidy up a bit.

http://www.policecommunitysupportoffice ... php?t=3213
Tally Ho! Chaps, Bandits 12o/c High.
Affordable Web Hosting Solutions with Unlimited and Multi-Domain Hosting Options www.hostpost.co.uk - Special rates for PCSOs please use contact form on site for details.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:34 pm

You're a busy bee Kipper.... we're certainly keeping you on your toes :P

Have you heard anything about your assesssment day yet, and do you know how long they take?

I still haven't heard anything yet........ a date to go and get assessed :cry:
[ external image ]

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

kipper
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by kipper » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:40 pm

http://www.policecommunitysupportoffice ... php?t=3213
Other topic is now locked this is the contiuation of the fitness thread.

Ali, waiting for results and if passed will be onto the fitness testing myself.
Tally Ho! Chaps, Bandits 12o/c High.
Affordable Web Hosting Solutions with Unlimited and Multi-Domain Hosting Options www.hostpost.co.uk - Special rates for PCSOs please use contact form on site for details.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:44 pm

kipper wrote:Ali, waiting for results and if passed will be onto the fitness testing myself.

It's not nice all this waiting is it, does your head in! :roll:

Are you doing anything in preparation for the fitness Kipper? I've started running, but can't go that far at the moment! :?

Also did you think the assessment day was fairly easy, or did you find it quite daunting? I know you said you found the process very cold and impersonal, but were the actual tests/role play very difficult?

I know you can't say too much (sigining the disclaimer etc) but can you give me an incey wincey clue pleeeeeeeeease? :P
[ external image ]

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:35 pm

Had a foot chase today and he got away.

Pants.

:evil:
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:37 pm

jimbo wrote:Had a foot chase today and he got away.

Pants.

:evil:

Very frustrating when this happens...... some you win, some you lose! :evil:
[ external image ]

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:59 pm

If the pcso's in your station had to undergo a fitness test now say a beep test or 2 mile run how many would pass! Saying that i know pc's that if had to undergo a fitness test now would not pass! Thats good living for you!.. :wink: (anyone for another donut!) :lol:
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

ess
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by ess » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:21 am

We had a fitness test on our assessment day.
And ANOTHER fitness test on our first day of training.

Both of these fitness tests were identical to that of a PC applicant!

And so it should be. And I to know a lot of PCs who wouldn't be able to pass it now, hehehe.

So who was handing out donuts? ;)
The last law in a world gone out of control. Pray that he's out there somewhere.

So where the bloody hell are you?

Ian Shepherd
Rookie Member

Post by Ian Shepherd » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:58 am

Why should I want a fitness test? I would fail. I get out of breath putting my boots on!
Dangerous Tiger.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: fitness

Post by falkor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:40 pm

I think PCSOs have the ideal job to keep them fit, tons of walking or cycling on a regular basis, PCSOs have it on a plate to keep fit compared to other jobs but cop this from the Daily Mail
Employees with cars could be forced to park up to a MILE from the office in radical NHS plans to tackle obesity
By Claire Bates PUBLISHED:11:45, 4 February 2013| UPDATED:11:54, 4 February 2013
Walk to work: Employees should be made to park a mile from the office, suggest experts
School children could take compulsory skipping lessons while office workers could be forced to walk over a mile to and from their desks under radical NHS plans to tackle the obesity epidemic.

Medical experts also want to make cookery lessons in school compulsory with pupils being taught how to make healthy, low calorie dishes.

Dr Frances Howie, assistant director of public health at NHS Worcestershire, outlined the plans at a crisis meeting to discuss the nation's bulging waistline.

One of the more controversial ideas is to force adults to take more exercise by deliberately building car parks three-quarters-of-a-mile away from their offices.

Dr Howie warned experts that 'we cannot carry on as we are.'
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic