• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Polishing boots

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Polishing boots

Post by naughtygoose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:12 am

I never thought I'd spend my spare time polishing boots ever again, but here I am, after finishing my day at work (current job, not as a pcso, start that on the 29th) at 23.08 polishing yet more new boots.

You'd have thought I'd have been good at it after 4 years or so experience, but nope, still pants.

So, does anyone have any tips to get them like mirrors, quickly and as painlessly as possible.

Here's what I've been doing so far.

Applying a decent amount of polish, then a small amount of water and polishing in little circles with a yellow duster.
Breath hot air over it, add a bit of water and then polish it again. Repeat until I can see no more circles and it looks shinier.

Then repeat the whole process again, and again, and again. So far I must have spent 3 hours on ONE boot. And it's still not as shiny as I would have expected........ I want mirrors but they seem impossible to get.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Re: Polishing boots

Post by Bert Moffat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:32 am

Why are you bulling your boots?

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Post by naughtygoose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:38 am

It's just before I start training school. I imagine that we will be asked to do it so I'm trying to get a head start.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 am

Oh

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:50 am

naughtygoose

If the training course is still run like mine was 2 years ago, it will include a bit of square bashing. Not much, just enough for your passing out parade, so will be standing to attention, standing at ease, marching in a straight line, halt, left & right turns. On the actual day, families & friends (up to 3 guests per PCSO if I remember) gather on the "parade ground" and wait. You all march on, stop, turn to face and come to attention. Then you are stood at ease. We were in two lines. The highest ranking officer they can find (that is to say, the one who couldn't find an excuse to be elsewhere) will inspect you. The front line comes to attention and is inspected. Then they stand at ease & the second comes to attention & is inspected. Then both lines come to attention & after a moment you are given the order "To your duties, fall out". For us, it was a right turn, march a few steps and then meet up with your guests. After that it's off to the hall for a speech & collecting your designation card and certificate.

You will be expected to bull your boots and the method you mention is one of them. It takes time as it's a case of building up layers of polish. The method I used was :

1. Turn on a gas ring on your cooker and turn on your cold water tap. Open a bag of cotton wool balls, the type the ladies use to remove make up. Get one wet under the cold tap and place close by.

2. Brush on the polish. It MUST be Kiwi Parade Gloss Prestige. Nothing else works.

3. Hold a boot over the flame, not too close, but just close enough to melt the polish.

4. Immediately put the boot under the water, grab your balls (ha!) and start polishing in little circles. If your balls drag (oh, this is so funny) run the hot water tap over the boot to soften the polish a bit.

Repeat as necessary.

Others on the course just used the cold water method you've been using, others the hot water to soften the polish followed by cold water. The use of a flame was recommended to me by an ex-squaddie.
Bull your boots only on the toes up to where the crease line is from where your foot naturally bends. If you bull past that, the polish will crack on that crease and look bad. People might tell you that Magnums are impossible to bull, but I managed it.

You'll also be expected to have sharp creases on your trousers and to be lint free. I'm sure you already have a steam iron but it'd be a good idea to buy one of those sticky roller things for getting fluff off your trousers and hat.
Don't bother bulling once you're on division. Soldiers have two pairs of boots, one for every day and ones for parade, which are the ones they bull. You'll only have one pair and you'll spend every day bulling them and the shine won't last the day.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Post by naughtygoose » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm

Thanks pm

Will give it a try tonight. The first one has come out pretty nice after another hour on it. I can't imagine me polishing once Ibe finished training. But I remember what it was like last time :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic