What type of equipment do you take out with you?

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

What type of equipment do you take out with you?

Post by naughtygoose » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Just wanting to ask a few pcso's what type of equipment do you take out on patrol. For example, do you wear a belt or harness? What type of tickets? Do you take a torch, if so what's the best kind? What type of boots, hi top or low top?

Is there any equipment that you think you carry that others don't, which you think would benefit everyone?

Do you wear under armour during the winter?

Would be great for new starters to hear your opinions about your equipment as it may help them tailor it to themselves.

Acorn
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Ranger Varient'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Re: What type of equipment do you take out with you?

Post by Acorn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:56 pm

I'm not a PCSO as we don't have them around this part of Canada, I'm a Municipal By(e)law Enforcement Officer; ther is some crossover between the duties of a PCSO and Bylaw Officer; to get to the point, this is what I have:

duty belt with a police service radio (police send us calls/monitor when we are at shady addresses), a surefire LED torch about 4in long with holster, pouch for medical gloves and face barrier.

Two ticket books, one for FPN and one for summonses(reporting).

A written caution book for times that I think a FPN is not needed.

Sharp resistant gloves

Two pairs of boots, one high cut past well past ankle and medium cut just past ankle.

My counter parts in two local cities are issued dog spray as they attende noisy dog calls.

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Post by naughtygoose » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:34 pm

I think dog spray would be a good thing to have. I know pc's have access to it. Would be interesting to see if pcso's would have as well.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:27 pm

naughtygoose,

No we don't. Despite repeated requests for Biteback (?) or similar there's no sign of us ever getting it in WYP
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Radio
Armour
First aid kit
ticket books
alcohol hand gel
2d cell Maglite
Gaffer tape (very useful)
Big brother is watching you.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:46 am

Big Brother,

Is the gaffer tape because you don't have handcuffs? :D

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 am

I can't believe that nobody has said a PEN yet!!!!

Underpants*, Thermals vest*, socks* x2 pairs one thin one wooley, Altberg boots* (winter), operational trousers, belt, waterproof trousers, operational top, body armour, fleece (where necessary & cue endless discussion about if it goes over or under body armour I say over because it has breast pockets and a glued on airwave dock that chaffs/rubs my nipple if i put it under), bruff/neckwarmer*, relevant cycle/walking jacket and relevant hat glove liners* and gloves* (both bought by me because the force issue gloves seem to be colder than wearing no gloves. Radio and spare battery because they dont last the 10 hours in the cold.

Because I have now been 'upgraded' to the new bodyarmour without pockets - genius idea! I have a duty belt which is normally fabric, but i have been given a old fashioned leather belt which stays put better by a retiring officer. On the belt I have the pouch for the first aid kit which has long since fallen out, a radio dock to enable me to press my emergency button accidentally, 2 small pouches* containing what should be in the FA pouch and 6-10 pairs of nitrile gloves, a puncture rep kit (scabs)* a couple of tyre levers* and a CO2 tyre inflator* Two pouches so you can swap stuff from one to another when you need to look for something. I have a notebook pouch* too that I bought of ebay eons ago and is fantabulous, just the right size for the PNB and two pens (ideally one biro and one fine fibre tip* for winter when the biro doesnt want to work), reasonably waterproof and stays shut. The PNB pouch did have press studs holding it onto the belt but these were rubbish, so i got a local saddlers shop* to sew it into a loop with whatever they use for repairing horse leathers with and its been perfect ever since.

We was issued a set of pouches with the new pocket-less body armour including a baton holder, cuffs holder, small and large pouches. Obviously the baton holder is no use to use, some use the cuffs holder as a phone holder and the small pouch is too small and the large so large you can't sit down.

I have a small torch that was issue to me when I started, this has a giant clothing clip rather like a pen and can clip on to body armour/jackets, but to be honest i usually forget to take it out so that stays in my locker.

The problem I have is with no pockets in my Bodyarmour i have nowhere to put my ticket books Etc. This has lead me to either not taking them out, taking only the traffic tickets out (realistically the only ones I use) or pulling a couple of tickets out of the book and putting them in my trouser pockets. If I do take the books out then out they have to go jammed into the fold of my body armour in place of my liver.

Last but not least is my work wallet, which contains 3 access fobs for the differing police stations/posts (yes most of the stations has a different system) a couple more fobs for alarms/doors at community centers etc, hopefully some cash and my ID card.

Items marked with an * are bought by me.

In addition to that i also have to find space about my person for burglary house to house packs, incident/crime report sheets a diary and anything else that I might need during the shift. This usually ends up being crammed into the join of my BA again in place of liver/spleen/stomach.
Last edited by the dark lord on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:47 pm

Now do a foot chase . . . .

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:40 am

powdermonkey wrote:Big Brother,

Is the gaffer tape because you don't have handcuffs? :D

It's actually really useful stuff to have with you. Whenever I've come across a junction box that has been forced open, or for use in first aid if you don't have enough bandages. The victims coat strapped on with a load of gaffer tape will do just as well for stopping bleeding.
Big brother is watching you.

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:20 pm

Acorn wrote:I'm not a PCSO as we don't have them around this part of Canada, I'm a Municipal By(e)law Enforcement Officer; ther is some crossover between the duties of a PCSO and Bylaw Officer; to get to the point, this is what I have:
Erm, where is the firearm, spray, baton and cuffs? What do you do if someone fails to provide details and runs?
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:21 pm

naughtygoose wrote:I think dog spray would be a good thing to have. I know pc's have access to it. Would be interesting to see if pcso's would have as well.
Some in Merseyside do. The ASB taskforce PCSOs used to have it as well as some when they do the beach operations over the summer.
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 pm

powdermonkey wrote:naughtygoose,

No we don't. Despite repeated requests for Biteback (?) or similar there's no sign of us ever getting it in WYP
Buy your own mate. It's not illegal and what do you want - a vicious mauling or keeping your kiss arse boss happy?

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Old PCSO equipment:
4D ? (foot long) massive maglite
First Aid pouch with face mask
Pouch for FPN books

Equipment I carry as a Security Officer in the USA (power plant):
AR-15 assault rifle
S&W M&P 9mm
x2 9mm magazines
x4 AR-15 magazines
OC spray (not CS which is ridic!)
Handcuffs
Cellphone in pouch
First Aid pouch

A bit of a difference! You are actually given stuff to protect yourself / other people, rather than being by yourself with no self defence as a PCSO. Thanks Home Office! I'm still not a bobby though mind! :sltgu:

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:16 am

JimmyRiddle,

It's something I intend to raise when I return to work. One question I am keen to ask, if I do use it and a complaint follows, will I be leaving myself open to disciplinary action and potential dismissal? I understand your comment regarding being mauled, but there is still the issue of how supervision will react if I carry Biteback when it's not been issued by the force. I've heard that it used to be and I'll be trying to find out if anyone still has it, if it was withdrawn or if it's still available through our stores system.

I carry a Gerber tool so if I'm attacked, I might have the opportunity of unscrewing the dog's nuts. :slsm:

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:48 am

powdermonkey wrote:JimmyRiddle,

It's something I intend to raise when I return to work. One question I am keen to ask, if I do use it and a complaint follows, will I be leaving myself open to disciplinary action and potential dismissal? I understand your comment regarding being mauled, but there is still the issue of how supervision will react if I carry Biteback when it's not been issued by the force. I've heard that it used to be and I'll be trying to find out if anyone still has it, if it was withdrawn or if it's still available through our stores system.

I carry a Gerber tool so if I'm attacked, I might have the opportunity of unscrewing the dog's nuts. :slsm:
Anything you do potentially leaves you open to disciplinary acion and dismissal.

Logically, the fource should like the idea of a PCSO suing them for not providing safety gear when being mauled and want to save a massive lawsuit rather than some parhetic complaint from some bloke.

But as you know common sense and the force are two different things. i know people who carry penknives on duty they could complain about that also but where does it end?

Funny how they give it to RM and not all of the Police. Yes i know the risk is higher with RM but it definitely still exists with the Po. Just look at that YT video where that dog is hanging off the Met officer's arm. Fores want to keep the never happy public happy and sod what risks their officers face.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic