• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

First day at training school

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

First day at training school

Post by naughtygoose » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:45 am

It was my first day at training school yesterday.

As imagined I was suitably excited.

There were 16 of us on the course. 8 were being stationed in Bradford, the other 8 in leeds. We've been told that there was another course set for January but that has been cancelled so we will be the last group of recruit Pcsos for a while.........

Anyway,
First was introductions. We were set a task of interviewing the person next to us to gayer information on each other ( favorite holiday, family, biggest achievement etc ) as an I've breaker. Then on to course rules and expectations. What we thought we would be doing as a pcso and our fears when out on patrol.

We had a tour of the training centre ( which is huge and brand new in West Yorkshire ) and then finally onto the course schedual.

All in all a gentle introduction ( or re introduction for me and a few others who have served before).

Funny thing is I have the same trainer as I did 10 years ago as a regular. Always good to see a familiar face.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: First day at training school

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:36 pm

naughtygoose,

Good to hear you've started your course and I hope you find it enjoyable and useful.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:47 pm

the same trainer as you did 10 years ago as a regular :sltee: that must have been surreal

:slch2: I bet he did a double take
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Post by naughtygoose » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:08 pm

It was quite surreal to be honest. He looked at me, then down at the list of names and asked if I recognised him haha. Said I did and he remembered me.

We've had a laugh today with it. Went through the powers that we have and was quizzed on the pace caution and if I remembered it. It still rolled off my tongue (sad after so long I know)

It was interesting to see what powers and responsibilities we had. One such interesting one is we are allowed to search for sharps after we have detained someone, but not if we make a citizens arrest. I get the feeling I know why...... They'd rather us detain than and get a pc out to arrest rather than risk us making a false one etc, but it just seems odd.

Also apparently we can do misper enquiries but only on our own beat, and only face to face. Telephone enquiries are a no no apparently. Unsure how that works (or even if that is followed at division), surely if there are no resources and all it would take is a phone call to locate a misper, surely common sense would apply.

I'm going to try and update this post with any interesting little tid bits when I can.

Apparently we don't take initial victim statements, though we have witness statement training. I questioned this and apparently, this may change in the future, hence the training. (Again I don't know if this is a sandford vs division thing where were not meant to take statements as per force policy but we do anyway).

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:33 pm

talking of victim statements NG what about shoplifting statements?

there was a news article on 22DEC2014 about a PCSO who took 200 witness statements in 3 years all of which resulted in a conviction!

what did training school say about shoplifters ? Any guidance?
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:59 am

naughtygoose wrote:It was quite surreal to be honest. He looked at me, then down at the list of names and asked if I recognised him haha. Said I did and he remembered me.

It was interesting to see what powers and responsibilities we had. One such interesting one is we are allowed to search for sharps after we have detained someone, but not if we make a citizens arrest. I get the feeling I know why...... They'd rather us detain than and get a pc out to arrest rather than risk us making a false one etc, but it just seems odd.
Could I ask why you left and came back to be a PCSO?

Also, the detaining thing is more a matter of legislation more than anything. Some forces can search when detained for articles that may assist escape etc. This meaning of detained comes from the PRA2002. A citizen's arrest has no power of search (although I imagine there's some case law which says it's happened and was okay somewhere but I'm guessing).

You could always detain, search them if they kick off or leggit then citzen's arrest them for escaping from lawful custody or perhaps assault to resist lawful apprehension under the Offences Against the Person Act (I think) as that is a common assault that is indictable.

I am really surprised they are teaching the citizen's arrest laws to you. In inital training they said we couldn't do it as we weren't a citizen on duty which is RUBBISH thanks trainers! Then what the hell am I? Then later in training we did a brief powerpoint as part of our being signed off.

it's not so much a case of a lawsuit as you can get done for unlawfully detaining someone as a PCSO also possibly by false imprisonment or another offence. They both can be done wrong. I just think a lot of forces don't want the idea of PCSOs arresting as they have so catistrophically mis-labelled the job by saying they don't have powers of arrest. Then the suspect's solicitor will push the "I thought these community officers couldn't arrest" routine and then the force backs down even though the law backs you up.

I'm glad they're still teaching the caution. Most PCSOs think a caution is for Police only and shouldn't be used as it will seem they're trying to be a bobby. Wrong. Anyone chraged with the investigation of offences under PACE this applies to e.g. DWP investigators, some G4S probably, etc. it can be anyone. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I know PCSOs who have never given a ticket out correctly (not that they did much anyway)!
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Post by naughtygoose » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:20 am

I left to join the fire service an was unfortunately injured on duty. I was medically discharged

In regards to the caution what you say mirrors what my tutor says. Any time anyone is given a ticket or reported for summons they should be cautioned, otherwise it is unlawful. They need to know their rights.

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Post by naughtygoose » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:40 am

In regards to shoplifters we haven't had much input as of yet but will update as soon as we go through it

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm

naughtygoose

It sounds like the training has changed. As a PCSO you can search for articles that may assist an escape; tobacco if under 16.

Miper enqs? You can do them on any beat and will do, as you could be tasked with doing house to house with colleagues.

Telephone enqs? I do them. Sometimes it's the only way to contact someone! I've just done a reminder by email as the person didn't reply to the first email. Suppose you needed info from someone in the council. You're not going to go round and queue up, are you?

Shoplifting - dealt with by Community Resolution and at the moment that's a cop's job. You will be given the definition (passing all cash tills etc).
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic