• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Staffordshire Police

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Staffordshire Police

Post by gibbsw42 » Fri May 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this :slwo: i have been successful for Staffordshire Police as a PCSO. I should of started my training on the 15th June 2015 but I was referred to the Occupational health, So my start date won't be until September. The email I received from Staffordshire stated that they will notify me August time with a date for training. I was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea when in September in might be?

Thanks for any a help

Will
Last edited by gibbsw42 on Sun May 24, 2015 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Re: Staffordshire Police

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat May 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Should you not ask Staffs Police instead if a dormant site like this?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sun May 24, 2015 9:45 pm

gibbsw42,

Hello to you. When you say you were referred to Occupational Health, was that for something other than the standard health/fitness check? Has Staffs Personnel/Human Resources given a reason for the delay?

It's unlikely that anyone here can answer this particular question. If you already work for Staffs Police do you know of any other successful candidates - it might be worth contacting one of them to see what they've been told.

The site has been quiet for a while (no idea why) so it's good to see new users. Welcome to the forums & hopefully the main man, falkor, will be along to officially welcome you.

Never mind Moffat, he's a miserable so & so who doesn't like PCSO's.

Good luck with the new job and please keep us posted with how you get on with training etc. We'll try and answer any questions you have.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by gibbsw42 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Hello Powdermonkey,

I had to revisit occupational health due to some medical records that the Force doctor had to sign off, all is good now had a email from human resources stating

"Hi William

OH have cleared you as fit to commence as a PCSO. The next course I am
preparing for is September but I am waiting confirmation of start date. I
will write to all candidates once I have confirmation of start dates this
is likely to be late July/August. You should not hand in your notice
until such time as you receive the formal confirmation letter and various
attachments.

Kind regards Kath"

I am just waiting for start date now:)

I don't know anyone from Staffordshire police yet as its all new for me I work in Merseyside as an licensing Officer, just thought I would ask the question on here hoping someone may have inside intelligence on a start date lol
But thank you for replying.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue May 26, 2015 7:36 pm

you work in Merseyside as a licensing Officer, is that with the Council? The ones I know at my Council deal with at least 2 sections of the community, the taxi drivers (Hackney and private hire) and pub landlords

They are very strict on the taxi drivers even right down to how tinted their windows are. even if they have an accident it has to be reported to them straight away, full details! is this what you're doing at the moment Will?
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by gibbsw42 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 pm

Yeah sorry Falker, I work for the council we deal with the same as you have pointed out and traded standards roll to, we work very close with the police and the traffic unit,

My powers are

Dog control order 2011
Clean neighbourhood and environment act 2005
County of merseysdie act1982
Criminal damage act 1971
Environmental protection act 1990
Gambling act 2005
Hackney carriage bylaws
House to house collections act 1939
LCC byelaws for good rule and government licensing act 2003
Liverpool city council act 2006
Local government (miscellaneous provision) act 1976
Paragraph 10(1) schedule 4 local
Government ( misc provision) act 1982
Police,factories ect ( miscellaneous provision) act 1990
Road vehicle ( construction and use) regulations 1986,namely
S 52 town and police clauses act 1947
S137 highways act 1980
Town and county planning act 1990
Town police clauses act 1847

I have do this now for 8 years and have decided to join the police :slcool:

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by gibbsw42 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 pm

We have a unforme witch is like Merseyside's one just are stab vest have Licensing section on it, but I have a hat, Radio CTV cameras , utility belt .

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Fri May 29, 2015 12:51 am

gibbsw42,

You won't get much more uniform or kit as a PCSO!!

I'm pleased to hear that at least one force is investing in PCSO's and thus NPT. Here in West Yorks we're awaiting the next financial year to see what happens regarding council funding. We already know that the division has to lose 35 cops but not if there's to be any cut in PCSO numbers, other than one lad who left and hasn't been replaced. Hopefully, any cuts can be dealt with by natural wastage and redeployment rather than redundancies but we are worried, especially after Theresa May's recent speech to the Federation.

On a lighter note, good luck in your new job, keep us posted with any developments, let us know what your training is like and there's still people on these forums for any queries etc.

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by gibbsw42 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Will done thanks mate

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by gibbsw42 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Staffordshire Police has just finished a group of PCSO training last Friday and will start Junes training on the 15th and after that its Septembers triaging this one i am on :slroll:

Don't know how Staffordshire is doing it! as i have looked around and part from Merseyside Police that are only given PCSO 6 months contract there is no other Force out there taking on :sloop:

All i can say is Staffordshire must had do cuts long before the conservatives got in or they have mad cut through natural waste :slhuh: .

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by JimmyRiddle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 am

Gibbs - Merseyside recruited a few PCSOs last year and they started in May 2014. They're still there so looks good.

Also, I would suggest staying in your job as a licencing officer. You have some Police powers and a whole load that nobody else does. Unless Staffordshire decide to a) keep the PCSOs for the long run (unlikely) and b) give them all their powers, you'll most likely find more job satisfaction in your current job role.

The age old question - a good set of powers you listed above, but what do you do when an investigation is needed? Or powers of search? Or if they simply say "get lost" etc?
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by gibbsw42 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:50 pm

Hello Riddle,

Thanks for the reply, I would love to stay in my job but the council is cutting services to the bear bones and there is no sign of stopping :( we

We was a team of 75 licensing officer and in 2011 and 2014 we where cut to only six to cover Liverpool and there is talk off cutting again.

To answer your question, I don't have any power to demands details from members of public but I do for licence vehicles and licence premises.

I am trained to carry out investigations under PACE where we bring members of public in and interview them undre caution and tape. It not all about the powers for me the pcso role is something I have always like to do and to be given this opportunity to carry out this role it my dream job :slcup:

naughtygoose
Official Member
Official Member

Post by naughtygoose » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:51 am

Hello Gibbs

Good luck. I recently joined wyp in December 2014. A lot of people on this site have been through ups and downs in the job but as a new starter I love it.

I'm sure you will enjoy the role as well. In wyp I doubt the force could run without pcsos as we do so much work which frees up the PCs to deal with call handling. Also in Bradford where I work there is never any PCs walking the streets. It's all pcsos. They have put an indefinite recruitment freeze on pcsos here and u imagine our cuts will come from natural wastage. If they're still recruiting in Staffordshire I'm sure they job is safe.

Congrats and enjoy the training. It's great fun

gibbsw42
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by gibbsw42 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 am

Training date is the 28th September 2015 :D

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:02 pm

gibbsw42

Good to hear. I hope you enjoy the training. It's intense but enjoyable. Let us know how you get on and what you think of it and especially let us know when you get posted to division.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic