• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

ideas for the community

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

baker_1

ideas for the community

Post by baker_1 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:01 pm

hi

i was just wondering what ideas people have weather they have been used or not in helping the community. weather it be a new pcso on a new patch getting his/her face known. or just keeping relationships strong with the public, some ideas on things that are good for adults as well as youths and some for just youths. we all know that summer holidays from school are fast approaching so ideas would be great. thanks

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Played footy on duty with local kids, entering a 5 a-side tournament police team and that has the kids interested who are also entering numerous teams.

Setting up a forum for some new flats that have just been built/open to residents.

After several complaints and making several reports, some mis-used and desecrated lock-ups have been boarded up.

Increasing relationships with PPO's has helped us keep track of them a little more.

More regular patrols where kids hang out etc has enabled us to gather more information as we form a firm but friendly relationship with them.

Generally more patrols in and out of blocks and where known street robbers hang about has seen the residential burlglary rate on our patch drop through the floor.

Finding new drug hotspots and then proceeding to regularly stopping ANYBODY in the said area and going into the area has helped cut down use in vulnerable,tucked away areas-such as car park near library and childrens play areas.

.......their are many more things I could add mate...but not 100% sure what sort of stuff you are after...sorry, I am hungry :oops:...lol

dizzy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dizzy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:25 pm

I would like extra ideas too, so finish your lunch !!

But patrol , patrol, so you are seen

If you are able , school fetes , car boot sales , school patrols.

any where there are loads of public , be seen .... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

baker_1

Post by baker_1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:15 pm

thanks for your input i asked this question because alot of pcso are short on ideas and just to help each other out its best to share ideas. also public meetings is another idea ive had after delivering leaflets to the area informing them of the meeting and explaining to local business how we can help one another. theres a pcso in my area thats offering to post code peoples bikes for free to cut down on bicycle crime any more ideas are very welcome (Lets show the public and the media we are worth the money and can / do help the community)

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:59 pm

Baker_1 this is a fantastic topic! And one I believe should be put up for thread of the week/month.

There is far too much winging and speculating (including myself in that statement) and more should be done to think up great ideas and pass good practices over.

I was considering setting up a 5-a-side football team and inviting some “problem kids” to play in it, supervised by local PCSO’s, but this one may need to be placed on hold for a few months for various boring reasons.

Again great thread and I hope lots reply, this is what this forum is for!!!

micky
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by micky » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:37 pm

baker 1

the best thing you can do for your community is to find out what they would like and do your best to deliver.

Diversionary activities are fun but are very hard work especially if you are the lead organisation.

some of the things you might want to consider;

sport events. perhaps get two local schools to play each other and at the local league ground, or arrange for the local team to provide quality training.

organise a street clean up.

organise a fun day

organise a number of stret briefings

start up and run some form of club for young people.

arrange a night out for the elderly.

make a film

set up a community cinema

arrange for some planting.

design a booklet for use in primary schools to help deliver relevant messages.

The list is endless but what i always try to is to get different sections of the community working together for a common purpose.

Don't forget if you are leading on any of these in London it will be considered a community event and you will need permission and to get insurance.

I'm always willing to help people develop ideas for projects, and can even point you in the right direction for funding etc.
never regret the future.

dizzy
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by dizzy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:07 am

It also helps if you know what sector of the public suits you best to get involved with ( do you get on with small children ) or are you able to comunicate with the teanagers in the area !,
also if you have a hobby you can posibly involve that too, :lol:

METRO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by METRO » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:14 pm

Link in with Partnership Agencies especially with the local council.
Get involved with business watch & home watch schemes.
Network as much as possible and you will find a full army of people ready to assist you with projects as well as funding for others. :g:
'A mind once stretched by a new idea, never regains it's original dimensions'.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:39 am

Police try to recruit kid cops

DOMINIC CHESSUM
08 December 2006 08:46

A pioneering recruitment campaign has been launched which aims to get a team of 'kid cops' to help reclaim the streets.

Norfolk police are looking for youngsters, aged between 11 and 16, to help clean up communities in the North Earlham, Larkman and Marlpit areas of Norwich.

The children - who will become Junior Rangers - would spend about two hours a week taking part in various activities including voluntary work and other community-based projects.

Police community support officers are looking to the business community to help fund the scheme but first need to find enough willing volunteers to join forces with the police.

PCSO Cat Lang said: “I am keen to try to set up a West Norwich Junior Rangers scheme and at this early stage I would like to see how many youngsters would be interested in getting involved.

“I think it would be an excellent scheme for young people in the area and if we can get it off the ground it would be beneficial to local people because of the voluntary work which rangers' groups get involved with in their communities.”

PCSO Lang is currently making applications for funding and approaching other partner agencies for support for the idea.

“I am looking for children aged between 11 and 16 who would like to get involved and I am also keen to hear from any businesses in the area who may be able to support us in some way,” she said.

John Gates, landlord of the Gatehouse, in Dereham Road, said: “I think it's a shame that there's not enough for children to do in the area.

“When I was younger I used to be in the Scouts and we were taught skills like first aid which is obviously an important asset for any community.”

If established the scheme will teach youngsters to take pride in the places they live and will complement the Evening News' Reclaim our Communities campaign.

The campaign, which has been backed by Prime Minister Tony Blair, aims to encourage people to stand up to the minority of people who spoil the areas we live for the rest of us.

Anyone who is interested or would like further information should contact PCSO Lang at Earlham Police Station on 0845 4564567.

PCSO Spurs

Post by PCSO Spurs » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:34 pm

Thanks Baker but has anybody got tips on how to sort car crime out on my beast and any tips for a NEW PCSO?

i am bricking it when i start!!! and my area is known has little bronks

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:35 am

[img]http://www.policecommunitysupportoffice ... llPCSO.jpg[/img] POLICE officers teamed up with coaches from Ipswich Town Football Club to provide free holiday fun for youngsters.

Police Community Support Officer Timothy Hartup, a member of the Iceni Safer Neighbourhood Team, helped to organise the "turn up and play" session at Red Lodge, near Newmarket, yesterday.

Youngsters between the ages of eight and 12 took part in the session, which was backed by Forest Heath District Council and West Suffolk Local Strategic Partnership.

The activities went ahead despite the rain.

An Ipswich official shirt was the prize on offer for the winner of a penalty shoot-out.

A similar session is planned at Newmarket's Studlands Park multi-sports area on Tuesday and Mildenhall's St John's open space on Wednesday.

The summer activities are part of the community programmes organised by the safer neighbourhood teams, launched earlier this year in west Suffolk. The teams include Police Community Support Officers as well as special constables and regular police officers. Their aim is to get close to the community and tackle problems in their areas.

23 August 2007

vjhiggins01
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by vjhiggins01 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:29 am

I am a bit confused here :? :!: Can I ask why a fellow Hants colleague was slated earlier in the week for doing what I consider community engagement simmilar to the above, IMO he was just trying to 'build bridges' with the local youths and if their thing is skateboarding then why not, not all kids are into football.
Sorry for the rant but I feel he was treated unfairly by some people on the forum, arn't we supposed to be supporting each other.

It is too easy to be negative
vj

geordiepaul2005
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by geordiepaul2005 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:18 pm

Is everyone all out of ideas?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:25 am

maybe

:arrow: YOUTHS CAUSING

POLICE SUPPORT OFFICER TO SET UP DANCE CLASS

11:40 - 11 October 2007

Exeter youngsters will soon be enjoying break dance sessions thanks to the city police.

Police Community Support Officer Viktoriya Wilton, who patrols the city centre area, is setting up dance days to run on the first day of every school holiday throughout the year, after being inspired by the success of such a scheme run by police in Cornwall.

Known as Dance EXe, the workshops will be free to youngsters.

But because she will have to pay dancers to run the workshops, Viktoriya needs help with funding and is appealing to Action Echo readers for donations.

To run the scheme each year will cost £6,000 and Viktoriya is convinced that it is worth it.

She said: "It will provide a suitable diversion during school holidays, which will help to reduce anti- social behaviour and criminal damage.

"It will increase interest in dance among young people in Exeter, resulting in the promotion of a healthy activity and develop self-esteem.

"It will be run along the same lines as the scheme in Cornwall which has been successful for two years.

"Those attending have to show respect for each other and other dancers.

"The sessions will start with break dance and street dance and then will divide into four smaller groups and the kids can choose to do jazz or hip hop if they prefer." Viktoriya is a keen dancer, having practised ballroom for eight years, as well as three years of aerobics and cheerleading.

So she is aware of the benefits of dance, both from a health point of view and in terms of giving youngsters an interest.

Viktoriya already has £500 from the Devon and Cornwall Police Neighbourhood Policing fund and £2,000 from the Exeter Community Safety Partnership.

So the October half-term will definitely see the dance workshops get under way.

This leaves Viktoriya with £3,500 to find to cover the rest of the first year of the project.

The first workshops will be held in Exeter's Corn Exchange, formerly St George's Hall, which is being provided free of charge by the city council, on October 22 and 23.

> more on DANCE CLASS

snakeywakey
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by snakeywakey » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:10 pm

Something I've found in our area (as a citizen not PCSO) is that not enough knowledge of who our PCSOs are or when PACT meetings are on.
Is that something PCSO's can change or does that fall to the CBM??

Incidentally, how important do you rate the PACT meetings?? I've only seen the CBMs attend not actually any PCSO.

(only a few more posts and I get another star :wink: )

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic