• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play
As the horror of the Grenfell Tower block fire unfolded on Wednesday (June 14) morning, people from across the country have started asking what they can do to help those affected.

It's thought that around 500 people call the Lancaster West Estate high-rise home, and they need help - most of them will have lost everything.

getwestlondon has launched this JustGiving page, in aid of those affected by the horrific fire.

Although we'll never be able to replace their loved ones, memories and homes, we can help them rebuild.

We can show them that there's a whole country of people willing to support them as best as we can.

So if you can afford it, even just £1, please show these people some love at this terrible time and donate.

What to the Public think of PCSO's?

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:57 pm

tim419 wrote:Oh dear, maybe you don't understand the purpose of your role. You're not a lion with no teeth, neither are you the only patrolling unit out there.

The PCSO and police roles are very different - you don't need more of our powers to make a success of yours.
tim419 you are right we don't need your powers to make us a success but some more would probably make our job easier, i appriciate that it could turn into an never ending quest for more power and perhaps the balance is about right now i personally don't think that is, but i am only a very small cog in this well oiled machine.
Regards
Anthony

adamson982

cso feelings of public

Post by adamson982 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:28 pm

what a waste of tax payers money csos are we want police on the streets who can inforce the law not a shadow force in fancy dress with no powers who have to call for one of us regulars to do the job properly.
Nothing personnal against the people who do this role just the reality of many serving police officers views.
if the goverment invested the money allocated to the csos into the regulars we could have alot more bodies on the streets dealing with asb and other relevent issues.

ELLIS74

THE BIG BLUFF

Post by ELLIS74 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:04 pm

I WORK FOR MY LOCAL COUNCIL AS A COMMUNITY PATROL OFFICER AND WORK WITH THE SAME RESTRAINTS CSOS HAVE AND DEAL WITH ALOT OF ASB MAINLY YTHS DRINKING,USUAL STUFF.
I HAVE PERSONALLY ASSISTED CSOS ON A NUMBER OF OCCAISONS AS THERE HAVE BEEN NO POLICE OFFICERS AVAIL,THE YTHS OF TODAY KNOW THE LACK OF POWERS WE HOLD AND ALSO THE POWERS THAT BE ALSO KNOW WHEN PUTTING US IN THESE SITUATIONS.
GIVE THE POWERS TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY OR NOT AT ALL AND MAYBE THE STIGMA SURROUNDING CSOS AND COMMUNITY WARDENS(PLASI POLICEMEN) WOULD VANISH AND THE REGULAR POLICE COULD CONTINUE TO DO THEIR JOB WITHOUT RESPONDING TO OUR CALLS AND THEN DEFUSING THE CONTEMPT THAT THE POLICE HAVE FOR WORKERS LIKE OURSELVES.

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:12 am

Cor what a load of old sour milk! Well neither of these guests tell us where they work, so forgive me for going on about London again. My area is very well served by a highly competent, professional team of fully trained police officers and fully trained PCSOs. The SNTs patrol both town centre, residential areas, schools, train stations etc.

All members of the teams work together as equals - there is no "stigma" I have come across, and certainly not "contempt". FAR FROM IT.

Our PCSOs back us up without hesitation and get the same response back. Take PCSOs away and my workload doubles overnight. It's NEVER a "waste of time" going to help or back up a PCSO, no matter what the situation is, or how "minor" it may be.

It's all very well saying "more PCs" - well how does that help the community when they too spend hours off the street in custody?

In areas where police officer presence has been allowed to diminsh to a wafer-thin level, can we please not have a go at the PCSOs left to pick up the pieces?

Like I've said before, there are whole rural communities out there where the PCSO team is the ONLY visible police presence regularly seen. That's neither the fault of the hard-working police officers or their dedicated PCSO colleagues.

Let's remember we're all on the same side, and recognise just how important both our roles are to the people we meet out on our streets each day!

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re:

Post by Marlon » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:52 pm

tim419 wrote: You're not ... the only patrolling unit out there.
tim419 wrote: In areas where police officer presence has been allowed to diminsh to a wafer-thin level ...

... there are whole rural communities out there where the PCSO team is the ONLY visible police presence regularly seen.

Some contradiction there Tim, which I think probably tells you more about the differences between London vs. some of the county forces, than anything else.

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: What to the Public think of PCSO's?

Post by tim419 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Is that all you could find to pick on?!

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:48 pm

tim419 wrote:Is that all you could find to pick on?!

Pick on? :?:

I'm sorry for attempting to broaden the scope of the comment beyond a London-centric viewpoint :roll:

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:21 am

My colleague was on telly tonight ( her turn this time, i took a back seat ) as they wanted her views on muslim officers:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7351570.stm ,2 minutes into video
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic