• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

TENTH ANNIVERSARY of PCSOs

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

TENTH ANNIVERSARY of PCSOs

Post by falkor » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:49 am

yep 2012 is the TEN YEAR MARK for PCSOs

:slead: check out PCSO ORIGINS right here :sljo:

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Re: TENTH ANNIVERSARY of PCSOs

Post by plum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:33 pm

Anyone still posting on here from the early intakes then

I am pleased to report that 80% of those that joined with me are still CSOs or have joined the job

I started in Feb 2004 , seems a long time and the job today seems a lifetime away from what we were told at the interview and in training

still enjoy the role and get a kick out of it , but I do wonder if I will still in the post in another 5 years
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 pm

falkor wrote:yep 2012 is the TEN YEAR MARK for PCSOs
But it is still over a year away until your anniversary.

sc24
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by sc24 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:00 pm

Still here for now lol
This job is about people, not headlines

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:40 am

On a more sober note. Although we have been around for a decade and are highly valued by our local communities, there is still a mountain to climb.
We are still often villified by the national Press, and the Police Federation and many senior police officers are still unwilling to acknowledge the part we have played in driving down crime figures over the past decade.
Another worry is that our role has still not been completely defined nationwide, with each Force choosing a different pallette of powers for it's PCSOs. Couple that with the fact that PCSOs are still barely tolerated by their Police Officer colleagues in some Forces and are not used to anywhere near their full potential through some sort of short-sighted petulance on the part of their senior management and the picture is still not great.

Additionally, the spectre of an end to "ringfencing" still hangs over our heads.

But enough of the doom and gloom!

Whatever happens over the next decade, we should all be proud of the fantastic work that we do within our communities and the difference we make.

Keep up the good work colleagues.

:slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2: :slcl2:

ringull16

Post by ringull16 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:52 pm

The original intake in the first year was a difficult one for PCSOs as the Conservatives didn't want us, the police thought that we would take jobs and the public had no idea of the concept. PCSOs were thrown out of the station and told not to come back until end of duty. 10 yrs on and we have a structure, we have jobs to go to, reassurance visits, vulnerables to take care of, ASB issues to rectify, neg line crimes to record, enquiries and subsequent crime investigations such as cctv and house to house , we deal with lost and found, searches for missing from homes, we are school liaison officers, we hold homewatch and other local meetings, we deal with councellors, we initiate action plans, we sort out neighbour disputes, we offer crime prevention.... the list goes on.
Although it has taken a few years we are known by our first names and greeted wherever we tread, we are integrated into the hearts and minds of most of those with whom we have had contact.
This job is great and a vocation for me and I'm so sorry that it may all end over the next few years as cuts bite and we are slowly depleated. I for one will miss the interaction with the public who have come to rely on us for minor crimes and help when they don't know who to call. How will Police Officers fill the void we leave?

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:16 pm

ringull16 wrote:...we have jobs to go to, reassurance visits, vulnerables to take care of, ASB issues to rectify, neg line crimes to record, enquiries and subsequent crime investigations such as cctv and house to house , we deal with lost and found, searches for missing from homes, we are school liaison officers, we hold homewatch and other local meetings, we deal with councellors, we initiate action plans, we sort out neighbour disputes, we offer crime prevention.... the list goes on.

How will Police Officers fill the void we leave?
Where I work, this is what our community PCs do.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:46 pm

dingdangdo wrote:
ringull16 wrote:...we have jobs to go to, reassurance visits, vulnerables to take care of, ASB issues to rectify, neg line crimes to record, enquiries and subsequent crime investigations such as cctv and house to house , we deal with lost and found, searches for missing from homes, we are school liaison officers, we hold homewatch and other local meetings, we deal with councellors, we initiate action plans, we sort out neighbour disputes, we offer crime prevention.... the list goes on.

How will Police Officers fill the void we leave?
Where I work, this is what our community PCs do.
Perhaps, but PCSOs do it just as well but much cheaper :slcup:

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:24 pm

As they say "buy cheap, buy twice" - PCSOs are not good value for money when you look at what a PC can do that they cannot.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:19 am

dingdangdo wrote:As they say "buy cheap, buy twice" - PCSOs are not good value for money when you look at what a PC can do that they cannot.
It's precisely because I am NOT a PC and have no powers of arrest that I'm far closer to my community than any of my PC colleagues.

I'm surprised that you've spent so much time on this site ans still don't comprehend the uniqueness of the job we do.

Please stop this false comparison. We're really not just a bunch of emasculated Police Officers you know :slww: Most of our job consists of steering, advising. mentoring and intelligence-gathering.

dingdangdo
Banned Member

Post by dingdangdo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:42 am

It's not a false comparison, you and many others often compare your role with that of a PC.

I just don't think it is good value for money.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm

dingdangdo wrote:It's not a false comparison, you and many others often compare your role with that of a PC.

I just don't think it is good value for money.
AFAIK, I'm always careful to keep the two roles distinct. Obviously there is crossover, but the role itself is very very different and EXTREMELY good value for money.

Dec
Rookie Member

Post by Dec » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:03 pm

10 years on and still many variants of PCSO uniform throughout the counties. They just may get it right one day and have a national dress code.

arthurgray50@blu
Official Member
Official Member

Post by arthurgray50@blu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:40 pm

I must be the oldest PCSO in the job, l started as a special and then became a PCSO in 2009, l have four years to go before l retire.

My role, and l am sure other PCSO's will say the same 'its the best job in the world' during the shift l find loads to do, l am part of a great neighbourhood team, the role of us is for the community, but some forces are starting to follow the pathetic government route, when they say they want MORE PCs on the beat.

How can they do that when they are sacking PCs, and there are plans to get rid of 5.000 more. We need more PCSO's on the beat and in different neighbourhoods, The Met are saying they are committed to PCSO's but within the next five years l can see the whole format of us changing drastically.

A councillor said to me recently ' l haven't seen you on the ward lately, l told him we were called up for aid ' he wasn't very happy'

PCSO's do a great job and should be applauded for it, but sadly, All the coalition think is that we are a ' waste of space and money' here's to the next anniversary, and from me to you all - keep up the hard work you all do and look after your neighbourhood.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Which PCs are they "sacking"?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic