should pcso be given additional powers

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

ruffcut

should pcso be given additional powers

Post by ruffcut » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:01 pm

i am a pcso and it frustrates me to see special constable given the same powers as an PC.
Most specials may only work 15hrs per month and have 3 weekend training to be given baton,body armour,cs and cuff.

whilst pcso are working with the general public nearly 24/7 and may only have a torch.

i do believe its only a matter of time before we do have better equipment,but training needed if we are going to be a force within a force.

kipper
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by kipper » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:56 pm

I can see your frustrated with your job. The point that you are missing though is that specials are doing an entirely different job, they are part time police officers. I am also a PCSO and I certainly don't think that way. Should a part time secretary only be allowed to use half a keyboard, while full timers have the pick of the entire qwerty board?
Yes its true that in time things may change but lets not get over carried away with the PCSO PPE issues, if they are required then it will be brought into play in due course. And lets not knock the specials they do a good job.

kipper
Tally Ho! Chaps, Bandits 12o/c High.
Affordable Web Hosting Solutions with Unlimited and Multi-Domain Hosting Options www.hostpost.co.uk - Special rates for PCSOs please use contact form on site for details.

kelly
Official Member
Official Member

Post by kelly » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:48 am

Kipper Wrote:

Yes its true that in time things may change but lets not get over carried away

I agree with you, was a SC myself for 2 years and have never had thoughts like the above being a PCSO now.

Silent Gun

Met group trade union election

Post by Silent Gun » Sat May 14, 2005 6:59 am

I noticed that our union, PCS in the metropolitan police service have finally alowed a space for PCSO'S Group exec Post. I say thank you as i feel now someone who understands our issues will now speak for us.
I also noticed in the Group executive committee election 2005, canidates statement a chap called DAMIAN is standing to be elected as a GEC member for PCSO'S. i admire his courage and write up as i happened to have seen him speak up for PCSO'S at forums, such boldness is what we need and i wish him well. Please can all concern make sure that they use their vote. We need representations by those who understand our needs ie Free travel on the underground, more pay, and changes in our condition of service:D

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: should pcso be given additional powers

Post by Gforceuk » Sat May 14, 2005 9:14 am

ruffcut wrote:i am a pcso and it frustrates me to see special constable given the same powers as an PC.
Most specials may only work 15hrs per month and have 3 weekend training to be given baton,body armour,cs and cuff.

whilst pcso are working with the general public nearly 24/7 and may only have a torch.

i do believe its only a matter of time before we do have better equipment,but training needed if we are going to be a force within a force.

If you want the same powers then join as a special as a reg.

You have the roles confused... we are NOT police officers. If you want those powers then your in the wrong job.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Class: 'Crimson Warrior'
Alignment: 'Vampire'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by alihowe » Sat May 14, 2005 9:06 pm

I think things will change for PCSOs in the near future, but I can't see us ever having the same powers as a PC as this kind of defeats the role of the PCSO.

I certainly think we'll have a couple of extra powers somewhere along the way and some form of PPE, still think it will only be CS :idea:

With regards to having full powers and PPE, then we may as well be PC's. as what would the difference be??????????????
[ external image ]

GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

steve@kd

Post by steve@kd » Sat May 28, 2005 10:31 pm

Hello All. With reference to PCSO's having more powers, I think we must tread carefully on this. The reason we are here is simply, we do the jobs that the Police can't (and sometimes, won't) do for themselves. On the Traffic Section, as I previously was posted at, we issued FPN's for parking. When was the last time you saw a Copper issue one of them as a matter or his/her daily duty? We also carried out normal community business. It does annoy me though, that Special PC's have the power to carry out full arrests etc. when we are on the streets every day and are constantly called 'Plastic Policemen' "You can't do nothing!" I have about 35 detentions to my name, sometimes violent encounters, but I've never had any training in dealing with this type of problem! But did you know, that as part of your Annual Appraisal, you're expected to deal with confrontational matters and are quoted on how well you do! No handcuffs though! OST is good, but when you've done all this what you've learnt and you've got the guy on the floor, what next? If he kicks off again, you're in trouble cos' he's gonna be mighty mad! Lets work together with the Federation, lets get established, but lets be sure, don't step on the PC's toes, you're not a Police Officer and if you want that, fill in the form to become one; however, lets have a new review of our powers, so that we can fully arrest someone who's done wrong out there on the streets and not this 'half-way' bit, and Lets Have Some Handcuffs, we are in as much danger, if not more, than a normal PC. I look forward to your replies. Steve.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Sat May 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Well said mate,

I agree 100%

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Sat May 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Steve KD, most of us on here are singing from the same hymn sheet and we're hoping our role will be assessed thoroughly in the forthcoming months. Glad you've come onto the Forums, why don't you join up as a Member and stay and talk to us some more :?: :D
[ external image ]

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this than most people do in their entire lives."

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Sat May 28, 2005 11:36 pm

Come on! Join the site.

Its all good fun :D

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun May 29, 2005 9:54 am

steve@kd wrote:lets get established, but lets be sure, don't step on the PC's toes, you're not a Police Officer and if you want that, fill in the form to become one; Steve.

hey if you want to be a police officer, if that's what you want, just fill in the form!

yeah! it's that easy ! :roll:

I see this comment thrown in again and again on threads on this site. Police Forces up and down the land are not taking ppl for PCs on the simple filling in of a form, the process is highly competitive and is easily taking YEARS depending on whether you are an ethnic minority or not, so I don't buy that line steve

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sun May 29, 2005 11:38 am

I agree, i've just applied for one of 50 vacancies. Over 750 people applied.

:(
Big brother is watching you.

alihowe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by alihowe » Sun May 29, 2005 2:16 pm

I'm feeling a bit frustrated with the PCSO role at the moment. I am consdering applying for Suffolk Police or the Met, as Essex are not recruiting and won't be in the foreseeable future :cry: The only thing that keeps putting me off is the 18wk residential training course. This wouldn't work out with my family, I'd miss them too much :cry: However the Met do a non-residential training course too and a lovely jubbley member on here has been giving me some really useful imformation on the recruitment process and that the Met are currently recruiting Females and people from Ethnic Minorities I believe ??? Anyone else considering this at the moment :?:
[ external image ]

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Sun May 29, 2005 2:41 pm

If your wanting to the job that you've obviously been craving to do for a while ali then you cant go wrong going on an into blue course. http://www.intoblue.co.uk

micky
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by micky » Sun May 29, 2005 6:54 pm

Ali and everybody else please do not waste your money on a course. The PCs on your teams will be more than happy to provide you withn guidance into how to deal with the application, interview etc.
never regret the future.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic