• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Welcome to National PCSOs

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Welcome to National PCSOs

Post by falkor » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:34 pm

Well? What do you think? Pretty slick message board? Yep! All it needs now is a few MEMBERS! Which is where you come in! :wink:

If you are interested in PCSOs then why not join up? Do you have any queries on PCSOs or this website? Just post a question then! You do not need to be registered at this stage because anybody can add a post or even start a new topic within this section of the website which is known as "Public Forums" as anybody can view or 'talk' in here

[ external image ] alternatively .... drop me an e-mail why don't you? :mrgreen:

Re: Welcome to National PCSOs

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:13 am

hi ive got an interview after passing my competence test,its on the 8th dec,can anyone tell me what to expect and what to prepare myself for????????? thanks

HappyDebs

Post by HappyDebs » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:40 am

I can tell you after friday, i got mine then :? I dont know how your interviews are run but our are on 6 core competencys of which we have a list. Ive been advised to just be myself and have losts of example for each of the core points. Ive been preparing for the last couple of weeks and now its so near my nerves are starting to set in, hope they go by friday morning i really dont want to go in there nervous and fluff it, this means a lot to me.
Ill let ya know what to expect when i find out ok :)

menness

Advice on becoming a PCSO please

Post by menness » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Hi
I've just been accepted into Wilts Constabulary as a PCSO. I've got a bit of a dilemma so hopefully someone here can help/advise...

Today I also had an interview for trainee force control room/emergency contact (999) centre. Having recently been in a call centre role and with 18yrs of admin experience, this is the job that everyone expects me to do (if I get offered it of course!).

But I applied for the PCSO job (they were advertised together) thinking that I liked the sound of it, but not really expecting to get too far through the application stage, let alone being offered the job.

My family all seem to be against it. The only one who has come round a bit recently is my Mum, and that's because she had a visit from her local officer (not a PCSO) based at the station where I'll be posted, and he explained that they back PCSO's all the way and that they work in pairs and wouldn't be put in vulnerable positions on our own. (Seems my family have forgotten that I'm a grown woman of some 38yrs and have been through childbirth and am pretty good at standing up for myself!!).

I'm still really keen on the PCSO role, and this site has certainly helped me (I will register properly once I've had all the clearances confirmed, promise). But a couple of people have put doubts in my head comments like "Anyone can be a PCSO, they're just glorified traffic wardens" to 'that's a sh*t job'. I know they don't know any better - of 60 applic forms sent out, 32 got through to the assessment and only 8 of those got through to interview so seems that not just 'anyone' can be a PCSO, in Wilts anyway.

What does everyone think - do you get backing from the regular officers in your role, do you have to deal with alot of abuse? 18yrs ago I worked in admin for the met police (minor process) and my dream then was to join the police, but at the time height restrictions and my crap eyesight meant that I couldn't even be considered as a Special. So now this is like a dream come true to finally get in. I just wish everyone else could be as happy for me!

Thanks
menness

CA5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by CA5 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:58 pm

As a PCSO you will get a mainly positive response from your colleagues.
Internet forums police wise (except us) are not typical of the grass roots opinions from rank and file officers on the streets.

Lets be realistic in a call centre the pros are you are going to be warm and dry,know when you start and finish and will never be in physical danger. Obviously you are a Mother with at least one person who relies on you.

The cons you will be stuck in one room answering mainly stupid and unecessary 999 calls under alot of pressure to answer the phones quickly and give perfect advice which will be all on tape.You won't get out and about or see different people and will be sick to death of those that share a room.

PCSO Pros.
Getting out and about meeting all different types of people.No two days will ever be the same. It will put you in good stead should in time brcomming a regular is the choice you want to make.
There are going to be sweeping new powers for PCSOs which will make the job more interesting and fun in the near future.

Cons,
Safety no one can guarantee your personal safety 100% doing the PCSO job assaults are a possibilty no two ways,to some anyone in uniform is an enemy.
You will be walking around in all weathers usually either too cold or too hot.

Toss a coin is my advice but I know what I would do :wink:

Good luck and all the best whatever you decide!

Fat Bloke
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Advice on becoming a PCSO please

Post by Fat Bloke » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:19 pm

menness wrote: So now this is like a dream come true to finally get in

You have to do what is right for you. Deep down you know which job you really want to do.

A very old man once told me,
“Lad you will have loads of regrets when you reach my age, loads of things you do, you will regret doing, but don’t ever get to be as old as me with regrets of what you haven’t done, that will be a waste of your life.”

If the local officer at the station you will be based has spent the time to come out and speak to your mother, and explain that they back their PCSO’s, that must show what the support from the regular officers is going to be like.

Toss a coin is one way to decide, but what do YOU really want.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:18 pm

Thanks for the replies - they did help my decision, along with going back to a sugar call-centre job after Xmas which made me really think twice about the control centre position!

Anyway, I think I knew all along which one I really wanted, it was just a few members of my family that are apprehensive about it.

But ultimately the decision (or rather the need to justify my decision to my family) was made for me cos I didn't get offered the control centre position in the end!

So, I start my PCSO training on 28th Feb!
Thanks again, look forward to getting to know everyone

CA5
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by CA5 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:46 pm

Good for you !

Enjoy the training and the job in the future it may not always seem easy but reading between the lines I suspect you have got your wish.

Fell free to register properly and chip in whenever.

Welcome to the job and belatedly the site.

Simon.

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:18 am

Anonymous wrote:So, I start my PCSO training on 28th Feb!

OH DEAR , WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??? :?

DO YOU REALISE WHAT YOU HAVE LET YOURSELF IN FOR? tut tut

YOU POOR WOMEN , YOU HAVE MY SYMPATHIES! :cry:

Nah , i'm only kidding you!

CA5 summed up the pro's and cons perfectly, if you like being out in the open then you've made the right choice.

I may have missed this already, but what force/service are you applying for?
Kentishman.

Jenni
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:03 pm

I have to admit though the people on here are pretty persuasive in the cause of PCSO recruitment. They're all so lovely. Why dont you sign on and talk to us more often. There must be room for one more surely!!!

Well done on your choice!
Are green crisps REALLY safe to eat?

ham
Rookie Member

Post by ham » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:24 pm

Thanks. I am quite (very..?) apprehensive about this but also very excited. I went for my uniform fitting today and bumped into 2 regular officers who said they got to 'use' their body armour when they got involved in a fight in town last night. I know I won't be involved in that level of policing but the thought didn't scare me witless either! I also had to deal with a phone call at work (mobile phone call centre, any job will be an improvement!) from a woman who's son (apparently) had tried to kill her with tranquilisers. She started shouting at me to start with (darn call queues again!) but then calmed down as I sorted out transferring balances from the phones that her son had stolen from her. She was quite emotional and by the end was apologising for shouting and almost brought tears to my eyes. We're told we don't have to deal with calls like that, but the caring side of me was thinking sod the 30+ people in the call queue, I want to make sure this lady is ok and has got someone with her before I finish the call. I guess that part of me is why I think I've made the right decision to become a PCSO.

I'm in Wiltshire, BTW.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:11 pm

hi i have been thinking about a changing my job now for sometime and got talking to a mate that is in the staffordshire police force and said to me about becoming a pcso which i never really herd off before and have been reading all your comments about the job and im very impressed on the info on here.
At the mo i work in a factory doing 3 shifts and looking after a 2 year old and think i need to do something now and be able to get job satisfaction.
im a very good at communicating with people and have trained alot of people up on jobs where i work. i would love the chance to do a job like this to put something back into the community and use my brain again lol.
i live nr walsall so not sure if they are recruting where i am.

lisa

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:08 pm

I did shift work for twenty years in a factory, prior to becoming a Police Traffic Warden, and then P.C.S.O.

What a different life I lead. Wonderful! The feeling of freedom from an enclosed environment, is fantastic.

Check out if they are recruiting, and if so , GO FOR IT.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

Re: Welcome to National PCSOs

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:33 pm

falkor wrote:Well? What do you think? Pretty slick message board? Yep! All it needs now is a few MEMBERS! Which is where you come in! :wink:

If you are interested in PCSOs then why not join up? Do you have any queries on PCSOs or this website? Just post a question then! You do not need to be registered at this stage because anybody can add a post or even start a new topic within this section of the website which is known as "Public Forums" as anybody can view or 'talk' in here

[ external image ] alternatively .... drop me an e-mail why don't you? :mrgreen:

Can anyone help I have been asked to attend an assessment and interview for South Yorks PCPO,I am wonderiing if the two written tests are maths and english based are maybe observation skills. Anyone who could shine a light it would help,cheers.

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:38 pm

For the MET it was basically just the ability to observe and write a report in pressured circumstances based on minimal events...watching a short video and then writing up what you saw. Not testing your memory, but your ability to write adequate reports etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic