• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

New duties

This is the only section of forums that is accessable to the public. All the other forums are "locked." Access to further forums becomes immediately available upon registering.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

cautiousKaren

New duties

Post by cautiousKaren » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:57 am

We have just been informed that as part of our role in the future we have to rummage through bin bags to help id the fly-tipping offender. Im all for getting rid of the litter off the streets but am a little concerned about the safety of this new task seeing as it will now be made a performer indicator. What about injuries to hands if we come across syringes/knives/glass etc. Gloves are provided to protect us but they are not that thick. Do any other PCSO's carry out this task already? Got any advice for us? :roll:

kipper
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by kipper » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:11 pm

First I have ever heard of that. You should get some sort of awareness training and needle proof gloves if so.
Tally Ho! Chaps, Bandits 12o/c High.
Affordable Web Hosting Solutions with Unlimited and Multi-Domain Hosting Options www.hostpost.co.uk - Special rates for PCSOs please use contact form on site for details.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:57 pm

I wouldnt do it mate! :wink:

PCSO1
Official Member
Official Member

Post by PCSO1 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:25 pm

neither would I

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:40 am

No way!
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

CautiousKaren

Post by CautiousKaren » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:05 am

Believe me I am not happy about doing this either but have been told that we have no choice, we must get on with it. Feeling even more like the general dogsbody of the police force than usual! Normally we do the work of the postpeople, delivering leaflets to street after street because the bobbies cant be bothered doing it. Now it seems we will take on the role of the binmen. Not feeling very loved and appreciated here guys. Looking for alternative employment. Shame really, been doing this job for a few years and used to enjoy it.

triage999
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by triage999 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:11 am

I do this at the moment in the job that I am already in.

I agree that it is not nice digging through someone's rubbish, but, there is no greater satisfaction than finding out where the rubbish that keeps getting tipped over a scenic area that is making the are look like a ghetto is coming from!

And even greater satisfaction is had when this person is warned/fined for doing so!

I do agree however that Police/PCSO's should not be doing this!

It really should be down to the local councils refuse department, estate caretakers or in our case street wardens.

sueb
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by sueb » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:09 am

There is no way i would be doing this and would be checking the health and saftey side to it.

put a case forward stating that if you got pricked by a needle and contracted AIDS/HIV who would pay for it cos you would want compo'

If all else fails get in touch with the health and saftey section of your force and get there views on it.

After all in northumbira if its aginst health and safty for us to rides bike this cant be safe...
(that would be what i would be saying.)

Hop you get it sorted good luck.

kipper
Hexblade Ranger
Hexblade Ranger

Post by kipper » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:23 pm

Is there a union response to this at all?
Tally Ho! Chaps, Bandits 12o/c High.
Affordable Web Hosting Solutions with Unlimited and Multi-Domain Hosting Options www.hostpost.co.uk - Special rates for PCSOs please use contact form on site for details.

CIDB
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by CIDB » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:27 pm

triage999 wrote:I do this at the moment in the job that I am already in.

I agree that it is not nice digging through someone's rubbish, but, there is no greater satisfaction than finding out where the rubbish that keeps getting tipped over a scenic area that is making the are look like a ghetto is coming from!

And even greater satisfaction is had when this person is warned/fined for doing so!

I do agree however that Police/PCSO's should not be doing this!

It really should be down to the local councils refuse department, estate caretakers or in our case street wardens.

So dont do it mate!!

Sorted :wink:

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:00 am

I know how you feel, I once has to do this and my colleague and I found an address and also a very large "Strap On!" It was so funny! we fell about laughing!
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

CautiousKaren

Post by CautiousKaren » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:35 am

Thanks ever so much for all your replies regarding the bin bags business. I am trying to just get on with it and see the funny side ie used to be called plastic police now will be called plastic bag police!!!! :lol: But still feel pretty degraded and concerned by it.

We have mentioned the Heath & Safety side and have been told that the risk is minimal, which doesn't help as there is still a risk. My colleague accidentally touched a needle a couple of years ago and had the next nine months worry of whether she had HIV or AIDS and miscarried her baby due to the stress of it. We mentioned all this and they weren't interested. The council were there at this meeting too saying their workers aren't at any risk so why would we be..........

Oh and the union are apparently doing their best but we haven't heard anything from them.

Im all for joint agency work but doing other agency's work for them is a bit much.

gd

Flytiping

Post by gd » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:18 pm

Bloody hell, it's not that hard to carefully open a bag and poke around with a stick to see who's dropped it! Jesus!!!!

...See something dangerous, stop looking. End of.

Come one, Flytipping and litter is a horrible crime and one that I quite frankly think a PCSO should be assigned with helping sort out.. (along with other bodies etc)... If you guys can't be bothered then that saddens me a great deal and makes me wonder what you guys are actually for!

This is a another justifiable role for PCSOS rather than the "eyes are ears of the neighbourhood" We can use CCTV for that!

Yours
Casual Observer

danielswindells
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by danielswindells » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:55 pm

With regards to above.....

Trolls Hated Forever,Comprende?

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Flytiping

Post by mj12cz » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:13 pm

gd wrote:Bloody hell, it's not that hard to carefully open a bag and poke around with a stick to see who's dropped it! Jesus!!!!

...See something dangerous, stop looking. End of.

Come one, Flytipping and litter is a horrible crime and one that I quite frankly think a PCSO should be assigned with helping sort out.. (along with other bodies etc)... If you guys can't be bothered then that saddens me a great deal and makes me wonder what you guys are actually for!

This is a another justifiable role for PCSOS rather than the "eyes are ears of the neighbourhood" We can use CCTV for that!

Yours
Casual Observer

What a prat, we are allowed opinions and CautiousKaren has a very good one. I do not enjoy going through my bins let alone other proples!

Oh yes, since when has CCTV been able to talk to the Public and gather intel... What a stupid comment! you do not have a clue!
Last edited by mj12cz on Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic