• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

After passing PCSO Day 1.... help!

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
mcb88
Registered Member
Registered Member

After passing PCSO Day 1.... help!

Post by mcb88 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi guys,

I have a question I cant seem to find an answer for and wondered if anyone could help..

I will be attending a MET PCSO day 1 in the next few weeks, and if im lucky enough to pass what will happen next?

Will they wait to see how many people have passed and only offer day 2's to people who scored top or does everyone who passes day one go onto day 2 regardless if there is enough PCSO positions or not.

My fear is you go through the whole process and at the last stage they cant offer you a place as they have all gone?
or do they only take the right amount of people onto day 2 for the amount of jobs avaliable.

Thanks everyone for reading.

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: After passing PCSO Day 1.... help!

Post by Andrew B » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:51 pm

You will most likely get told your day 2 date IF succesfull.

I'd imagine you would be fine in terms of getting a place. It can happen though so I understand your concerns but I wouldn't worry too much. The met don't take top scorers into account ect, a pass is a pass.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

mcb88
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mcb88 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Cheers, Thanks for your reply. I see your a MET PCSO at present, Any tips for the day 1? How long should I expect to wait to hear if I have got a day 2? Also how soon is day 2 after day 1?

Many Thanks

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 am

The roleplays for me were the most challenging part of the day. Everything is based on a customer services aspect in the form of a shopping centre so the problems you will be dealing with revolve around that. It is important to learn the pack they send you especially on things like the centres policies and other information as you may need to refer to them in the roleplay and in doing so will get you higher marks. Before going into the roleplay you will be in a corridor where you will recieve a card stating who you are going to meet and a rough outline of what their issue is, but it dosen't give much away for example " Mr Smith would like to speak to you regarding an incident that occured in the carpark" and then they will provide anything else relevant to the roleplay so its important to study them as much as you can. You will also be allowed to take notes on a peice of paper provided and you will be allowed to take it in with you. I can't remember what I did for my PCSO day 1 but for my PC Day 1which works on the same principle I used the 5 or so minutes to structure what I was going to do in the roleplay for example..

1. Introduction on who you are and to say you are there to take full responsibility for dealing with their issue.
2. Ask relevant questions to get as much information on what the problem was, the roleplay actors won't give anything away if you don't ask you won't get any additional information.
3. Make decisions regarding what issues the actor has disclosed to try and resolve their issue. They want to see you are able to make a decision and not just sit on the fence, so for example if you've worked out they are complaining about people getting tickets in the carpark because of lack of signs/staff training ect you could make a decision that you are going to install additional signs in the carpark to ensure customers are fully forewarned of the parking conditions and to retrain staff ect ect.. as long as you identify the problem with proper questioning and try to get a decision you should be on the right track.

All competencies are being assessed, teamworking, resilience, personal responsibility, customer focus, and respect for race and diversity so try and include those as much as you can. You will more than likely have someone who may say a comment that will need challenging to show you have respect for race and diversity for example "I hate that sort" then when you challenge that with a probing question and they reply with something like "you know, the asians" or something similar its imperitive to challenge that, and if you can refer back to the equality policy that the centre operates under ect ect.

The interviews are fairly straight forward if you prepare good enough answers, and the written test is a bit similar to the roleplay but in a written style where you may be asked to investigate a problem and then come up with solutions so again same principle applies where you look to identify any issues and then what you propose to do to rectify it. Just remember things like spelling, grammar, punctuation are being marked here so little things like i instead of I can see you drop marks.

In terms of timeframe, it roughly can take anything between 2-4 weeks to get your results, for yourself in trying to speed PCSOs through the process I imagine it would be roughly a month or so after your day 1, probably 6 weeks+
Good luck.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

mcb88
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mcb88 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Thank you very much for that, Gave me a fantastic insight.
I will make good use of thoes tips.
Okay so things could move fairly quickly then, Any idea when the next PCSO intake is? / If I pass day 1 &2 and vetting when would I be looking to start.
I have selected north London locations as this is better for me, but am willing to work where ever needed. Can I ask them to consider me for any location?

Just on the written test's do I start by addressing them to someone for instance "Dear Sir/Madam." or do I start by explaning who I am?

Thanks.

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Depends who the report is for. Most of the time it will be your senior manager. I think when I started off the written report I addressed it as "Dear Sir, I am writing this report in relation to xxx"
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

mcb88
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mcb88 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Okay thanks. Some great tips for me to use cheers.
Are the written tests the same situations as the role plays? or will it be a different problem/complaint?
and am i right in thinking in the written test you have to come up with a fix to the problem and explain why you would fix it like this?

Thanks

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 pm

Yeah sort of. For example, say you've been asked to write a report on problems regarding a free shuttle bus service the centre runs.. you might be presented with a newspaper article and some other bits and bobs like memos from other staff members ect. You would read the article which for arguments sake is blaming an increase in anti social behaviour and lack of security which is affecting the shuttle bus service ect.

In the report outline what the problems are, and then make a recommendation. So for example for the issues above you could propose that more CCTV cameras and increased patrols would help to combat the issue, and that possibly asking for a small fee for the service could fund a dedicated security guard. Also remember to use teamworking so you could mention that you also propose to liase with your colleagues based at the westshire police station yadda yadda.

Its not so much the amazing proposals you make but how you go about your writing. I actually didn't get to finish one written report during my PCs but still scored highly because my spelling/grammar/handwriting was up to a good standard, which for me is a challenge! I don't know how good you are at those but the best advice I can give is only spell words you are 100% sure of spelling correctly and make sure your punctuation is spot on.

I know a lot of people who have been caught out with this as its often the one least prepared for thinking it would be easy.
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

mcb88
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by mcb88 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:51 am

Thats a great help, really helped me understand what is expected of me in the written tests. It's not my strong point either grammar or handwriting so I'll need to do some practacing before day 1. Do they want the reports to be very long or is the length of the report not important as long as you cover what is asked?

Thanks

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 am

Quality not quantity!
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi all I'm attending assessment day 2, just wondered what to wear, i know I have to take my gym kit for the medical and fitness test but should I wear smart/formal? Thanks for your help.

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Most just turn up in the gym kit, or casual clothing such as tracksuit bottoms and a t shirt
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

Penfold

Post by Penfold » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:27 pm

I guess we're in the same intake, buddy! Good luck!

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Out of interest, I've heard new PCSOs are joining at the end of this month. I've checked the warrant numbers of a few and this appears to be the case.

I wasn't aware the process had been done this quickly!
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic