• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

eyesight requirements.

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
gerald88

eyesight requirements.

Post by gerald88 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 am

Hey.
I realise its impossible to judge wether someone's eye sight is good enough just through the prescription given, but if I was to go into my opticians and give them the requirements for joining, would they be able to tell me if I'd pass/fail without having to do another test?

Ta.

Belnkinsop

Re: eyesight requirements.

Post by Belnkinsop » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:09 am

The mandatory eyesight Requirements for PCs can be found here and if you print them out and take them to your optician, yes they would be able to tell you if you'd pass/fail it.

pielover

Post by pielover » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi all,

Ive just submitted my application, Im confident that I will be successful in all areas except one. Ive quite poor eyesight and will not pass the uncorrected test of 6/36. Ive been told that Occupational Health could provide a waiver.

Any thoughts?

Ive completed 22 years in the Army, having passed my All Arms Commando Course and completed numerous operations all over the world. My eyesight has never been a problem (Banta expected a "specky, four eyes, frame face"...etc etc).

Like many ex forces Ive a lot of real life experiences and can add real value to the team, I know I am the right person for the job but this hurdle might be one I cannot get over....

RunningH

Post by RunningH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:00 am

Hi there,
Can anybody tell me whether the eyesight standards required for PCs also apply to PCSOs?

I looked through all the paperwork and my optician has looked on his database but couldn't find anything which referred specifically to PCSOs. I asked when I attended the recruitment information session and they weren't able to tell me but said they'd find out and give me a call to let me know. I didn't receive any call back so carried on with my application. Now however, I'm worried I've come this far but it'll all be for nothing because of my poor eyesight!

Thanks.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am

Here is what one force says:
Hampshire Constabulary wrote:You must have good eyesight, ie at least 6/36 uncorrected vision. The constabulary accepts applicants who have had corrective eye surgery. You will be sent a form which must be completed by a qualified optician to confirm that you meet the eyesight standard and bring this to the assessment day. The results must be from an eye test taken within the last 12 months.
and here is what the NPIA refer to:

http://www.npia.police.uk/en/12739.htm

RunningH

Post by RunningH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 am

Sorry if I seem to be asking a stupid question. I know that's the requirement for PCs and Specials, but are you saying it definitely applies to PCSOs as well?

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 am

No such thing as a stupid question!

I agree it's not clear from my post, but the Hampshire quote is taken from their PCSO page:

http://www.hampshire.police.uk/internet ... rt-officer

and the NPIA info is taken from here:

http://www.npia.police.uk/en/10986.htm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic