• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

PCSO fitness question?

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: fitness question?

Post by typecastboy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:44 pm

Mason86 wrote:
i think powers of arrest will ruin this job as thats what makes pcso approachable etc
I am in favour of us having powers of arrest, cuffs and so on, but you know what, you do have a point there.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

aws
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by aws » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Mason86 wrote:u know they need to make a programme on PCSO and what they do and put it on itv so people can see

In Lancs we have just had the "Dispaches" film crew following PCSO's in Blackpool and Blackburn for about 2 weeks - will wait to see the way they portray us as previous "Dispaches" progs have been seen to pick at certain bad points and then blow it all out of proportion

i got out of the filming as i was on leave for that period :slwo:

Andy
LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL - IT'S THE ONLY ONE YOU WILL GET

overthinker1977
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by overthinker1977 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:41 pm

typecastboy wrote:
Mason86 wrote:
i think powers of arrest will ruin this job as thats what makes pcso approachable etc
I am in favour of us having powers of arrest, cuffs and so on, but you know what, you do have a point there.
Naw, I've experimented a bit with this. Nowt to do with that.
Its the fact on many things we're going to be more tolerant of because we're not in a position to do owt about it. With the real shizzle people though we shouldn't be.
What makes us approachable is the constant footpatrol and contact with the community.
If PC's did that it'd be exactly the same, possibly better. Only thing is its a real bind to get a PC into that position and get them to stay there. i.e not diverted
Supporter of Police
scum = criminals

Jay
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by Jay » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Refering back to the fitness question, we dont have a fitness test either in West Yorkshire. I would really like to do one too as I like to keep fit. I think it's not right that certain forces have fitness tests and others dont, it sends the message that forces with no fitness test dont really care how fit you are, as long as you get out there and do the job. I dont think that should be the case seen as you spend many, many hours per week on foot patrol.

In my opinion there should be a standard fitness test nationwide, then it's fair for everyone. It doesn't need to be extreme but it should make sure every PCSO has decent level of fitness to do the job. More importantly, to make sure their fitness levels are in no way detrimental to the many tasks they need to carry out.
Oct 25 2008 - Applied for PCSO with West Yorkshire Police
Nov 25 2008 - Application phase = PASSED
Dec 16 2008 - Assessment phase = PASSED
Jan 28 2009 - Medical = PASSED
Mar 25 2009 - Vetting & References = PASSED
Sep 28 2009 - Start date!

Diggerz

Post by Diggerz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 am

Hi guys I have just past my assesment and I am awaiting my medical as Im told by cambs recruitment that as of yet their is no fitness test. although this is subject to change in the very near future for all forces in the uk.
:slhi:

Sj66
Rookie Member

fitness test for Dyfed Powys

Post by Sj66 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi
I'm an ex-PCSO (6yrs out of the job) and due to an imminent relocation to Wales am considering applying for PCSO at Dyfed Powys. My worry is that the fitness test I did for Wilts 7yrs ago was different, and now they do the same test as PCs, which sounds really tough. Although I'm reasonably fit (I used to teach aerobics), I just DON'T do jogging, and I'm worried about failing the bleep test.
Does anyone know if the fitness test is generic across all forces now, and if so what does it consist of?
I do have the advantage of being police admin staff now, so I guess I could go to my current force PTI for some training advice.
Thanks
SJ

Coles489

Re: PCSO fitness question?

Post by Coles489 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm

SJ,
Not sure about other forces but Dyfed-Powys fitness tests are level 5.4 on the bleep test, and push/pull 35kgs. Should be achieveable with a reasonable level of general fitness. Hope this helps.

Sj66
Rookie Member

Post by Sj66 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks. Just found out I've got thru paper-sift - great! :-D However, fitness test is on Tuesday - 3 days notice - not so great!! So how easy is 5.4 on the beep test & 35/34kg push/pull without any training?! (I'm reasonably fit, used to teach aerobics but haven't done anything except tap dancing for a couple of years!). It doesn't help that I've only got Monday at work so not really any chance to see a PTI before travelling to Wales Mon evening!

Sj66
Rookie Member

Post by Sj66 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Well I failed miserably & I'm really annoyed as I had 3 days notice so no time to train, & because of their 'tight recruitment schedule' I can't even go back for a re-test (not what the PTI said at the beginning!) despite passing the written tests with flying colours which others didnt finish!! I wouldn't mind but I've been a PCSO and I know I'm fit enough, but unfortunately my mild asthma let me down on this occasion because of the lack of notice/training :-(

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:49 pm

No offence but 5.4 is a stroll.

Sj66
Rookie Member

Post by Sj66 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 pm

I've no doubt it is... as long as you've had chance to train even for a week before, and aren't asthmatic. Thanks for the support!! I cant even blame my age as a girl half my age gave up at 3.3, way before my lungs gave up. Im obviously not cut out for it anymore so I'll bid you all goodbye & go back to my civvy post sorting out duties for now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic