Thames Valley Recruitment, September intake

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
Hobbit
Rookie Member

Thames Valley Recruitment, September intake

Post by Hobbit » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Hello!

Just wondering if anyone else is currently going through the TVP recruitment process?

I've had my interview and was told on the same day that I'd passed, my fitness is on the 22nd. All vetting, medical forms and psychometrics sent back.

I'm looking at a September start.

:)

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Thames Valley Recruitment, September intake

Post by falkor » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:58 pm

told on the same day that you'd passed? :slcup: wow that is pretty cool!! I applied to TVP a long time ago and didn't get through, so you did better than me :slby: well done
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Hobbit
Rookie Member

Post by Hobbit » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Thanks :D the interview went really well, I think my experience probably stood me in good stead as I currently work with offenders and deal with anti social teens!

Was hoping to see if anyone else would be joining me in Sulhampstead for training (if I pass the next stages of course)

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:51 pm

oooooo welcome to the site Hobbit :sltee: So you must be a Hobbit fan by the look of your username, :slcool: starting way back in 1978 an animated movie came out “The Lord of the Rings” and it wasn’t until 2001 that the Peter Jackson movies actually hit the big screen, the first three were “The Fellowship of the Ring (2001),” then “The Two Towers (2002)” and “The Return of the King (2003).” Ten years on we saw “An Unexpected Journey (2012),” then “The Desolation of Smaug (2013),” and finally “The Battle of the Five Armies (2014).” So which is your best of that lot and why?

Hobbit
Rookie Member

Post by Hobbit » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks Falko!

Haha An Unexpected Journey was definitely my favourite. I loved the book as a kid too - got me into the fantasy genre

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:19 pm

I must confess, although I did start reading the book, I only got about half way through it :slzz2: yeah the films are amazing, jolly good movies that go on for a decent 2 or 3 hours!! :slcool:

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Hobbit,

Firstly, congratulations on the new job and I wish you every success in it. Secondly, welcome to these forums and hopefully we'll see you on here a lot; there's plenty of people on here to provide advice, information and support. Thirdly, you'll need those big Hobbit feet for all the walking you'll be doing :slsm:

Being told you've passed on the same day as your interview is great, removes that anxious period of waiting and is really quick considering the start date is in September. Is there a chance you'll be seeing the same youths you've encountered in your current role? Could be interesting, as they say.

Anyway, please keep us up to date with your progress & thoughts etc on the training and the job.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:42 pm

falkor,

The animated movie was pre-dated in 1969 by a book parodying Lord of the Rings titled Bored of the rings and includes an alternative version of the "nine rings" poem/mantra etc :

The Power almighty rests in this Lone Ring.
The Power, alrighty, for doing your Own Thing.
If broken or busted, it cannot be remade
If found, send to Sorhed (the postage is prepaid).

I read it many years ago so only have vague memories of it other than it was heavy going, somewhat laboured humour and even harder to read (I was 15 or so at the time) than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I'd read LoR not long before and, whilst the films are quite enjoyable, they don't live up to the books in my view, which is often the case for me concerning film adaptations.

Hobbit
Rookie Member

Post by Hobbit » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:19 pm

powdermonkey wrote:Hobbit,

Firstly, congratulations on the new job and I wish you every success in it. Secondly, welcome to these forums and hopefully we'll see you on here a lot; there's plenty of people on here to provide advice, information and support. Thirdly, you'll need those big Hobbit feet for all the walking you'll be doing :slsm:

Being told you've passed on the same day as your interview is great, removes that anxious period of waiting and is really quick considering the start date is in September. Is there a chance you'll be seeing the same youths you've encountered in your current role? Could be interesting, as they say.

Anyway, please keep us up to date with your progress & thoughts etc on the training and the job.
Hi powdermonkey yes it was a great feeling to be told at the end of the interview, I've never done anything that's gone quite that well. It was pretty surreal hahah!

Hopefully the hobbit feet will serve me well. xD I'm really looking forward to be spending a lot of time out and about, I'm getting pretty sick of my (mostly) desk based job.

Let's hope I pass the fitness and medical!! I'm pretty small though so I'm not sure how the strength test is going to go.

I could see some of the young people I currently work with, hat would be quite good. Honestly though they're probably more likely to come into contact with PCs than PCSOs as they're highly supervised by carers who can manage their general behaviour, on the rare occasion they really kick off/ go missing we have to get the police in. They're not generally involved in ASB outdoors, so to speak.

I'd like to be involved in home visits perhaps eventually, a familiar face might be a good thing for them.

I've just been sent more vetting to complete so hopefully I'll send that off tonight. I'll let you know how the fitness goes!

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Unless TVP are different to where I work, there is no strength test or even a fitness test. I had my sight checked for colour blindness, hearing tested, lung capacity (in case I decide whilst wearing boots, a 10 kilo stab vest and other kit to run uphill after a 16 year old in trackies and trainers!) and a urine test for drugs.

We do a self defence but that isn't what I call strenuous - it's all about keeping a safe distance, how to break someone's grip, pressure points and detention holds. I do go to the gym but that's more for easing a bad back than anything else.

Hobbit
Rookie Member

Post by Hobbit » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:33 pm

TVP PCSOs are tested to the same standards as their regulars, so they say. It's definitely a fitness test on Monday. I'll be expected to reach 5.4 on the bleep test and push/pull 35/34kg.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:42 pm

5.4?

Hobbit
Rookie Member

Post by Hobbit » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:49 pm

Bert Moffat wrote:5.4?
Reach four shuttle runs past level 5

Bert Moffat