• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

How about a national uniform for PCSO's

Police equipment and gear in here please!
PROMETHEUS
Official Member
Official Member

How about a national uniform for PCSO's

Post by PROMETHEUS » Mon May 26, 2008 10:17 am

How about a national uniform for PCSO's - surely this would help us present a more professional appearance? No matter where you go in the UK you are able to recognise a Police Officer by his uniform (OK there are some slight regional variations). Whereas with PCSO's our uniform does not do us justice, take the "US Security Guard" style shield we have in South Yorks as a hat badge! Then there is the band around the hat, I have seen one with a light blue chequer and it looks 100% more professional whilst still enabling people to distinguish between us and a PC. On a personal note I hear that South Yorks are moving over to polo shirts as they are more practical, but I am one of those old fashioned people who prefer to wear a tie!
I welcome any thoughts/comments on this matter, I can take it....honest. :?

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: How about a national uniform for PCSO's

Post by Marlon » Mon May 26, 2008 10:43 am

PROMETHEUS wrote: No matter where you go in the UK you are able to recognise a Police Officer by his uniform (OK there are some slight regional variations).

I can't see there being a truly uniform uniform for PCSOs until or unless there is one for police officers too; otherwise each force will simply continue as now e.g. bow to economic factors and issue the equivalent of their police officer's uniform, with different badging.

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Mon May 26, 2008 12:33 pm

This has been discussed many many times in this forum over the years - if you search you'll no doubt find some quite involved threads.

All I will say, is that there is not a national police uniform, and it fact it varies as much as the CSO uniform does.
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:51 pm

good point jimbo

I thought somebody said there WOULD be a national PCSO uniform though? I forgot who :slhi:
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

CMTsgt
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CMTsgt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 pm

The Derbyshire Constabulary is also considering changing over to Polo Shirts for all Police and PCSOs.
They are trialing the shirts now, We are also being issued with a HI-Viz utility vest to wear over out stab vests.
Lifes a bitch you marry get divorced and marry again

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 pm

already changed over in cambs and there good to
[ external image ]
Is now a PC

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:06 am

The Senior Management in Devon & Cornwall Costabulary are about to change the uniform for ALL frontline Staff ie; Police Officers & PCSO's, we are all going to be measured up for new Stab Vests, that will be worn AT ALL TIMES, at the moment Stabbies are worn when needed.
However the bad news for the PCSO's is that our Blue & White Chequred Hat band is to replaced with a solid blue colour & we are to issued with pale blue wicking shirts.
Regular Officers will be issued Navy Blue wicking shirts.
D&C PCSO's have had very positive comments on our present uniforms from visiting PCSO's, now that is all about to change for the worst.
Even Unison have recommended that the PCSO national uniform should be based on the current D&C PCSO uniform.
Blue & White Chequred hat band with force crest.
all other uniform identical to that of sworn officers except that all badging changed to "POLICE COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICER"

CMTsgt
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CMTsgt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Its seems that its one step forward and two steps back in the uniform issue situation. :slwot:

Rekhmire
Executive Member
Executive Member
Sacred: 'Priest'

Post by Rekhmire » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:31 pm

tonkertoy wrote: Blue & White Chequred hat band with force crest.
I agree with this entirely. I can't understand why PCSO's in my force have the blue band and no crest while City Wardens DOO have a green/white chequerboard (which just looks like black/white from a distance.

I was also told that we couldn't have the crest because we don't swear an oath to the Queen. But why do Police Cadets have the crest and look more like Police Officers than we do, even tho they have NO power at al??l! Not to mention that some of these cadets are over 6' these days! I think the similarity of their uniform to regular Cons is decidedly dangerous for them.

CMTsgt
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by CMTsgt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Who ever said you could not wear your Force hat badge is talking a load of old Bull****, You do noy have to swear an oath of allegence to wear the crown of HM.

squall88uk
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by squall88uk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:54 am

I haven't even started training yet, but at my uniform fitting I was given a force crest, and told how to sew it on to my hat.

I think that the variation in uniform styles reflects the area and the force that they belong to. Some of the more city-based/urban constabularies wouldn't seem quite right with polo shirts etc. It also reflects other issues like budget, the CC's agenda, the role of PCSOs in that particular force and so on.....

That said, I do happen to think my force has one of the smartest, and most attractive uniform styles (especially for PCSOs).

PCSOTristan
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by PCSOTristan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 pm

PROMETHEUS wrote:How about a national uniform for PCSO's - surely this would help us present a more professional appearance? No matter where you go in the UK you are able to recognise a Police Officer by his uniform (OK there are some slight regional variations). Whereas with PCSO's our uniform does not do us justice, take the "US Security Guard" style shield we have in South Yorks as a hat badge! Then there is the band around the hat, I have seen one with a light blue chequer and it looks 100% more professional whilst still enabling people to distinguish between us and a PC. On a personal note I hear that South Yorks are moving over to polo shirts as they are more practical, but I am one of those old fashioned people who prefer to wear a tie!
I welcome any thoughts/comments on this matter, I can take it....honest. :?
Yeah nothing looks more proffessional then that little bit of tie sticking out of your body armour or those nice bits of shirt that pop out all over the place. 21st centuary we should have a uniform fit for purpose, caps, polo shirts, and if the detain power comes in, well with out 100 terms and conditions cuffs!

tnpmonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by tnpmonkey » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 am

tie !

you need to get out on a bike :)

i do around 5-10 average miles a day on a push bike, try wearing a tie etc in the summer doing that!

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 am

squall88uk wrote:...That said, I do happen to think my force has one of the smartest, and most attractive uniform styles (especially for PCSOs).
You should check out the Northants PCSO uniform.

We are THE GODS OF FASHION :slcup:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic