• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Official PSCO uniform

Police equipment and gear in here please!
Jay
Official Member
Official Member
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Official PSCO uniform

Post by Jay » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi guys, was just wondering exactly what we get as part of our uniform, as I have seen some contrasting pictures of PCSO's recently wearing different clothing. Is the uniform the same throughout the country or is it different depending on the area? I'm in West Yorkshire by the way.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jay
Oct 25 2008 - Applied for PCSO with West Yorkshire Police
Nov 25 2008 - Application phase = PASSED
Dec 16 2008 - Assessment phase = PASSED
Jan 28 2009 - Medical = PASSED
Mar 25 2009 - Vetting & References = PASSED
Sep 28 2009 - Start date!

Martb
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Official PSCO uniform

Post by Martb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:53 pm

Each Force has their own PCSO uniform, there is not a national uniform for all PCSOs

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion

Post by typecastboy » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:32 pm

Even the equipment you get varies I believe. Some forces, so I've heard don't even supply Stabbies!
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Jay
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jay » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:35 pm

Ah I see, guess I will just have to wait and see then. Although that could take a while because if I get through the vetting I probably wont start training until the summer. :(

Surely though it would be better if all PCSO's had the same uniform throughout the country.

Martb
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Martb » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:12 pm

yes i agree it would be better if the uniform was standardised. I am in West Mids and we dont get stabbies :slthd:

penguincool
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by penguincool » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Jay wrote:Hi guys, was just wondering exactly what we get as part of our uniform, as I have seen some contrasting pictures of PCSO's recently wearing different clothing. Is the uniform the same throughout the country or is it different depending on the area? I'm in West Yorkshire by the way.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jay

Hi Jay,

I'm a PCSO with West Yorkshire Police, and the uniform is as follows (although it is changing in the very near future) (also the equipment we get issued with)
White Shirt
Blue Tie
Black Trousers (although they appear to be somewhere between navy blue and black)
A black PCSO fleece
Body Armour
High Vis Jacket
Summer High Vis Jacket
Hat
A waterproof cover for your hat (which is just like a shower cap)
Utility belt
Leather belt
Maglite torch
Highway Code
Various attachments for clipping your radio onto clothing
An earpiece for your airwave radio

I think I’ve put everything on there.
And it all comes in a bright blue 'Police' branded bag.

The new uniform looks like its going to be some sort of t-shirt (was going to be polo shirts, but it looks like they've changed their minds)
And possibly a new style of trousers (was going to be combats but that could be changing now)

It could be in place as early as June, there are currently trials ongoing to see what works best.

If you have any more questions just send me a PM and I’ll get back to you!

:)

Jay
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jay » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks for that penguincool much appreciated. It will be good to get to know a few PCSO's in my area. Do you work in Leeds?

spider86
Official Member
Official Member

Post by spider86 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:15 pm

you know stuff like the shirt and trousers, do you get issued with more than 1 of each?? I'm hoping I don't have to wear the same shirt for a whole week!!
And also is there a reason why they don't issue you with boots as I've heard we will have to buy our own? do we get any re-imbursment or anything towards the cost of these??
PCSO West Yorkshire Police

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by tonkertoy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:22 pm

Perhaps as most Forces & Constabularies cannot afford or agree to a user friendly and smart uniform for their PCSO's, maybe the Home Office should provide the PCSO National Uniform, with the Home Office paying for it ??
ALL badged up the same with "POLICE COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICER" on uniform items, as i believe some forces call Officers "COMMUNITY SUPPORT OFFICERS".
We are PCSO's NOT CSO's.

We need a Uniform that is easily recognisable that we work for the Police, as most other organisations are now copying the Police uniform, ie Secuity companies, private clamping firms and even the new Civil Parking Enforcement Officers look like Police Officers !!

I can remember when the Special Constabulary had "SPECIAL CONSTABULARY" on all their uniform items and in recent years, their uniform has "POLICE" on it.
You can only distinguish the Special Constables by the "SC and shoulder number" on their eppies.

Why was the Special Constabulary uniform changed ??

penguincool
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by penguincool » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:22 pm

spider86 wrote:you know stuff like the shirt and trousers, do you get issued with more than 1 of each?? I'm hoping I don't have to wear the same shirt for a whole week!!
And also is there a reason why they don't issue you with boots as I've heard we will have to buy our own? do we get any re-imbursment or anything towards the cost of these??
Currently you are issued with 6 shirts, a mixture of long sleeved and short sleeved, you can chose how many of each you want. And you are issued with 3 pairs of trousers.

Hope this helps.

We were told that they don't issue boots because everybodys feet are different, and it is best to find a pair of boots that are going to suit you and be comfortable. There is no official reimbursment for your boots, it is claimed that it is built into your 'shift allowance' which is on your monthly wage.

penguincool
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by penguincool » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:25 pm

Jay wrote:Thanks for that penguincool much appreciated. It will be good to get to know a few PCSO's in my area. Do you work in Leeds?
Yea i'm currently working in leeds.

I'm not sure if you know but Leeds is broken down into three seperate divisions? There is City and Holbeck which as the name suggests covers the city centre and surrounding area, there is North East Leeds, covering places like Chapeltown, Harehills and Gipton, then there is North West Leeds, covering the universities, airport, places like Pudsey, Headingley etc.

I hope this helps.

spider86
Official Member
Official Member

Post by spider86 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:29 pm

thanks very much penguin :-)
How long have you been a PCSO if you don't mind me asking? and what area do you do?
PCSO West Yorkshire Police

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic