• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

any of you use a sure fire torch?

Police equipment and gear in here please!
ScaredMETpcso
Banned Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

any of you use a sure fire torch?

Post by ScaredMETpcso » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:09 pm

was thinking of getting one but this made me think HHHMMMMMMM (lol)-

"On 26th June 2010 a stand alone Sure fire torch exploded whilst on an officer’s body armour causing injuries to his arm.

On 4th July 2010 another officer’s Glock TAC Illuminator explode on him as well, thankfully he was not injured, but his Glock was damaged. According to his colleagues the torch went red hot and then exploded.

All  officers should  be extra careful with regards  to both the stand alone sure-fire and their weapons mounted Tac Illuminators.

The batteries of concern were “Ledwave” lithium batteries 3 volts and are green in colour.

Officers are reminded to check torches have been turned off when not in use , to check at intervals that the  torch has not been turned on inadvertently while being carried in pouches or in kit bags. Battery manufacturers recommend not mixing new and used batteries or different brand batteries together as this may increase the risk of leakage, fire or explosion. It is recommended that you do not, puncture, short-circuit, disassemble or heat batteries above 212°F (100°C). 

Officers are advised to use  well-known battery manufacturers and strongly urges you to only purchase replacement batteries from well-known battery manufacturers such as Panasonic or Duracell. These batteries are specifically designed for use in high performance, high-drain devices, and contain built-in fault and heat protection for added safety."

CMTsgt
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: any of you use a sure fire torch?

Post by CMTsgt » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Best small torch I bought was from TESCOs, Fit son my body armour vest, Cheap but very bright
Lifes a bitch you marry get divorced and marry again

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Yes and its brilliant, had a cheap one off ebay at first but the switch broke after a few months, the sure fire has been throw thick and thin over the last few years and is still working fine.

Highly recommended.

Moved to "STORES" by MJ12CZ at 20.15 on 11.02.11
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

typecastboy
Gold Elite Legion
Gold Elite Legion
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by typecastboy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Yup, Surefire 6P LED version, costs about £80, but I bought a bulb version on Ebay from USA for £46, then bought a ultra-bright LED head for it, direct from Hong Kong for a tenner. The best torch available, by a long way. Far outshines an LED Lenser, although I have one of those too.
Nov 2008 - Day 2 Fitness/Medical - Passed
Jan 2009 - Start Training in Sidcup
Mar 2009 - On Borough

SINGLE PATROL IS THE WAY FORWARD

Sgt87
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Sgt87 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 pm

I've got a Z2 and an L5. Never had any problems and as they are so small they are on my belt all of the time. Both are LED and I can't remember the last time that I changed the batteries, Duracell of course!

BigBoots
Official Member
Official Member

Post by BigBoots » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 pm

LED Lenser P7 for me, can't go wrong!

averagejoe90
Committee Member
Committee Member
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

Post by averagejoe90 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:52 am

Fenix TK10, you can literally throw them off cliffs and into rivers. its crazy.
AccountKiller

anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by anthill » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:52 pm

Just bought a 2 cell LED Maglite. (approx £35)

Incredible beam and power, and nice to have a bit of weight hanging off the belt at night.

I keep a 1 watt TESCO LED black aluminium torch in my body armour for all other occasions. I don't think they sell them anymore but for £7.99 it's superb.

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:12 pm

I bought a £25 LED lens mini torch last year. Less than a week after bringing it into the nick someone pinched it!
I then bought a second one because it was so good. A few weeks ago "someone" brought my torch back into the nick...looking very used and with dead batteries. :slroll:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic