• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Wicking Shirts.

Police equipment and gear in here please!
ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Northumbria move away from wicking tops

Post by ruben » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:22 am

Northumbria has now been issuing black wicking t-shirts along with black combat trousers for almost 2 years. not long ago a review was carried out.

It has been decided that the trousers are satisfactory, barr a couple of issues which will be resolved with the supplier. the black tops will soon be withdrawn as they are not fit for purpose. there have been a lot of complaints from officers with regards to the quality and effectiveness of the 'wicking' material.

we are now moving onto a coolmax top, or a polo top, whichever proves its worth in the trial.

in my personal opinion this is a move in the right direction. the wicking tops might be great on their own, but with the addition of a vest causes problems. the wicking tops push the sweat away from the body and into the vest. this makes the vest very smelly after a short while and regularly needs washed! hopefully the polo tops will come in soon!!!
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

DOGMA
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Bounty Hunter'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Re: Northumbria move away from wicking tops

Post by DOGMA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:46 am

Wow wish we could have T-Shirts. Were still with the white shirt unless your AR.

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:26 pm

well compared to shirts the wickers are great!!!

Trip
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:27 pm

Unfortunately it wont make a difference whichever fabric is used as Coolmax will do the same as the wicker tops.

The idea of them is to "pull" sweat through the fabric and onto the outside to allow it to evaporate. This is what both the fabrics do. The polo shirts i'm guessing would just be like a normal t-shirt? That will just absorb the sweat and they will get stinky rather than the vest!

Having said that i'd rather have any of them instead of shirts! Its much nicer to have your core body dry and smell free.. :slsp:

One thing that is overlooked by these tops as well is that the vests work better with them instead of a shirt (its not just about looking cool!). Shirts have buttons on them... if a bullet or knife were to hit were the button is you will suffer more trauma from not only the knife/bullet but also the button! Or perhaps a pen that you have left in the handy holder... But I digress!

What I really meant to say was i'm jealous that you already had them andare changing to another... still got shirts here :slwo:

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:23 am

yea you are totally right. no matter what we will always sweat. thats why i prefer polo tops, these are washed after every shift regardless so it makes it easer than washing your vest every week. its a right pain

Trip
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Trip » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Yep thats true - and you can wash them with everything else!

nanook

Essex switching from white shirts to blue Wiking shirts

Post by nanook » Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 am

It has just been announced by our CC that Essex is going to switch from white shirts and blue ties to Blue wiking shirts, was wondering what they like to wear under body armour, we should get the new shirts sometime this summer. We are geting the same uniform as Kent under the "Collaboration" between the two forces.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Essex switching from white shirts to blue Wiking shirts

Post by falkor » Tue May 03, 2011 7:54 am

yeah the main points are

1) Wear the shirt for 2 or 3 days on the trot

2) No tie

3) No ironing

4) wear a vest under it if you want to

5) cheap

6) Wash at the end of 3 days, MAKE SURE THE SHIRT IS THOROUGHLY THOROUGHLY AIRED, do not put this away in a cupboard until it is as dry as dry can be and it has been on a hanger AIRING for a few days first :slch2:
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

nanook

Post by nanook » Tue May 03, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks,, Sounds like a positive step, Ilike the thought of no ironing, or no Tie.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue May 03, 2011 8:12 am

nanook, they are "wicking" shirts and I certainly would not wear one for 2 or 3 days :slsic:
Last edited by Bert Moffat on Tue May 03, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Tue May 03, 2011 8:16 am

You won't look back... they're brilliant. They dry REALLY quickly after washing too.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue May 03, 2011 8:19 am

in Surrey the shirts are issued longsleeve or shortsleeve (total of 7) and staff allowed a fleece of 2 types in addition

1) lightweight fleece

2) heavyweight fleece

but you choose 1) or 2) you can't have both :slwoot:

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Tue May 03, 2011 8:57 pm

I've got witwicky shirts, when not wearing body armour you can wear them for 2/3 days running (antiperspirant dependant) before you need to change them. No ironing, they are far more comfortable than white shirts. Only issue is they can bobble if they catch the velcro on your armour.
Big brother is watching you.

jonny121
Committee Member
Committee Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by jonny121 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:23 pm

I have the black version, definitely wouldn't wear them for more then a day on warm shifts. Very nice and easy to clean. Do look rather tacky without a stabbie on though.
PCSO Nov 2007 - Feb 2010
PC Feb 2010...

anthill
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by anthill » Wed May 04, 2011 6:47 pm

We have blue wicking shirts, comfortable but do 'bobble' when caught on the velcro. Would not wear for more than one shift and wouldn't need to as we get issued 4.

The only problem it seems is that the wicking material draws the moisture away from the body, but the only place for it to go is into your body armour - so after a prolonged hot period, as we are currently experiencing, you'll have to wash your body armour (as I've just done).

I personally would like for PCSO's uniformly to wear white wicking shirts, distinctly different from the uniform black of PC's and white is white unlike the varying shades of blue that the different forces choose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic