• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

First aid training---real life?

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Is the supplied first aid training fit for purpose?

Yes
56%
No
29%
Dont know
12%
Dont care, guys in green suits deal with that.
2%

Total votes: 41

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:52 am

abdi1234 wrote:For all the Met CSOs you can do a Met first aid at work course which lasts a week. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and we had a couple of CSOs there as well.
Can only be a good thing.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:25 pm

I have had a totla of 4hrs training in the seven years I have had as both a T.W. and P.C.S.O. Lidicrous.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:01 pm

On my way home from work today and an elderly man callapsed in the petrol garage, i went and attende to him with someone else that was there and to be honestmost of the stuff we used was common sense stuff, that said if it was more serious then then the ELS would have been beneficial.
Regards
Anthony

stu
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by stu » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:23 pm

I think everyone should have first aid training no matter what. It could only help. Maybe a 4 day course with a refresher from time to time. One day it could be us needing help.
Remember he who dare's wins (only fools and horses)

What you see is not always what you get!

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:43 pm

Had another minor first aid request yesterday, elderly man seemingly collapased in a supermarket, we got called over by a couple of members of the public i asked if the ambulance had been called and the response was i don't know i see you and thought you should know, i think in many ways that ilustrates that we are valued just an observation.
Regards
Anthony

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:01 pm

We dont carry first aid kits around with us, in my area.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Is it because you live in a very safe area.
Regards
Anthony

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

C P R training?

Post by falkor » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:53 pm

A new partnership between the Police and Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton will provide free emergency life saving training in the local community.
Main Category: Public Health
Article Date: 09 Apr 2008 - 1:00 PDT

The "heartstart" course lasts just over two hours and gives trainees practical hands-on skills including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), dealing with choking, serious bleeding and helping someone who may be having a heart attack.

Police and Community Support Officers have been trained by the Resuscitation Training Team at Musgrove Park.
Those who pass are given a certificate and authorised to deliver the training.

Stuart Reeves, Resuscitation Services Manager at Musgrove Park said "These skills are crucially important as one person has a heart attack in the UK every two minutes and about 30% of these people die before reaching hospital. The Heartstart course teaches simple skills that everyone can learn to save lives. We are very proud to be working with the Police to help improve community safety."

Inspector Roger Tolley of Somerset West Police District said "Our Police and Community Support Officers (PCSO) do an excellent job working closely with community groups. This course, delivered in partnership with Musgrove, will make a real difference to the service we can provide and the level of life saving knowledge in the community"

> more

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: First aid training---real life?

Post by tommy » Sat May 03, 2008 5:49 pm

75% hmmm - thats alright i guess :lol:
*Any posts made by me are my personal opinion*

Morley
Executive Officer
Executive Officer
Class: 'Psychic Rogue'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Ranger'

Post by Morley » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 am

Ouch I only managed 72% in the quiz - the defib questions made me crash and burn - never covered that in any detail. I had appointed person training over two days at HQ (which equated to a full day). Touch wood I've never had to use it. But having done the quiz, I've clearly retained a lot as I knew absolutely nothing before the training.

I think the training is adequate. As long as we do the best we can before the professionals arrive (ie ambo), I think we've done enough. That's why we have separate services.
Police Constable Application
Application Sent - 8th August 08
Passed Paper Sift - 24th September 08
Assessment Centre - February 09

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 pm

would you use an AED on a hairy chest?? Widow claims airline staff refused to use defibrillator after husband Jack Jordan suffered heart attack due to his hairy chest

the question is a) were you trained to use an AED on your last first aid training?

and b) if it came to it, WOULD YOU USE AN AED?

[ external image ]

his wife Caroline Jordan claimed a flight attendant dismissed a passenger’s suggestion they use an automated external defibrillator (AED) on the victim.

“The female flight attendant that had been there, right up there with us, said ‘Because his chest is too hairy,’” Mrs Jordan told KOAT.

Mrs Jordan told the station a nurse and a physical therapist had tried reviving her husband with CPR. She said her husband’s chest was eventually shaved and the AED was put on his chest but he died at Albuquerque International Sunport.

Jordan criticised the situation.
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:05 pm

Is a hairy chest an issue?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:33 pm

falkor wrote:would you use an AED on a hairy chest?? Widow claims airline staff refused to use defibrillator after husband Jack Jordan suffered heart attack due to his hairy chest

the question is a) were you trained to use an AED on your last first aid training?

and b) if it came to it, WOULD YOU USE AN AED?

[ external image ]

his wife Caroline Jordan claimed a flight attendant dismissed a passenger’s suggestion they use an automated external defibrillator (AED) on the victim.

“The female flight attendant that had been there, right up there with us, said ‘Because his chest is too hairy,’” Mrs Jordan told KOAT.

Mrs Jordan told the station a nurse and a physical therapist had tried reviving her husband with CPR. She said her husband’s chest was eventually shaved and the AED was put on his chest but he died at Albuquerque International Sunport.

Jordan criticised the situation.

Not been trained in the use by the job. But have been trained historically in another role.

Would definately use one, piece of cake to use (hairy chests not an issue).
AEDs will not shock an unshockable rytham (Asystolic, PEA), and i believe will not shock if another person is touching the casualty, however i wouldn't like to find out.

What force would make of it in the event I used a AED on duty I shudder to think!

Worry not about the AED and concentrate on High Quality Chest Compressions and finding relief/help. Anyone who has done real compressions will tell you keeping up compressions is seriously hard work.

Be happy in the thought that few CA recover - but you have to try.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic