• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Laws on Lost Property

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Luke
Registered Member
Registered Member

Laws on Lost Property

Post by Luke » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know where i can find the laws about Lost Property?

All help will be much appriciated

Thanks,

Luke

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by oli » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:26 pm

Basically the finder has to take "reasonable steps" to find the loser and the best way of doing this is registering the item at the police station or handing it in...

And if you dont take resonable steps its theft by finding!

Luke
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Luke » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:35 pm

Thanks,

Its just we have Lost property dating back to 1992 at work and I know there are certain laws about it and i want to be sure about them before i do anything with it.

oli
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by oli » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:38 pm

1992!!!!!

The police normally auction things off after a few months!
Were the items recorded at the nearest police station or does everyone know where you work has a lost property office?

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Just as a n aside:
BTP do NOT take lost prop on the railways. It's all handled by the relevant TOC / Train Operating Company for that line who will use a central loaction for their lost prop ( For South West Trains it's Waterloo ). If you tell BTP, we'll send you to them, even if it's crime related in tems of theft ( in simple cases of finding a purse / wallet with cards in etc )
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Luke
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Luke » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Its all been handed into the reception alot has been claimed just other items have been put into the lost property cupboard and as new things have been added older stuff has been forgotten about. We are in the process of sorting it all out and were just unsure on the laws about it.

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:32 pm

If this in non police i think after 6 months you can dispose of it , each company appears to have different ways of dealing with lost property, i have worked in three different companies and they all had different procedures ffor dealing with lost property, the last company sent an email advising all staff that they where going to dispose of found property within two weeks and to check with reception if any of the items were theres, hope this helps abit.
Regards
Anthony

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:57 am

Just so you're aware, the police don't have a duty or responsibility to look after lost property. It's one of those things that has developed over the decades, that if you find something you hand it in to a police officer.

On a side note, if someone finds something in our force, if we can't trace the owner the finder can reclaim it in 30 days/1 month. Some things obviously won't be handed back. Cards, ID, mobile telephones e.t.c. It promotes honesty though, a few months ago a young lad (ie about 6) found a £20 note. He handed it in to us and his mother was pleasantly surprised at his honesty e.t.c. a month later when we gave him a nice shiny £20 note after noone had reclaimed it.
Big brother is watching you.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Laws on Lost Property

Post by falkor » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:06 pm

… and continuing on those wise words from BB …... Persons excluded from retaining property are detailed below:

A police officer a member of police staff or PCSO a person of no fixed abode or a juvenile unaccompanied by a responsible adult.

Property detailed below may not been retained by the finder:
i. identifiable
ii. cash of £100 or more
iii. a firearm, ammunition or explosive
iv. any drug or poison including prescriptions
v. a classified or official document
vi. HM Services equipment
vii. a National Insurance card or stamp
viii. a postal order or giro warrant
ix. a premium bond or savings certificate
x. a cheque, pawn ticket or personal document
xi. a mobile telephone or any electronic device capable of storing personal information including but not limited to IPODs and PlayStations
xii. unlawful for the finder to retain
xiii. property that may be connected with crime
xiv. any item(s) which, in the professional judgement of the officer, should be retained by the police
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Re: Laws on Lost Property

Post by Bert Moffat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:33 pm

That took a while.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic