FREE TRAVEL for met pcsos

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: FREE TRAVEL for met pcsos

Post by jimbo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Do so mate - if you're still struggling in a week or so, let me know and I'll see if I can get a name.
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Rossellmac
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Rossellmac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:08 pm

ok cheers, even as a pcso iv been told to wear long sleeves to cover it so dont see why i couldnt have done that as a pc, :slhuh:
Met Assessment passed 4th April 2008
Medical Passed 7th May 2008
Vetting Passed 13th June 2008
posted to Newham Borough
Working in lovely Plaistow South at present

::Dance like no ones watching you::

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:33 pm

what are your tattoo's of?
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

Rossellmac
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Rossellmac » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 pm

its a hibiscus flower and a japanese crasanth flower with waves swirling round them, and its only the outline, no colour, not TOO offensive lol.
Met Assessment passed 4th April 2008
Medical Passed 7th May 2008
Vetting Passed 13th June 2008
posted to Newham Borough
Working in lovely Plaistow South at present

::Dance like no ones watching you::

Granty
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Granty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 am

They're even worse on tattoos in the armed forces from what I can gather!

I went along for an interview with the RAF Police and was told I may have some difficulty getting in because of the 'Nazi Germany assosciations' of a tattoo on my back.

I ended up not joining anyway, because i passed my CSO interview but I couldn't believe what they were saying.

I argued that It's got nothing to do with Nazi germany - it's a maltese cross a chivalric symbol used by the nights of malta in the crusades.
St John's ambulance use it as their emblem these days for christ sake

But of course they took no notice and wrote on my form 'Large Iron Cross (Nazi cross) tattoo on upper back'

ARGH.

rant over.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 am

From The Times September 29, 2008

Free travel for police costs taxpayer £24m a year

Sean O’Neill, Crime Editor
The cost to the public purse of giving London’s police officers a free ride on the railways has risen to £24 million a year, The Times has learnt.

The Metropolitan Police is facing Whitehall pressure over the cost of the perk, which enables its 31,000 officers to travel up to 50 miles (80km) beyond London without having to buy a ticket, even if they are off duty. Officers just show their warrant cards to inspectors.

With police forces around the country being told to make efficiency savings, the future of ticketless rail travel for the Met is under review.

Scotland Yard confirmed that its contract for the scheme with the Association of Train Operating Companies cost £16 million for 2008-09. Five years ago the scheme cost half that. The Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) also has to meet an estimated £8 million tax liability because the travel deal is regarded by the taxman as a perk.

Free travel for officers was introduced on the Tube and buses in London in 1970 in response to a rise in crime and attacks on transport staff. A deal to extend that to overground trains was negotiated in 2001. The Met viewed it as a tool in recruiting and retaining officers who lived outside London. The Met said that the arrangement helped to cut crime on the railways, with each officer intervening to stop or prevent trouble three times per year on average.

The cost of the perk is negotiated every year in closed sessions at police authority meetings because they are regarded as commercially sensitive.

Peter Smyth, chairman of the Metropolitan Police Federation, said he was surprised that the cost of the rail perk had risen so high. “The recent recruitment drive to get the Met’s numbers up from 26,000 to 31,000 has been built on free travel,” Mr Smyth said. “To contemplate taking that benefit away would almost certainly result in many officers reviewing their position about where they want to work. It would have a big impact on the Met’s ability to recruit.” Mr Smyth said that rail companies would also lose the crime-reduction benefit of having officers on trains, as many would probably choose to drive to work.

A spokesman for the MPA said: “The agreed one-year extension for 2008-09 with the Association of Train Operating Companies was £16 million. The MPA also meets the cost of the tax liability, which is estimated at £8 million. The MPA is reviewing the costs of this scheme along with the rest of the £3.5 billion expenditure to provide a value-for-money budget to Londoners.”

The concession entitles police officers to free travel on London Underground, buses, trams and the Docklands Light Railway services, as well as certain routes on the overground national rail system, on and off duty. Special constables can travel free on the Underground, bus, tram, overground and DLR services, on and off duty. Police community support officers and traffic wardens are entitled to free bus travel while on duty.
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 am

On these figures it costs about £730 per officer, paid for by the Met even if they do not use it, for PCSOs to get free travel at the same rate it would cost 3.25 million, most PCSOs I have spoken to do not use their free bus travel so why waste this money on travel that may only be used by 50% of us, have an extra £500 pay rise then those who need the money for travel could have something towards it, those who drive would have money towards petrol and if you walk money towards your shoes, The travel is not free you are paying for it in some way be it in your taxes or pay rises.

If the police lose it
1 it will end the call for us to get it
2 the Fed will restart their right to go on strike with real vigour and many may leave due to the cost on those that do use it
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

Granty
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Granty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:51 pm

I love the way the press do a lot of flapping around when figures like that are released. 24million, yes that does seem a lot, but not when you consider that works out at about 40p pppa. The met do a good job, I don't mind paying 40p so their officers can travel for free on the busses

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:58 pm

Granty, you need to re do your maths £24,000,000/33,000 = £727.27 pppa

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

Granty
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Granty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:01 pm

I assumed we we're talking about the whole of the UK.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:03 pm

No it is only Met officers who get free travel

Granty
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by Granty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Noooo! I was assuming 'the taxpayer' meant the whole of the UK taxpayers, not just londoners, that's where i got the 40p from! Altohough, it would be closer to 50p methinks... lol

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:54 pm

The tax payer only pays for it in aroundabout way it comes out of the Met Police budget the story is a bit miss leading

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCH » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:15 pm

baronsmirnoff wrote:No it is only Met officers who get free travel

Police Officers in the West Midlands get free rail, bus and metro travel on or off duty..

jimbo
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by jimbo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:53 pm

baronsmirnoff wrote:No it is only Met officers who get free travel

And BTP! ;-)

Free travel for officers was introduced on the Tube and buses in London in 1970 in response to a rise in crime and attacks on transport staff

Surely this would still apply today, especially in this wave of gang fights and knife incidentns?
Does dim rhaid i chi ddweud dim byd. Ond gall niweidio eich amddiffyniad os na fyddwch chi’n son, wrth gael eich holi am rywbeth y byddwch chi’n dibynnu arno nes ymlaen yn y Llys. Gall unrhyw beth yr ydych yn ei ddweud gael ei roi fel tystiolaeth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic