btp free travel??

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

EXSCREW123
Registered Member
Registered Member

btp free travel??

Post by EXSCREW123 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:35 am

hello there,

im hoping to start as cso with btp in feb(just waiting on vetting now)i live in hants and am wondering what the score is for free train travel,i.e is there a certain distance that you get free,or isit at a reduced rate??

cheers guys

alex :slhi:

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: btp free travel??

Post by r_brotheridge » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm

as a cso you will get a residential pass which entitles you up to 8ish miles of free travel when you've got your i.d badge on you, that said they don't cut it dead at 8 there are a couple of the peeps at my nick that live about 8.5 miles away and they allow that

good luck by the way :)

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:58 pm

If you live in Hants and work in London you get the whole 70 ,mile residential travel with a staff travel pass. We have PCSO's at our nick in London who travel to Hastings, Brighton, Staplehurst, Bedford etc.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

EXSCREW123
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by EXSCREW123 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:40 am

thanks guys,

well its good to know that im not the only one that is going to travel some distance to work ha ha.
also good to know it will be freeof cost!!
headset i have another question for you mate,what are your shift hours up there??im hoping on london south or lu

many thanks

alex

r_brotheridge
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by r_brotheridge » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 am

yeah should have mentioned that the London lot (especially underground) get all the nice stuff :P

i'm only jealous lol

Stigy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Stigy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:40 pm

Headset 57 wrote:If you live in Hants and work in London you get the whole 70 ,mile residential travel with a staff travel pass. We have PCSO's at our nick in London who travel to Hastings, Brighton, Staplehurst, Bedford etc.

*In the nicest possible manner*

Are you sure you're entitled to it as a PCSO? Even for BTP. I work for a train company and I've spoken to revenue guys who have reported PCSOs for travelling on their ID cards. Seems a little petty in some cases, but I was under the impression that only Police Officers were entitled to free travel within a 70-mile radius of London, on the understanding that they'd step in if trouble broke out whilst enroute. I know PCSOs get free inner-london travel on Tube, buses and Trams etc, but not sure about mainline trains. :slwo:

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:21 am

Yes,it's on the intranet. BTP only, otherwise we wouldn't spend 2 hours travelling up to London from the coast. 75% off travel elsewhere too.

Our shift here is 10 hours 07.00 - 17.00 on ET and 13.00 - 23.00 on LT with no nights or Sunday.

EXSCREW123
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by EXSCREW123 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:52 am

Headset 57 wrote:Yes,it's on the intranet. BTP only, otherwise we wouldn't spend 2 hours travelling up to London from the coast. 75% off travel elsewhere too.

Our shift here is 10 hours 07.00 - 17.00 on ET and 13.00 - 23.00 on LT with no nights or Sunday.

cheers mate,those shifts sound verry appealing to me compared to what i do in custody ha ha.

many thanks for all your info

alex

EXSCREW123
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by EXSCREW123 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:39 am

ok one more question about these shifts(sorry guys)
i had a phone call today from recruitment asking me if i was relocating to london for the job,i replied i wasnt and that i could get the train as the last one leaves london after 2300 hrs.i was then told that this could be a problem as i could be told to work on til 0200hrs??i said well il guess il have to drive then.
how accurate is this because i dont really fancy driving to london every time im a late turn if it can be helped.

cheers

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:07 am

EXSCREW123 wrote:ok one more question about these shifts(sorry guys)
i had a phone call today from recruitment asking me if i was relocating to london for the job,i replied i wasnt and that i could get the train as the last one leaves london after 2300 hrs.i was then told that this could be a problem as i could be told to work on til 0200hrs??i said well il guess il have to drive then.
how accurate is this because i dont really fancy driving to london every time im a late turn if it can be helped.

cheers

You cant be told to work to a new additional time but you can be asked. It is upto you if you except. Say you finish at midnight but you are asked to work to 2 in the morning, you cant be forced as this is not legal.

How many miles is your return journey if you go by car?

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:30 am

Rarely have our guys and gals gad to stay on over in town. Most tend to get their last train. Only 6 times in 4 years have i had to get the tube, after my last train, or get a job car home!.Most jobs in the golden hour can usually have a statement done the next day when your back in.
If you do drive, remember the congestion charge times £8.00 at the moment and any relevant parking at stations. Some people do half and half at a suburban station and catch the train.

Only the Lu work till close of traffic.

EXSCREW123
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by EXSCREW123 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:09 am

ok nice one fellas,suppose il just have to wait and see where i get posted.
cheers for all the help.

alex

wiggum
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by wiggum » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am

Sorry to bump a rather old thread but it would be create if someone could let me know what the current latest finish and earliest start is for BTP PCSOs in London? PM is fine if you prefer.

I'm looking to commute from Sittingbourne in Kent (if successful applying!), where the last train home from Victoria usually leaves at 0007 on weeknights, and the earliest I can arrive is 0709 on a weekday.

I'm really keen but I'm worried this could scupper me. HR haven't seemed very sure when I've emailed through.

Think I could make this work? Anyone else got tips for commuting from Kent? Maybe there's somewhere you can kip in the nick waiting for the first train home?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic