Specials to replace PCSO'S

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Specials to replace PCSO'S

Post by 6979 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:49 pm

I work for Cheshire Con and have done for 8 years as a PCSO, Cheshire seem mighty keen on recruiting Specials at the mo, just thinking is this because front line officers are going to be cut and specials are free of charge.

tonkertoy
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Re: Specials to replace PCSO'S

Post by tonkertoy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:58 pm

After 8 years as a PCSO, why have you only just joined PCSO.com, where have you been ??

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by plum » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:39 pm

I have the utmost respect FOR members of the special Constabulary * Unlike some posters to his site * (used be a SC ) my self
my son has applied to be one in Notts

But with the best will in the world

I can not see how you could get people to give up the time to do the work we undertake
the reason why the public like CSOs is that we are there in their community's day in day out week in week out
unlike **some*** cops who play the promotion community card , we are constant we stick with it

How many flash in the pan PCs and Sgts I have seen come and go over the years

The public like the continuity
would a SC really want to tip up to any old folks home every wed at 10am for coffee
to run NHW meetings
and the 100 and 1 things we do

Specials have a valid place
and so do we

But the are not the same
Last edited by plum on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

Special
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Special » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:26 pm

6979 wrote:I work for Cheshire Con and have done for 8 years as a PCSO, Cheshire seem mighty keen on recruiting Specials at the mo, just thinking is this because front line officers are going to be cut and specials are free of charge.
Err... it's 2010 , PCSOs were introduced in 2004 ,yet you have been one for 8 years?

Something wrong with this picture me thinks.

Policeymans
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Policeymans » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Special wrote:
6979 wrote:I work for Cheshire Con and have done for 8 years as a PCSO, Cheshire seem mighty keen on recruiting Specials at the mo, just thinking is this because front line officers are going to be cut and specials are free of charge.
Err... it's 2010 , PCSOs were introduced in 2004 ,yet you have been one for 8 years?

PCSOs were introduced in 2002. :sljo:

Anywho. Lots of forces are gunning for specials. Cheap you see. Can't see them as a replacement for PCSOs mind you. Anyone who works in a role for just 16 hours a month might well do some work on that chosen day, but none of the responsibility will be theirs. Won't make sense.
BRING BACK BRIAN

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:53 pm

plum wrote:I have the utmost respect FOR members of the special Constabulary * Unlike some posters to his site * (used to a SC ) my self

I can not see how you could get people to give up the time to do the work we undertake
the reason why the public like CSOs is that we are there in their community's day in day out week in week out
unlike **some*** cops who play the promotion community card , we are constant we stick with it

would a SC really want to tip up to any old folks home every wed at 10am for coffee
to run NHW meetings

and so do we

But the are not the same

In my experience most specials want to bathe in blue light, not wander around cold, dark, damp streets and play with the youth, do repeat victim visits or such.

Catweazle
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Catweazle » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:03 pm

Essentially, Specials only cover the occasional Friday evening and the occasional Saturday sporting event. If they were paid the minimum wage, they'd get the incentive to put in a lot more hours. Whilst the vast majority are very keen at the beginning, the fact that they have to work for nothing soon sinks in- and the "What the hell I am doing this for" attitude soon kicks in... leaving a tiny minority of long-term Specials who are still motivated. Voluntary Specials cannot possibly replace PCSOs- I think even the most naive politicians understand this (OK, I'm exaggerating there... SOME politicans may understand it).
I may not agree with what you have to say- but I'll defend to the death (well, almost) your right to say it.

May the Reasonable Force be with you !

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:33 pm

plum wrote:I have the utmost respect FOR members of the special Constabulary * Unlike some posters to his site * (used to a SC ) my self

to run NHW meetings

WELL SAID I AGREE 100%

and so do we

But the are not the same
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

PI & GI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PI & GI » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:33 pm

I AGREE 100%
WHO LOVES YA BABY! (KOJAK)

Victor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Victor » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:40 am

Special wrote:

I started my job on 06/01/2003! :slhi:

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 am

I think the specials are being recruited to replace PCs who retire or leave. Their role is too different from PCSOs to replace them. There is currently a recruitment stop but the criminals keep multiplying so the math does not add up. Therefore all forces will need more specials, a LOT more specials.

I dont believe its got anything to do with PCSOs

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 pm

I don't think this is the case, from reading the GMP report the only people who have heard nothing are PCSOs so I can see PCSO replacing PCs as the force will save £10K+ with every retirement / replacement.

Lalrmi
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Lalrmi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Specials are now instructed they are to work on Neighbourhoods,and be attached to a specific CBM and Neighbourhood....:(

steve999
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by steve999 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:45 pm

Lalrmi wrote:Specials are now instructed they are to work on Neighbourhoods,and be attached to a specific CBM and Neighbourhood....:(
That is why there are very few specials who turn up for duty. We use to have 2 Specials who would turn up every weekend on the response team and they loved it. They would double up with someone and help out where they could. They were willing to learn and brilliant to work with.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:54 am

Lalrmi wrote:Specials are now instructed they are to work on Neighbourhoods,and be attached to a specific CBM and Neighbourhood....:(
We got the same instruction last week, cue lots of unhappy specials. 3-4 of of our group of 20 like to play with the blue lights, NPT officers do not.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic