Coppers - Channel 4 tonight...

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Coppers - Channel 4 tonight...

Post by brianb » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 pm

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/coppers
Series Summary

"As police budgets, and numbers, come under threat, this hard-hitting series reveals what police officers across England really think about being on the frontline of 21st-century Britain.

With access to police forces across the country - from Kent to West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester to Cambridgeshire - and from inner cities to rural beats, Coppers shows what police officers are up against every day of their working lives.

The series captures the reality of the job: from the riot police who face serious public disorder on our streets, to the seasoned custody sergeants who've seen it all, from the staff facing time-wasters calling 999 to emergency response teams racing to the scene only to find themselves acting as social workers or marriage guidance counsellors, and from traffic cops picking up the pieces after accidents to the thin blue line who face abuse and violence from binge-drinkers every weekend."

Would you reveal "what you really think" on TV land?

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: Coppers - Channel 4 tonight...

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:39 pm

i wouldn't but saying that the public already know. I will be watching it though
[ external image ]
Is now a PC

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:35 am

I only saw a bit of it, but the views seemed pretty candid and grounded, none of the usual getting intel a warrent and smashing a door down in 10 mins, going everywhere on blues and arrests every ten seconds.

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 pm

It should have been called "Custodies" not "Coppers" as most of the programme was about the saddoes that were locked up, interspersed with a view comments from the staff.

A platform was given for the most disgusting custody to relay his "poetry" to the crew and had to carry a warning before it was broadcast. They even interviewed someone's old grandad who started reading his poetry and was upset because his entry in a competition was beaten by a poem about heroin.

Not exactly and "eye-opening" start to the series and a big disappointment, and having seen the trailer for next week's episode which is to feature Road Policing, I fear this will bite us in the arse.

RednBlue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by RednBlue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Knowing the chaps in the Roads Policing programme, I'm a bit disappointed with the use of colourful language.... Appreciated that this is a 'warts and all' programme but it doesnt cast the Constabulary in a great light when the officers are effing and jeffing every two seconds.....
Frustrating because these guys are very good cops who have come to my rescue on a couple of occasions!

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by plum » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:33 pm

pointless TV to me

Nothing that we dont see daily
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

brianb
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by brianb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:55 pm

But it's not for our benefit surely.

plum
Gold Committee Member
Gold Committee Member
Class: 'Undead Hunter'

Post by plum » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 pm

yep thats true
Dont think its very ground breaking
seems to be the same as a number of " cops on tv "shows

Side issue

Cops as in " bad boys ,bad boys what you gona do when the cops come for you" that is a good show
If you choose to swim in the swamp with the crocodiles
You only have yourself to blame if you get bittern

spence 70
Official Member
Official Member
Class: 'Holy Avenger'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by spence 70 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 am

God your a happy bunch :sltee:
Is there nothing you lot dont moan about :slna:

PCSO Mickyboy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by PCSO Mickyboy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:00 am

Going to be my force next lol
[ external image ]
Is now a PC

Policeymans
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Policeymans » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:38 pm

spence 70 wrote:God your a happy bunch :sltee:
Is there nothing you lot dont moan about :slna:
Getting fed. I like getting fed.

Anywho. Saw this custody one, reminded me why I don't like these sorts of shows. Why give these scum their 5 minutes of fame, whoop de doo.

I'm also unsure of how the 'coppers' come across. Some of the staff featured in the first show ended up looking very stupid or very sad. That DDO who tried showing off to the cameras trying to get that black fella to put his arm back in his cell, only to get punched in the stomach - one example. The jailer who insisted on being best mates with the pondlife that was released from custody the night before, only to reoffend immediately, being another. From here the show stopped being about custody and turned into a biopic of that idiot's life.

The adverts for next week look even more cringeworthy. Looks like they've managed to find two architypal traffic rats who want to try and look funny on television but who are, in actual fact grown men on a power trip acting in a very sad way.

I shan't be watching again unless an advert makes one episode look particularly fantastic or SNTs are featured.

The most contentious thing said on the opening episode was when one lady jailer said "The human rights laws are... well... um.. rubbish. Sorry." - For a 'warts and all' show I want to see officers and staff slate the system properly, not mince their words and apologise for them.

Not a good start.
BRING BACK BRIAN

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:21 pm

If nothing else it has got people in my nick talking!

Felony
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Felony » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 am

I heard a rumour that one of the DO's is getting diciplined for comments made on the show.

If true... RIDICULOUS.
FELONY :: NO LONGER PART OF THE OF THE PCSO WORLD
[ATTENTION - DRY SARCASM MAY BE EXPERIENCED]
[ external image ]

Marlon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Marlon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Policeymans wrote: The most contentious thing said on the opening episode was when one lady jailer said "The human rights laws are... well... um.. rubbish. Sorry." - For a 'warts and all' show I want to see officers and staff slate the system properly, not mince their words and apologise for them.
Felony wrote:I heard a rumour that one of the DO's is getting diciplined for comments made on the show.

If true... RIDICULOUS.

You'd have to be stupid to say anything genuinely "contentious" or, if you did so, not to realise the potential consequences.

Policeymans
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Policeymans » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 pm

No, you should be allowed to say whatever you want in this day and age. I slag off the job all the time because the organisation is completely flawed. This show marketed itself on being about 'Police like you've never seen them before. Hear what they really think." - It's anything but.

Really grinds my gears that the top knobs can't and won't take any form of criticism and instead of listening how to improve the working days of its staff we just get disciplined for speaking out instead.
BRING BACK BRIAN

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic