• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

school Crossing patrols under threat?

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

school Crossing patrols under threat?

Post by falkor » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Parents and children at a primary school put on a ‘slow walk’ across a busy road in protest at plans to scrap their lollipop lady.
Anne Duffield, chair of governors and Labour councillor, said scrapping patrols could lead to a child being killed.

She said: “The likelihood of losing school crossing patrols fills us with genuine dread - the potential for increased outside school fracas, injuries and death loom.
[ external image ]
“Our school crossing patrols not only keep the children safe on the crossings, but also develop a positive relationship with the school community and regular drivers who recognise their work and take notice of them when driving.”

Seymour Park headteacher Anthony Rea said: “We understand that cuts need to be made, but the concern we have is that 660 children come to school through these gates every morning.

“Trish's role is absolutely vital. We've had accidents here in the past, because drivers just don't stop and think. People just see it as they've got to get to work. This isn't about money, it's about people's lives.

“I'm really proud people have come out, because they believe this is the wrong decision.”
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: school Crossing patrols under threat?

Post by Big Brother » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:58 am

Ridiculous, and a pathetic attempt to save not very much money.
She'll be on no more than £7 an hour, 2 hours a day. Even if she worked 5 days a week, every week and through the school holidays she would earn no more than £3640.
The true figure is going to be significantly less.

That said, can't the school cover the cost?
Big brother is watching you.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:55 am

That's the biggest problem with cuts to public services. It's the loss of many frontline jobs, each of which only save a relatively small amount, rather than going for the big salaries at the top of the tree. I'm sure there's many councils that can afford to lose a few "senior executives" and thus save hundreds of thousands whilst keeping more important roles.

big brother, I doubt the schools can afford to pay as they're feeling the pinch as well. Their funding comes, in part at least, from the local authority.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 am

powdermonkey wrote:That's the biggest problem with cuts to public services. It's the loss of many frontline jobs, each of which only save a relatively small amount, rather than going for the big salaries at the top of the tree. I'm sure there's many councils that can afford to lose a few "senior executives" and thus save hundreds of thousands whilst keeping more important roles.

big brother, I doubt the schools can afford to pay as they're feeling the pinch as well. Their funding comes, in part at least, from the local authority.

Volunteers?

We have lost a couple about two years ago... Carnage has not ensued...

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:09 am

dark lord,

Volunteers may well be one answer and another might be walking buses. However, the point I was trying to make was that yet again the cuts are being made to frontline services and cutting one executive level job would save as much money as cutting a number of jobs such as lollipop ladies.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

the dark lord
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by the dark lord » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:30 am

powdermonkey wrote:dark lord,

Volunteers may well be one answer and another might be walking buses. However, the point I was trying to make was that yet again the cuts are being made to frontline services and cutting one executive level job would save as much money as cutting a number of jobs such as lollipop ladies.
Well you wont find me disagreeing there.

The council where i live has sent out a letter warning us they are doing to go from providing a dreadful service to a dire service due to the cutbacks that are coming. They have lost 22% of their staff from 2009... I wonder how many of those are 1st tier managers and above?

Surely with the council having less money, less staff and consequently doing less there is less to manage thus less managers are needed.

We have 3 Councillors per ward, I think that needs to be cut back too and use the money saved to provide service to the taxpayer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic