Joint Enterprise? is it justice? should it be cancelled?

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Joint Enterprise? is it justice? should it be cancelled?

Post by falkor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:21 pm

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/new ... se-8684690 The fight goes on, but if you were the mother of a child in jail, because of Joint Enterprise, you would fight until you got justice. The other week, a group of mums whose sons were jailed for murders they said they did not commit, were demonstrating in Liverpool against the law that convicted them. Joint Enterprise is when a group of people who were present during a crime were prosecuted, even if they were not directly involved.
The purpose of the demonstration was to get the public to support the cause and sign a petition to cancel this law.
A while ago, one of the mothers' friends wrote to Jimmy McGovern for help. When he looked into it, he was so shocked and angry at the injustice of Joint Enterprise.
A young man incarcerated for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The more Jimmy looked into it, the more frustrated he became.
After a long journey, he wrote the BBC drama, Common, which has won awards and got the nation talking. There is so much injustice tied up with this draconian law, that goes back to the days of gentlemen duelling.
There were many such stories, so this award-winning writer distilled all of them into a dramatic narrative that gives a compelling testimony to this unjust doctrine.
Common as a piece of drama gave a balanced view on this law. Jimmy and Colin McKeown, from LA Productions, worked together to make sure this drama was seen by so many.
They’ve just won the Royal Television Society Best Single Drama, the Best Scriptwriter and now the other week another ac......
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Re: Joint Enterprise? is it justice? should it be cancelled?

Post by Big Brother » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:45 am

If a serious crime is committed and you're there, you are either in the dock with them or in the witness stand putting them away. That is how justice is done.

These lads weren't in the wrong place at the wrong time, they were jointly involved in the deaths of other people, its great the mothers are trying to paint them as innocents when they're far from it. If you're there when a murder takes place and you do anything other than immediately hand yourself in as a witness, or even better try and stop it happening then you're just as guilty as the person who did it in my eyes.
Big brother is watching you.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:36 pm

The use of "joint enterprise" may be beneficial in some cases, such as the Stephen Lawrence murder, but there are dangers - Derek Bentley springs to mind. It should be used with the utmost caution and there'll be many instances where things aren't as clear cut as Big Brother suggests.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Bert Moffat
Banned Member

Post by Bert Moffat » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Fly wi' the craws, get shot wi' the craws....

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 am

Big Brother has it for me :slwoot: I quite agree plus Flying Squad love Joint Enterprise because it's so easily applied in the cases they deal with

PM I think this is a rare case when I think you're being too cautious and I side with Bert Moffat! :sldv:
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic