CSOs in other countries

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

CSOs in other countries

Post by JimmyRiddle » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 am

I know this topic has come up before, but I was just watching the Morgan Spurlock series and on episode which covered how Stockton, California is in dire financial circumstances. The Police Chief mentioned how officers have been cut, homicide reduced, CSOs, etc. also. That obviously made me think "I wonder if they've got the similar system we do".

I looked it up and found a job description here: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stockt ... bID=992756

They seem to be well paid, as their salary starts at around $36K and the capital city of my state (Raleigh, NC) the Police start on $34K. Cost of living is different I know, but a lot of lefty states have very powerful unions which is why states like CA, NY or NJ get a LOT more and some sweet benefits.

Just thought people might find this interesting.
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: CSOs in other countries

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:12 pm

Very interesting. I noted a few things :

1. he collection and processing of evidence which, I assume, means some form of forensic awareness and training.

2. The involvement in civil proceedings. PCSO's in the UK don't get involved and I think the difference is that we're employed by the police whereas the CSO's in Stockton are employed by the local council.

I'm also wondering what the public's attitude towards the CSO's is. Are they viewed as "plastic" or "failed wannabes"? One thing I have noticed when I've watched US reality cop shows is how so many people are deferential , using "Sir" at every verse end. Maybe the fact that the cop is armed has something to do with it.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

JimmyRiddle
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: CSOs in other countries

Post by JimmyRiddle » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:42 am

The civil proceedings I imagine is to do with serving civil process e.g. divorce proceedings, summons, etc. This is often the job of the local Sheriff's office here, maybe they take up some of the slack.

I don't think there's anything like the level of categorisation (class driven snobbery?!) as in the UK. Even in the documentary the officer being interviewed says one reason crime has got bad is because they have less officers, less CSOs to go to jobs, etc. Maybe their job is more clearly defined so they don't end up going to Police type jobs and therefore no conflict/confusion? Difficult to say. Also, don't forget that a security guard here can and often does carry the same kit as a cop so that also affects people's perception.

Interestingly enough, the Sheriff's office in this state have three basic jobs: serve civil processes, operate a jail and the court. Nowhere in the law does it say they must answer calls for service or even patrol. The North Carolina constitution also acknowledges that the highest authority in the state is a Sheriff, so if the FBI or ATF etc. wanted to take over an investigation, the Sheriff has the right to tell them to take a hike.
Power of arrest for PCSOs for 'as and when' - s24a PACE & common law (i.e. BoP) using s3 CLA 1967

I'm a PCSO, I will WATCH you get your head kicked in (as per force policy)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic