The Northants PCSO who is riding tall

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

The Northants PCSO who is riding tall

Post by falkor » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:27 pm

[ external image ]
PCSO Natasha Fountain is the only PCSO who patrols the North of East Northamptonshire on horse back with nine-year-old Cody.

I spotted her while I was in Oundle taking pictures for a Lunchtime Life and decided to investigate further as it is not often I have seen a PCSO on the beat like this.

Having a chat to PCSO Fountain I could tell by listening to what she had to say she felt what she was doing was a privilege and an honour especially to be doing it on a horse.

She said: "This (patrolling on a horse) was first trailed on January 28, 2015, to see if it would work and how the community would perceive it."

It seems to have gone down very well as out of the 90 PCSO's in Northants she is the only one who rides a horse.

Speaking about PCSO Fountain and Cody, Sector Inspector for East Northants, Julie Mead, said: "PCSO Natasha Fountain and Cody have been a phenomenal success. They've increase visibility and reassurance in the community and are local celebrities in Oundle.

"They offer community reassurance and aid crime prevention. They've made a noticeable impact on traffic calming on the local roads.

"Cars slow down for them and are more likely to then slow down for other horse and riders too. They also go off-road and help tackle poaching and hare-coursing, improving trust and confidence in our rural communities."

Giving her thoughts on this different way of policing in the county, PCSO Fountain said: "By doing it this way I have a lot of strings to my bow.

"I have done some town centre patrols but mainly we (her horse Cody) patrol the bridleways and byeways in the north of East Northants.

"I keep my eyes open for fly tipping, rave sites and reporting gates which could be a danger for other riders as If I am struggling to get through then other riders will as well.

"I also keep an eye out for poaching and hare coursing." Read more: http://www.northampton-news-hp.co.uk/No ... z45q3Lswdp
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: The Northants PCSO who is riding tall

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 am

A great idea. Might be more suited to forces with large rural areas as evidence by what jobs Natasha goes to
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic