• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

First aid training---real life?

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Is the supplied first aid training fit for purpose?

Yes
56%
No
29%
Dont know
12%
Dont care, guys in green suits deal with that.
2%

Total votes: 41

melvin
Executive Member
Executive Member

First aid training---real life?

Post by melvin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:46 pm

Hi all.
I know there are some members on here who are Sjab or BRC or private amb staff.
However, most boys and girls here only have their police FA training.

I am interested to know whether or not you feel it is fit for purpose.....

The police, for our grade only seem to offer an 'appointed persons' course
Which is the resus and recovery position course.
If you are lucky, there may an element of bleeding control or fracture management.

What do you guys think about the training tha you are given?

Hve you dealt with an incident, but felt..Wow, that was hairy...wish they has taught me what to do...or Im glad they trained me in that, it made a difference.

thanks
Mel
Fighting crime on the line some of the time.
But you have no hope if im on refs, im gonna stay in the warm until my 38 mins are up.

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:14 am

Having been a member of SJA a few years ago, or up unitl i joined the Specials back in '96 and being Ambo Aid 1 trained i feel that the 1st aid is not adequate enough for the railway environment. By that i mean we have stabbings, assaults, attempted murders, etc ( or is that just our team at HW ) :lol: to deal with as well as the odd expectant mother and the run of the mill fits.

Just trying to get enough rubbers and anti smell gel is bad enough, with us 'mugging' LAS on a weekly basis, however the blood red scarlet does not match my yellowey greeny hi vi! ( you know what i'm saying ); i did try and get us a defib course after we had 2 people die on us at the station with full resus being done by us and those wonderful off duty medics that travel to and from and the station defib.

Best sound next to an arriving Ambo is ' hello i'm a doctor, can i help. Well you could but what i need right now is a Vet'...Yet to hear a Coroner offer there support ' yeh, call me when there pronounced'... :roll: :twisted: :lol:
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:57 am

This comes down to what we should do and what we like to do, as with much of our role.

In the Met we do not have 1st aid training but emergency life support, which as a former St. Johns member and having had 1st aid at work training, is not the same thing .

Our role is just the very basics and hope the LAS get there fast, even with the bleeding control we are taught we do not carry the bandages to put it in to practice, unless either a local house or shop can give them to you or you can improvise there is little that you can do even with the ELS except CPR
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:02 am

We have one day's first aid training on my course this week. I was surprised that we only have one day. I would have thought an 5 day intermedia course would be more appropiate. If an accident happens where I am the public will look to me first of all and I dont know what use I would be with just one day's training..

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:47 am

:arrow: try your luck with our FIRST AID QUIZ

see what kind of a first aider you really are :wink:

Andrew B
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Andrew B » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:52 am

Im joining St Johns as a volunteer before i apply as a PCSO so i have a better knowledge and understanding of general welfare/dealing with people etc.

Ive already done a life support course :)

i got 97% on the quiz :)
Ex Met PCSO
PC Day 1 Passed 06Sep
PC Day 2 24th February

Current Met PC

melvin
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by melvin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:14 pm

Falk....
Question 6......Male is breathing....It is irregular.
If there is breathing, there is usually a circulation.
Or am I reading the question wrong?

Mel

99%....Darn defib question.... VT or not VT...That was the question.
Fighting crime on the line some of the time.
But you have no hope if im on refs, im gonna stay in the warm until my 38 mins are up.

ruben
Navigator
Navigator

Post by ruben » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:00 pm

86% im affraid!

quite difficult that test! :(
Constable of 6 years, previously PCSO 18 months

Gualsa
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gualsa » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:43 pm

I got 70%.... Lucky my First Aid is tomorrow :wink:

DarkKnight
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by DarkKnight » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:51 pm

I got 68% but I'm not a PCSO and I haven't done a first aid course in 4 years. It was a hard quiz though.
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

Arthur ASCII
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Arthur ASCII » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:10 pm

IMHO there are two correct answers to question 2. If the "severe bleeding is arterial (slashed carotid or femoral artery) the casualty may be dead in seconds from loss of blood. In such a case I would ensure that someone (perhaps the casualy him/herself or the old lady) applied direct pressure - quick before moving on to treat the still/silent one.

Oh and I scored 84% considering we aren't defib trained in Northampton I don't reckon that's too bad.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

could YOU do it??

Post by falkor » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:39 am

PCSO gives CPR whilst on patrol.
By Denise Harvey

PCSO Burt was tutoring a colleague PCSO Maynard in Broadwalk, Harlow Town Centre today at 9.45am, Friday December 21, 2007. Whilst on patrol he was alerted by a family member that a man had collapsed. Stuart attended to the man whilst instructing his colleague to call for an ambulance.

PCSO Stuart Burt said: "I placed the man on his back and saw immediately that he was very grey, I was extremely concerned as I could not find a breath or a pulse, his lips were turning blue. I thought he had already died. I started CPR on him and for about 25 seconds nothing happened and by now I was really worried for him. I gave a hard push on his chest area and the man gave an inward gasp. I can't express to you how I felt at that point, it was extremely emotional. I placed him in the recovery position until the ambulance crew arrived to take over.

Local shoppers were amazing, they also helped by protecting the mans head area by placing blankets so he was comfortable.

After the incident PCSO Stuart Burt resumed his patrols in the town.

Later in the day Harlow police switchboard operators took a call from a consultant at the resus department at Princess Alexandra Hospital stating: "How much he appreciated the officers quick actions, that the thump on the chest started the mans heart again, he would not be alive had it not been for the officers quick response to the situation."

PCSO Burt said: "I think anyone who come across a situation like that would have done the same thing, I am just glad that I was in the right place at the right time to help. I hope the man is still doing ok, I was going to visit him at the hospital but I didn't want to intrude on him and his family. I wish them all a safe and peaceful Christmas."

December 21, 2007

mj12cz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by mj12cz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:48 am

Good on him, I have done it once but the guy didn't make it. You have to try no matter what.
"Its a mother beautiful bridge and its going to be there"

Save the cheer leader, save the world.....

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

lonerider
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by lonerider » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:45 am

Good ending

Good work

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Post by Headset 57 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:38 am

We've got defib training coming up in the new year for us at the station as most of them have them on the concourse, and we have had 2 people die on us last year.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic