• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Dash Cams

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Dash Cams

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Approx 12 months ago I was involved in a damage only bump which wasn't my fault. Another driver offered to be a witness but then proved unresponsive to requests from my insurers to provide a statement leading me to thinking I had lost my excess and that it had gone down as split liability. My insurers kept at it however and he eventually did provide a statement, some 12 months (!) later. However, the other driver is now claiming that there was no witness so the saga continues. Thus my tiny mind turned to thoughts of a dash cam, realising that I could have my very own independent witness sat in my car, so to speak.

I've seen dash cam footage on the internet and it's often of very high quality and I've recently spoken to a chap who has one fitted and who regaled me with a story of how it came in extremely useful. So, with a birthday coming up & wondering what to ask for, I've been researching them on the internet. I've read a number of reviews and have a reasonably good idea of a few to choose from based on features and my budget. Has anyone on here got one, which model etc & what's the verdict?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Re: Dash Cams

Post by falkor » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:39 pm

this sounds worth researching alright, there are systems that just "plug in" and record the whole time you drive quite "automatically"

BTW I am a member of the Ford Forums and saw this thread the other day :slww:
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 am

I've got a Monkon GW1-C dash cam, capacitor version (needs to be plugged in all the time) with a 32Gb card. Plugs into the cig lighter, and because I have a newish fiesta it was fairly easy to remove the plastic trim around the window and hide the wires.

Camera sits behind my wing mirror and records 5.5hours at 1080P resolution. The quality is excellent, number plates are clear and readable.

The cons are that it is a bit fiddly to get the hang of, and you have to delete the videos before it reaches 5.5 hours or it crashes (might just be a bug with mine, it's supposed to overwrite).

They are well worth getting, for the sake of £30.

More expensive models have GPS and other features which I think is a bit unnecessary if all you need is something to sit and record.
Big brother is watching you.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:24 pm

falkor & Big Brother

Thanks for both your replies. I'll certainly be doing a lot of research. I'm not so bothered about having GPS as I expect the camera will confirm the location by what can be seen etc. I do, however, want one that has good night/low light picture quality.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

Xray5

Post by Xray5 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm

I have been using a dash cam for 12 months now. Mine is a Next Base402G, it is a popular brand, available at places like Halfords and online. I find it very good, it was Which? Best Buy 2014 too, has a camera-front facing, HUD facing the driver (assuming you place on your front windscreen), with excellent memory (a Micro SD card lasts for 4 hours continuous recording) with options to add your own vrm, plus it constantly gives a location in terms of long/lat etc.
The resolution is excellent, you can playback on your laptop/pc too. I cannot fault it.

Never needed to use it yet, but the amount of piss poor driving in the area where I work means it is a necessity! I commute a fair distance to work, I average around 21k miles a year, so a lot of motorway driving plus all other roads means I experience a lot of poor driving.

My wife wants one now, as do some pals...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic