• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

can we go to Mars in ten years?

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

can we go to Mars in ten years?

Post by falkor » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:19 pm

[ external image ]
video recorded 12 months back and lasts 15 minutes
It sounds like science fiction, but journalist Stephen Petranek considers it fact: within 20 years, humans will live on Mars. In this provocative talk, Petranek makes the case that humans will become a spacefaring species and describes in fascinating detail how we'll make Mars our next home. "Humans will survive no matter what happens on Earth," Petranek says. "We will never be the last of our kind."
Do you think that Humans will live on Mars within 20 years? Others are already saying Humans will arrive in 10 years time!

Whatever the truth, this 15 minute video is absolutely spell binding :slby:
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: can we go to Mars in ten years?

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:08 pm

For God's sake, falkor, don't you think I have a big enough area to patrol already? I can see the call now . . . Report of 3 little green men hanging around a crater. Can you deal?
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Er, Sarge, I'm with this spacecraft now. It's up on bricks and someone's ripped out the CD player and the interstellar warp drive. Can I arrange recovery?

All patrols, obs please for a high speed spaceship registration number NC1701 driven by a male called Jim and another male described as having pointy ears.

Stop! Police officer with phaser and light saber!

OK lads, we're here for a drugs search. We haven't got a drugs dog so send in the Wookie.

For the last time, PCSO's cannot use the transporter beam system. You'll have to walk.

Look, I thought it was a real police box. How was I to know I'd be sent back to pre-PACE years?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:50 pm

:slbell: I was in the Police for a few good years pre-PACE :sldv: good times

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:41 pm

I was listening to a radio call in show the other day (no idea which one) and a guest scientist was saying the same thing. Base on Mars in 20 years. The thing is, I think we have the technology and the ability to do this and it would be an incredible accomplishment, but..

Who's going to fund this? Is sadly the biggest question and obstacle it seems to me. Is it all down NASA?

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:57 pm

well yes and No :sltgu:

if you check out this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/aspiringmartians/ that group is focused on "Mars One" which is not NASA :slhuh:

no doubt NASA thinks pretty poorly of "Mars One" because it is a private enterprise but not the only private enterprise eyeing this up

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Bit of a risky venture, would be nice if NASA helped them out a bit with some of their expertise. Try to make sure everything goes smoothly.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:18 pm

Bit of a risky venture? I'm with you there Lieutenant, the risks on the JOURNEY THERE alone are truly colossal. it's hard not to be cynical about just the trip there on it's own. nine months, all the way there and yes I know it can be done but what sort of shape are our heroes going to be in, at the end of that 9 months anyway?

should they arrive on Mars in any kind of picture of health at all then the real nightmare begins. as far as I am concerned they should all be on double time

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:57 pm

Oh great. 9 months of "are we there yet" "I feel sick" " I need a wee". And that's just me. And then you land and realise that :

a. you left the kitchen light on
b. you didn't cancel the papers
c. you forgot the can opener.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:43 pm

nice one PM :slwoot:

all this 9 months stuff is pretty absurd really, but it is based on current technology of course

In the background, various people are getting their ION DRIVE on the drawing board, their nuclear fission drive oh and what about the warp drive, well no actually the "short distance" of Earth to Mars would not apply to any such "short cut" 4th dimensional travel

even so, futuristic travel "engines" are in the pipeline that will cut that 9 months down to half or less and will be far more manageable and less risky to accomplish

and when I say "in the pipeline" what does that mean? 20 years? 30 years ahead? will any of it actually ever happen in reality? :slzz2:

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:35 am

Apart from my flippant comments, how about this thought?

Take all the money currently spent on this project of "how we can get to Mars and survive there etc" and spend it on sorting out the mess we've made of our current home? The pollution, the millions of homeless and starving people, the millions without access to clean drinking water and decent sanitation, the wildlife habitats lost and species pushed close to extinction.

Let's get those problems sorted out before we go off into space and f*ck up another planet.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Post by falkor » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:47 pm

that would be nice but pointless with the unstoppable acceleration in human population that we now have
It took hundreds of thousands of years for the world population to grow to 1 billion – then in just another 200 years or so, it grew sevenfold. In 2011, the global population reached the 7 billion mark, and today, it stands at about 7.3 billion. According to current projections, the global population will reach eight billion by 2024, and will likely reach around nine billion by 2037.
pretty soon it will be standing room only

maybe Mars will then be the only sane place to go

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by powdermonkey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Maybe we should start culling people in the same way we do, for example, deer that are too numerous for their habitat?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic