By Victoria Ward 6:57PM GMT 26 Jan 2012
The practice was exposed by parking warden Hakim Berkani, 45, who was sacked for refusing to issue large numbers of tickets.
Mr Berkani won his employment tribunal after judge Jeremy Burns ruled that his opposition to the secret quota scheme could not “justify dismissal”.
The father of two, from Wandsworth, south London, lost his job last February after tipping off a driver who was about to be given a ticket.
Mr Berkani claimed that he was harassed and eventually dismissed by NSL, the contractor, because he preferred to warn motorists that they had parked illegally rather than issue a fine.
Details of the minimum quota policy were disclosed in evidence after other wardens revealed that they were under pressure to meet secret targets.
[ external image ]
Hakim Berkani preferred to warn motorists that they had parked illegally rather than issue a fine
Internal emails suggested that wardens were expected to issue an "absolute minimum" of ten tickets a day to avoid being disciplined.
It was claimed that one colleague was held up as an "excellent example" for issuing 35 tickets, known Penalty Charge Notices, in a single shift.
A letter from an unnamed warden said it was "very difficult to issue a genuine and honest PCN” in the wealthy London borough of Kensington and Chelsea, because the residents were “unbelievable well-behaved”.
Another warden claimed that he was told his PCN productivity was “the worst of all" and a third said he was "targeted" by a supervisor for "not taking part in the dodgy practices” and failing to issue enough tickets
Mr Burns, sitting at the Central London Employment Tribunal, found that Mr Berkani was unfairly dismissed for his "opposition to the respondent's clandestine quote system" and his trade union activity.
He said Mr Berkani only issued tickets as "a last resort" and that disciplinary proceedings against him, following three years of service, were a “sham” designed to get rid of him.
Wardens "felt under considerable pressure” to issue parking tickets, he added, and as a result, “some adopted a predatory and in some cases dishonest rather than co-operative approach to motorists."
Chelsea resident Alasdair Seton-Marsden, 49, a former marketing director and FTSE 100 board director, studied law in order to represent Mr Berkani at the three-day hearing.
- by falkor Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 am everybody, please donate £10 View the latest post Replies 1 Views 426
- by AdamHick Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 pm roll call - COFFEE TIME! View the latest post Replies 149 Views 56765
- by powdermonkey Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm 'Chuggers' employed to flag down shoppers View the latest post Replies 2 Views 712
- by lilly5 Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:45 pm eyesight requirements- confusion? View the latest post Replies 6 Views 979
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1002
- by falkor Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:58 pm the Age of Criminal Responsibility Bill View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1452
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 10000
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1328
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1444
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1016
- by The Highway Man Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:27 pm Happy Christmas!! View the latest post Replies 3 Views 863
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1227
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:13 am Is the site broken ? View the latest post Replies 21 Views 2923
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:12 am Staffordshire Police View the latest post Replies 27 Views 3147
- by falkor Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:41 am CUMBRIA: CC speaks out against proposals for further cuts View the latest post Replies 1 Views 836
- by falkor Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54 pm MP says she wants police out and about instead of being sat in police stations View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1248
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1458
- by Bert Moffat Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:30 pm 2016 PCSO Calendar (5MB download) View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1616
- by gibbsw42 Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:30 pm holiday allowance? how much and when? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1182
- by Bert Moffat Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am download our business cards View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1153
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 982
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:49 am 'Biteback' dog spray View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1071
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 917
- by JimmyRiddle Fri May 22, 2015 7:24 am Election TV debate: our Leaders clash View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1298
- by Bert Moffat Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:10 am RoDs - Retired on Duty View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1086
- by powdermonkey Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:22 pm Two-thirds of jailed drug offenders has string of previous View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1083
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1628
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1435
- by the dark lord Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 pm is anti climb paint legal? can you use it at home? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1240
- by powdermonkey Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm Traffic wardens 'pressured' into issuing tickets View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1387
- by Big Brother Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:38 am End of the UK paper driving licence! View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1055
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:34 pm First police force faces 'going out of business' View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1271
- by falkor Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:08 pm Happy Christmas you Merry Santas! View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1017
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1236
- by powdermonkey Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:23 am have you even seen your register of hospitality? View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1048
- by Acorn Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:13 pm We should not have to pay for private security!! View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1159
- by the dark lord Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:51 am Major changes to ASB legislation go live today View the latest post Replies 15 Views 2292
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 973
- by Big Brother Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:54 pm Ever heard of a CRIMINAL BEHAVIOUR ORDER?? View the latest post Replies 3 Views 886
- by falkor Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:13 pm wikileaks, saviour? or maverick? View the latest post Replies 6 Views 2177
- by naughtygoose Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:21 pm Starting in WYP on 29th Dec View the latest post Replies 1 Views 738
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2432
- by Bert Moffat Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:59 pm 57 per cent rise in the number of PCSOs in Wales View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1304
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 1900
- by falkor Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 pm doing a witness statement from a victim View the latest post Replies 9 Views 1740
- by powdermonkey Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:13 pm Cyclists should have number plates says PCC View the latest post Replies 2 Views 831
- by powdermonkey Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:07 am Calling all coffee addicts View the latest post Replies 1 Views 793
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.
I wonder if there'll be any repercussions (hopefully the sack) for those who made the decision to unfairly dismiss Mr. Berkani. There should be no targets for numbers of tickets issued and the directors of NSL should be fined and any council staff proven to approve of the targets should face dismissal themselves.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.