New guidelines for social media will ensure that Twitter and Facebook users who post offensive messages online must pass a “high threshold” before facing prosecution, and could avoid prosecution altogether by apologising.
Heather Saul 20 June 2013
Keir Starmer QC, Director of Public Prosecutions has published guidelines for prosecutors who are taking on cases involving communications sent via social media.
The guidelines are being implemented to address the “potential chilling effect” that the high number of prosecutions in cases where a communication might be considered grossly offensive, said Mr Starmer.
Social media ‘trolls’ have become an online phenomenon, and usually post offensive, upsetting and inflammatory comments on networks such as Twitter and Facebook, where their posts may be seen publicly.
Now, under the new guidelines, prosecutions could be rendered unnecessary if the person who has posted the offensive post “has expressed genuine remorse” or has taken “swift and effective action” to “remove the communication in question or otherwise block access to it”. A prosecution could also be avoided if the communication “was not intended for a wide audience, nor was the obvious consequence of sending the communication”.
The guidelines, published on Thursday, seek to make the distinction between communications that should be prosecuted, such as those that amount to a credible threat of violence, a targeted campaign of harassment against an individual or which breach court orders, and those communications which may be considered grossly offensive, to which the high threshold must apply.
- by falkor Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:21 pm Christmas on the telly? View the latest post Replies 1 Views 109
- by powdermonkey Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm Britain has voted to leave the European Union View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1181
- by powdermonkey Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:29 pm Detention Officers £14,529 – £18.093 (on appointment) View the latest post Replies 5 Views 2883
- by powdermonkey Fri May 27, 2016 10:29 am our Ch Insps are of such low calibre and lacking the requisite skills View the latest post Replies 2 Views 2611
- by powdermonkey Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:49 am The Northants PCSO who is riding tall View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1087
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1197
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 10483
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1552
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1691
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1211
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1439
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:12 am Staffordshire Police View the latest post Replies 27 Views 3427
- by falkor Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:54 pm MP says she wants police out and about instead of being sat in police stations View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1441
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1671
- by Big Brother Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:10 pm upgrading from Windows7/ 8 to 10 View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1398
- by Bert Moffat Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:56 am download our business cards View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1331
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1143
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:49 am 'Biteback' dog spray View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1240
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1081
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1856
- by falkor Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 am Joint Enterprise? is it justice? should it be cancelled? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1581
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1593
- by powdermonkey Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:48 pm Charlie Hebdo magazine View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1376
- by powdermonkey Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:21 pm First day at training school View the latest post Replies 9 Views 1692
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1421
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1142
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2621
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 2089
- by falkor Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 pm Artificial intelligence is our 'biggest existential threat' View the latest post Replies 1 Views 981
- by falkor Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 pm doing a witness statement from a victim View the latest post Replies 9 Views 1946
- by falkor Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:01 pm Applications for Police Now open on Oct 15, with 50 places View the latest post Replies 1 Views 932
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.