Applications for Police Now open on October 15, with 50 places in London and salaries of £28,500
[ external image ] 50 vacancies for dedicated ward officers
Detective Inspector Garnett wants to attract more graduates like her to the police. Last year she and her colleague Detective Inspector Dave Spencer together dreamt up an initiative called Police Now (though he credits her with the pinging lightbulb moment).
The scheme is inspired by Teach First, the educational initiative that puts top graduates into schools in deprived areas and which Garnett’s mother, Dame Julia Cleverdon, once chaired. Applications for Police Now open on October 15, with 50 places in London and salaries of £28,500.
Police Now is open to those with a 2:1 in any subject who meet all the usual eyesight, age, fitness and health requirements. They don’t just want recent graduates; they are happy to take “double bouncers” from other careers.
Those chosen will initially sign up for a two-year stint in uniform, later deciding whether to stay or try another career. “The average graduate job is 2.6 years,” notes Garnett. “The 35-year career that we once offered is not going to suit everybody.”
Each graduate on the scheme will be assigned a specific ward where they will be the main responsible officer. The day-to-day work will vary according to the needs of the patch, but it will be on the frontline as a community officer.
“You can see a problem and deal with it from beginning to end,” PC Panton, 35, tells me. “Because you are front-line you can see your positive impact. You are working in the neighbourhood, speaking to the community. They’re the ones who will ultimately judge you on your performance. You’re responsible for 5,000 or 10,000 residents. You’re not just an officer in uniform — you’re a personality.”
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 988
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 9986
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1326
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1437
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1014
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1223
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1446
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 974
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 910
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1622
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1432
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1234
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 964
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2428
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 1895
- by falkor Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:01 pm Applications for Police Now open on Oct 15, with 50 places View the latest post Replies 1 Views 800
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.