[ external image ]
White Horse News 7-OCT-2014
Neil Turnbull, a Police Community Support Officer (PCSO) in Westbury, will be running the total 172 miles for the charity in just seven days; an event he has named ‘The Far Side of Beyond Ultramarathon’.
He will begin the ultramarathon at Alderbury Police Station on Wednesday 5th November, before running to 19 police stations in Wiltshire and finishing in Royal Wootton Bassett on Tuesday 11th. The PCSO will then join the Royal British Legion’s Remembrance Day service and lay a wreath on behalf of Wiltshire Police.
To complete the challenge Neil, who spent 12 years in the Royal Tank Regiment before becoming a police officer, will have to run between 25 and 30 miles – a marathon or more – every day. He is confident his 35 years of running experience will make the physical element much less daunting than the mental effort.
Neil, 49, said, “People have told me the running will be 10% physical effort and 90% mental. I ran 50 miles in one go once, but I’ve never run such a great distance in this short a time before. No doubt the run will be longer than planned as I fully expect to take the odd wrong turn!
support Neil Turnbull, sponsor Neil Turnball
“There will be a range of emotions during the runs, but I think the hardest part will be getting up and starting every morning. My training was going really well until the summer; I got distracted while my daughter was off school, then injured the medial collateral ligament in my knee. I’ve just finished a three-week hiatus ordered by the doctor and am starting to build the miles back up with my brace on.
“I know it’ll be hard but I’m really excited about the ultramarathon and just want it to happen now!
“I believe greatly in the value of Help for Heroes’ work, because the military has always been such a huge part of my life. Finishing the event in Wootton Bassett on 11/11 seemed very apt and poignant.
- by JimmyRiddle Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:13 am Motorway Patrol UK View the latest post Replies 2 Views 1069
- by Pedge Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:16 pm PCSO videos only!! View the latest post Replies 63 Views 10172
- by wiggum Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:10 am btp free travel?? View the latest post Replies 13 Views 1425
- by wiggum Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:01 pm roll call 2016 View the latest post Replies 10 Views 1538
- by Bert Moffat Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:12 pm All the best.... View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1090
- by Xray5 Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:16 pm Dash Cams View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1317
- by powdermonkey Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:00 am legal tender? View the latest post Replies 5 Views 1534
- by falkor Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm 2014 PCSO documentary View the latest post Replies 1 Views 1046
- by gibbsw42 Tue May 26, 2015 2:04 pm error View the latest post Replies 3 Views 981
- by falkor Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm first dungeon of 2015 View the latest post Replies 8 Views 1719
- by JimmyRiddle Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:39 pm Route to PC View the latest post Replies 3 Views 1493
- by naughtygoose Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm Polishing boots View the latest post Replies 6 Views 1319
- by powdermonkey Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:58 am swap a role View the latest post Replies 4 Views 1040
- by Big Brother Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:20 pm Boots (again!) View the latest post Replies 13 Views 2507
- by Raven Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 pm Recruitment is back on View the latest post Replies 15 Views 1971
OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.