• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Sorry but ET is just a dream says Prof Brian Cox

OFF TOPIC is for any news story not directly linked to PCSO issues, off duty leisure pursuits. Sailing down the Thames. Playing computer games or basket weaving.

Moderator: national-PCSOs

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Sorry but ET is just a dream says Prof Brian Cox

Post by falkor » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:53 pm

[ external image ]
26 Oct 2014 Sunday Times
HUMANS are probably the sole masters of the universe, because the evolutionary flukes that gave rise to us are highly unlikely ever to have happened on another planet, according to Professor Brian Cox.

He has stepped into one of science’s longest-lasting controversies: could intelligent life have evolved on any planet besides Earth? His conclusion: we are alone.

Cox’s reasoning derives largely from one observation — we have never seen any alien artefacts. He argues that, if any such intelligence had evolved, it would have spread itself or its space probes across the galaxy — and we have seen nothing.

Their absence, he argues, “suggests that there is only one advanced technological civilisation in this galaxy and there has only ever been one — and that’s us. We are unique.”
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

powdermonkey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Sorry but ET is just a dream says Prof Brian Cox

Post by powdermonkey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:32 pm

"evolutionary flukes"

There's a few of them living on my beat.

"alien artefacts"

Given the state of some of the residents on my beat, that'll be a bar of soap.
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:17 pm

haha cheers PM :D

the Prof's done a 1 hour programme on BBCTV to tell you why he thinks ET is just a dream

Professor Brian Cox explores mankind's place in the universe. He considers the possibility of alien life - could it exist and will humans ever find it?

"Is intelligent life out there?" First shown: 9pm 21 Oct 2014 - Available for 29 days
pretty good hour of TV, if you have iplayer, sit back and have a look, I did yesterday ;)
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:17 am

Good chance he's right but we'll probably never know for sure, the universe is quite a big place. Will we ever have the technology available to travel out of the Milky Way? I'm waiting to see if we'll even be able to survive a trip to Mars, that should be interesting.

Think it's fair to say though, we're never going to get a situation where several alien species get together for a drink down the local pub like in Star Trek, Star Wars, Mass Effect, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic